May I rant about the community's competitive players behavior about pub stomping?

flimflamflimflam Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157572Members
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
You cannot justify extending a PUB stomp by 20-30 minutes, because you feel victimize by the community and say "I never get to play with my friends"

All of you who wear "CLAN TAGS" - You represent the CORE of this game's success and you spit at its legacy with CHILDISH behavior.

This community is filled with generous gamers with compassion and not selfish mindsets.

Discuss.

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    It only takes 1-2 good players to ruin a server because of the vast difference in skill and game awareness. This was a lot less of a problem when the beta was in its last stages because most people new what they were doing. Give it time, people will get better and we will again have a greater ratio of competent players than not. Thank every steam sale for resetting the balance =D Good for UWE's pockets but terrible for my personal pub experience. I generally quit pubbing for 1-2 weeks after a sale.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I've seen way too much of this recently, not throwing out any names here though.
    Certain players have a fetish with going to green marked servers
    (Yes, I know "this means nothing, green means nothing" but to a new player, it means everything.)
    and stacking a team to mow down the hordes of rookies. Recently it has even gotten to the point of flat out trolling rookies, talking $#@% to them and about them and making them not enjoy the game at all.

Frankly, this behavior is sickening and isn't justifiable with "lolol drama, cool off" or any of that such.
    My favorite argument has to be that "the playerbase is too small, uwe doesnt make MP balanced"
    If you're going to !@#$% about the playerbase being too small, don't be the cause.

/RANT

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    I've seen way too much of this recently, not throwing out any names here though.
    (Yes, I know "this means nothing, green means nothing" but to a new player, it means everything.)
    and stacking a team to mow down the hordes of rookies. Recently it has even gotten to the point of flat out trolling rookies, talking $#@% to them and about them and making them not enjoy the game at all.

Frankly, this behavior is sickening and isn't justifiable with "lolol drama, cool off" or any of that such.
    My favorite argument has to be that "the playerbase is too small, uwe doesnt make MP balanced"
    If you're going to !@#$% about the playerbase being too small, don't be the cause.

/RANT
    It's not like it's intentional. You just kind of play the game and end up wrecking shit because you're better than everyone else. It's not like comp players go into a pub with the mentality: "I hate people who are new and want to kill them because I feel like pretending i'm good." No one thinks like that. Really, comp players can't help but go extremely positive and carry. Don't blame them.
  • flimflamflimflam Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157572Members
    shriike wrote: »
    It's not like it's intentional. You just kind of play the game and end up wrecking shit because you're better than everyone else. It's not like comp players go into a pub with the mentality: "I hate people who are new and want to kill them because I feel like pretending i'm good." No one thinks like that. Really, comp players can't help but go extremely positive and carry. Don't blame them.

I haven't made myself clear enough.

There is a mindset that you are victimized by your massive kdr/skill/knowledge of the game; the point i'm making is those who use excuses to make RIDICULOUSLY long pub stomp after typical pub stomps, and use, "Because of my skill, the community requires me NOT to have fun because I'm not playing with my friends now" is a very weak and childish excuse for you to HAVE to play with the BEST PLAYERS, whom are your steam friends, whom know your smurf name, who after round and round always stack because - well, I'm selfish, I have 1000 hours but I dont get to play with my friends.

That mentality is what is killing this game.
    draktok wrote: »
    You can't flim flam the zim zam

my name means deceit - and created wayyy before that awful GZ case. You validate my point.
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    These threads always end the same. It's not (insert random pub stompers fault) because they have absolutely no choice whatsoever but to join a 24 player green server and run roughshod over new players. They can't help it they have absolutely no other choice, it's beyond their control. Seeding is a disastrous waste of their precious time and this is the only way they can possibly play with their friends is by stacking every round.

Or at least that's the same shit that gets thrown out every time. How about we just face the fact some people like to stomp and nothing will be done about it. All you can do is drop and join one of the many servers with active admins or high level players that will try and balance teams. The new player experience is a glaring weak spot in this game, but servers like the Rookie Only server at least give them a fighting chance. All the "how to NS2" video's in the world won't help a green player against a stacked high skill team.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    How, exactly, is this our fault? We aren't (all) directly trying to pubstomp, you do realise 5 minute games arent fun for us too right?
    "this is killing the game!!! hyurr" Without any actual Logic or backup proof to it. kthxbai.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @FlimFlam Regarding your argument of ridiculously long pub stomping, I have played with my friends in a pub where we destroy the other team. Not gonna deny that. But rather than concede, most of the time people want to turtle, which therefore, creates an insanely and often irritatingly longer game. It has happened so often that most us just concede when the Marines turtle just so we can get on to the next game. You can blame "pub stompers", but try to look at both sides. Fortifying a base a spamming GLs can be extremely annoying. Hence the reason, I usually just play pugs now. A simple "gg" and F4 is the best way to concede.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    most of the time people want to turtle, which therefore, creates an insanely and often irritatingly longer game.

Can you blame them for wanting to have fun despite being woefully outclassed as players?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Well considering there are few "rookie ONLY" servers, tutorial videos, sandbox, etc., no, I don't feel bad about having a high K/D in most of my games. The gaming experience, for me at least, is playing with friends. It is a lot more enjoyable playing with friends, talking about stuff, and having a good time rather than playing against each other in silence with strangers. I can't help the fact that I have friends that really understand how to play the game.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I don't call myself a pro, but I can certainty do well in a game (better if the people have no idea what they are doing). One day, joining a green server I felt like marine com.

It's annoying but fun to com noobs but as we played I noticed a fade decimating the ranks. Some complaints at this point, but he hadn't done much so I was in the AuroN2 camp. This was ok for a few games.

Later, mineshaft I noticed his k/d. 142 kills. 2 deaths. Quite frankly I am surprised we all stayed, one of those deaths was me hopping out with a dropped shotgun and pulse nade telling someone else to hop in "and rain healfire on me".

Even that might have been fine, but he didn't ever say anything. No talk, no "try using a shotgun" just kills.

I hope it was fun for him :(
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm the comm for my team. This means I don't actually get to play field at all when scrimming. So if I want to join a server and I happen to do really well and it pisses people off, tough shit. I don't intentionally stack, but I do perform better than most of the people on the servers I play on (only 2-3 servers ever full in Australia so don't say find another one). The only time I get to play field is in pubs, and I'm going to do it.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013

/RANT

I guess when an NFL pro team plays against a Jr HS football team and crushes them I won't blame the Packers either.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Here we go again.....
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    JuCCi wrote: »
    Here we go again.....

I already used the "we made this thread six times image" but just imagine its right here.
    I want to keep this more on-topic related to how skilled players whom join friends, realize that after 4-5 rounds of "playing with friends" is 1.5 hours of bad gameplay for 14+ other people.

And (more on topic because of the title) how competitive players should be the forefront of keeping sportsmanship alive because when they join games with their friends, they greatly affect pub games- And when everyone is back in ReadyRoom, of course there are complaints, but the responses, all i hear is selfish excuses.

That's after some people put many hours into a game for the FUN aspect.

edited November 2013
    ezekel wrote: »

a pro nfl team has competition to face against

these threads can stop, the game doesn't have the playercount so that these 'better' players have other 'better' players to play against, make a valiant effort to get good players against one another and just play out the match and have fun or whatever; if losing makes you upset then practice and get better

Then you are just saying that the community sucks and have no real sportsmanship or respect for their fellow gamer. The tide could turn to the effect that all servers kick anyone getting close to a "l337" score and removing said solid waste matter of a player and replace them with someone with more compassion for the better of the group and not their own selfish idealogy that the better of the group must serve the few and frankly, sorry lot of disrespectful saps iv'e ever played with, and one of the reasons i decline any form of competitive invite. The apathy towards ever coming to terms that maybe the main (pre-release) crowd could be more of an active role than "Oh here we go again..."
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    No, you cannot rant. =D
    The game's fine as it is, however, UWE needs to put some serious work into the skill rating system.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members

/RANT

I guess when an NFL pro team plays against a Jr HS football team and crushes them I won't blame the Packers either.

Yeah because the NFL pro team had no other options?
    flimflam wrote: »
    The tide could turn to the effect that all servers kick anyone getting close to a "l337" score and removing said solid waste matter of a player and replace them with someone with more compassion for the better of the group and not their own selfish idealogy that the better of the group must serve the few and frankly, sorry lot of disrespectful saps iv'e ever played with, and one of the reasons i decline any form of competitive invite.
    Sure, let's just ALL players that have a good KD and a good score. And given your attitude towards comp players, I wouldn't expect any more invites. I wouldn't want an attitude like yours on my team.

I've learned a lot from playing with comp players. Every single one I've played with has a great attitude and doesn't mind helping out new players, in pubs or in pugs. Maybe you could give them a chance and talk to them or play a few pugs with them before saying they are all "dissrepectful saps."

• PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    @flimflam you sound mad. This goes both ways. I hardly even touch a pub anymore because of the huge shitshow of incompetence and lack of teamwork, and in turn hardly play any NS2 anymore. The broken record of how every server should cater to the lowest common denominator is driving the people away we should be trying to keep.

I'm not concerned about losing the $6 steam sale wow player getting stomped and quitting an hour later. I'm concerned about losing the competent FPS player that can't experience how amazing the asymetrical gameplay can be because it's near impossible to achieve in a pub, so they move on.

Please stop being so short-sighted with the "that guy is 40-2, it must be all his fault" bullshit threads. It's been done before.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    RisingSun wrote: »
    It only takes 1-2 good players to ruin a server

It's when the 2 good players both keep joining the same team that games start to turn into pubstomps.

"stop preventing us from playing with our friends"
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited November 2013
    I don't think it's the pubstomping, as much as it is the negative attitudes of certain people.

Some of these "pro" players are so good they can often unbalance an entire server alone, yet they think it's cool to toss out insults when the inevitable complaints occur.

Decent "pro" players will laugh and/or apologize, often even giving out tips to help the other team do better. They usually switch teams in between games, and sometimes even comm in an effort to keep it fun for everyone. - You can't blame them for being good either, they deserve to play as much as we do..

On the other hand, I see too many "pro" players who immediately respond with insults, trash talking, profanity, etc. They always pick the same team, never comm, insult their own team if they aren't good enough, etc. - There is really no need for such uncivilized childish behavior. It only serves to drive players away from the game. (Especially new players)

PaLaGi wrote: »
    @flimflam you sound mad. This goes both ways. I hardly even touch a pub anymore because of the huge shitshow of incompetence and lack of teamwork, and in turn hardly play any NS2 anymore. The broken record of how every server should cater to the lowest common denominator is driving the people away we should be trying to keep.

I'm not concerned about losing the $6 steam sale wow player getting stomped and quitting an hour later. I'm concerned about losing the competent FPS player that can't experience how amazing the asymetrical gameplay can be because it's near impossible to achieve in a pub, so they move on.

Please stop being so short-sighted with the "that guy is 40-2, it must be all his fault" bullshit threads. It's been done before.

Stay on topic people. I am talking about when its 3/4 SAME competitive people "wanting to play with friends"

@PaLaGi

I find it hilarious you say you hardly play and yet you are the 40-2 people, and it's because of incompetence and lack of teamwork.

If you say that your game time in NS2 is not worth the effort of your own fun, a main aspect of gaming, how do you think those $6 sale wow players learn off the typical endless stomp, you have no say to come "back" to NS2 and say my complaint is not rampant about ALL of gaming.

I expected SOO much more from NS2 & its community, thats why I bought into Alpha.

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    if losing makes you upset then practice and get better

This is such a terrible response.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    flimflam wrote: »
    All of you who wear "CLAN TAGS" - You represent the CORE of this game's success and you spit at its legacy with CHILDISH behavior.

I wear a "clan tag", even though there is no real clan and I have never seen any of my friends play this game. I am also far from good aim.

Your argument is invalid.
    Let me end this whole rant tonight with an anecdote and a morale story. (and so be it if the post is closed)

I'm a damn believer of a good fight. My brother and I NEVER get to play together on ANY damn team games together. We are the elite gamers of our gamer friends group (It runs in our blood). When we do even play games together, it's two player cooperative [yea portal]. So LANs - You know, what, It sucks sacrificing not playing with my friend. We've learned that good games come from good competition. I'm sure you competitive players know what I'm talking about. SO pretty much every gathering of our friends group consists of my brother and I, my wingman and my backup (givemethatmag,heretakethisnade) ALWAYS PLAYING OPPOSITE TEAMS - I love my brother, but the camaraderie and desire to inspire my team to shatter my best friend....capture that flag; pick off power; choose the wrong path, know there is a grin on the other side of that com link - matches even the first time installing this game

& then I hear pathetic excuses from some of you lot - after 3...4 rounds/1.5hours of poor gameplay...

I never get to play with my "best friend" and you know what, my brother and I scream and shout more because there's nothing like a good fight.