"Invalid Trianlges" ingame, fine in editor

SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
Ok, I'm really frustrated right now. After playing around with the editor the last couple of days I actually thought "hey, why not try creating a small map" again.
Startet with a small room, played around with textures, props, etc. to get a reference for the look for the rest of the map, and it worked fine...

Then I started working on the basic greybox/redbox layout, added sme corridors, etc. - And that broke the map.
The game shows a "Warning: 567 invalid triangles" when loading the map, and when spawning, there are planes all over the place, vertices connected to other vertices on the other side of the map!

A quick forum search turned out "restart the editor, load and safe the map" as possible solution. Tried it a couple of times, didn't work.
I went on a gradualy removed all the greybox areas where I could see the "invalid triangles" connect to in-game with wireframe. Didn't help either. The number of invalid triangles changes (goes down as I remove more and more geometry), but so does the "source". Everytime I make a small change (even just adding a plane somewhere in the void) the number of invalid triangles changes and the area affected changes.

Now I'm back to the room I started with, and actually removed some of the previously working geometry, and it's still invalid. The affected geometry seems completely random each time I cange and safe (but mostly "clustered" at one secion of the room).

Seriously, WTF? noergel.gif

Comments

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I get this all the time too, but the solution you described (load map in the editor again, then save the map again) always works for me. :\
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    No success, tried it multiple times. Just restarting, loading and saving will result in the exact same number and position of the invalid triangles though, so it's not completely random (we just don't know what the cause is). I tried it with Steam active in the background and without. Used builder, tried it without, etc.
    I wish there was ANY information on what causes this, so I could actually try and fix it in the map. Right now it just seems like a random editor fsckup.
    QQ thumbdown.gif
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Save map as another name, restart editor open map and save map as original name.

If you get the reflections problem, you need to clear your temp folder where the reflection stuff is stored for the game.
    Ok, tried that load-save stuff again, to no avail
    - started the editor
    - loaded ns2_redline.level
    - saved the map as ns2_stopbreakingmymapyoustupideditor.level
    - closed the editor
    - restarted my computer (so nobody can pull a "have you tried turning it off an on again")
    - started the editor
    - loaded ns2_stopbreakingmymapyoustupideditor.level
    - saved as ns2_redline.level
    - both maps give me the same 271 invalid triangles. Yay...

There are no reflection probes in the map yet, so there should be no data for that, but if you point me to the right diretory, I'll double check.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    If you send me the map I'll see if it fixes it for me.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i had the same problem when i was making the maps for factions, and the solution i found was:
    close editor
    start editor
    load map
    click on random faces / move camera / but dont really change anything
    save map
    -> fixed
    Tried it a couple of times and it just doesn't seem to work :(
    I actually ran into a situation where the map would be messed up WITHOUT the console displaying the "invalid triangles" message when loading. Very weird.
    I sent my map file to a friend and had him open-safe it. His file does work.
    Confusing, irritating, demotivating...
    Thanks for all the feedback though.
    Delete the files in the root directory and verify.