Favorite NS memory

Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
Go on what is your past or present.

I still remember playing on a 56k waaaay back when and winning no idea how but good times along with regular updates etc. (being able to build was a big deal too!) very exciting.

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Chilling in a chatroom on Halloween, waiting for NS 1.0 to be released. :)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Checking out new mod on LAN:
    "Wow those graphics.. w.. .wowow... stop, stop, lemme look at you... wow"
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    edited November 2013
    Combat, xmenu, buildmenu, siege, MvM
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mine ladders, oh the joy. Some of the maps were great for climbing.

• MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Secret rooms on custom maps, seems to be an unwritten rule! (e.g siege maps)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Banning Dux on YO. ;-)

Regs nights on NS1. Steve Irwin Tribute in a custom version of a map.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Regs nights on NS1
    It's really too bad you killed NS2 Regs Nights.

• DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    CoFR server.
    Oh jeez, old memories...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Getting eaten by an onos as HA, then popping out when it gets killed at the DCs and killing the gorge.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    So many..
    Anything gorge related. Because the ns2 gorge doesnt come even close to ns1's awesome.
    any movement inbetween different heighs with all the height differences, doors etc. I miss those so much.
    Any long fight so balanced it took over 4 hours to finish.
  • PostawaPostawa Join Date: 2007-02-08 Member: 59912Members
    edited November 2013
    Co_kestrel, fall maps, lerk lift, gorge hook, xmenu..

Combat mod was the most fun I've ever had in any game. So many great custom maps and mods!
  • ParityParity Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187335Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    When they added that lerk flight didn't use energy, it made for some hilarious script induced craziness.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh shit. Been a long time since I've seen that.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited November 2013
    When the aliens lost all hives on a siege map and everyone was cowering in the vent with the Defense Chambers and I put on "Staying alive" from the Bee Gees through the voice chat. Everyone was dancing, lol.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Oh shit. Been a long time since I've seen that.

NSTR :D
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I've got plenty of wonderful memories, here's one:

During an ENSL match in ns_orbital, we had some fight over a growing 2nd hive at Generator going on, me commanding the marine team. Meanwhile on the complete other side of the map Toothy was healing up as a fade, preparing to teleport to the hive under attack. Little did he know we had planted a random minefield in the Generator hive's bridge to help our push.

The following happened in a some fractions of a second: Someone throws a random hand gren into the general hive room area. Toothy finishes healing up the fade on the safe hive and teleports to the hive under attack. His teleport brings him in random spawn point, right in the middle of all 4 mines and right in the immediate flying path of the hand gren. Somehow the hand gren explosion triggers all the mines, the fade vaporizes before anyone could even see it. From the comm viewpoint you could see a huge explosion and maybe catch a groan in the middle of it, but no way you could confirm there was a fade there. My initial thought was some poor gorge had been fried up in the minefield.

We had to check the game again afterwards to understand why the fade wasn't around later on in the hive defence and what happened to the mines. I don't even want to guess the odds of so many things coming together with such flawless timing.

---

Also, this was lots of fun. At this point we were somewhere 2nd tier and the opponents were pretty much the top dogs in Europe. We had to pull off a few rabbit packs out of the hat to deal damage.

Needless to say we still lost the round, but seeing the confused skulks followed up by the explosion was hilarious to watch from the comm view.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    There's so many good memories, from the story of my classmate about this new game where he juggled around a defence chamber with a gorge and killed 2 marines, keeping in mind that he didnt call them defense chambers, or it a gorge, or what he killed marines either. Such a bizarre story made me try the game later on. There's a bunch of memories from the time in pub ns1 back when everyone joined for gathers, we had fek'lyrs(wondering if im mistyping this), reddog, ugh(?), elpheer, urd and some other clans i cant place for that time period. But in the end, most of them we're made with my mates in el'pheer.

Most memorable was the nightcup finals against knife, we were greatly outmatched but made them work for it tieing couple maps with alien games. In the end, we've had so many people come and go, and had great times with.

I can only hope, that the competitive scene in ns2 carries on for a long time to come, to create more memories.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Ahhhhh, these are the good old days! back in 2004!!
    ns_eclipse001.JPG
    ns_hera0.JPG
    ns_rust0000.jpg
    ns_veil0.JPG
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    Good times, thanks for sharing been a pleasure reading. Reliving good times
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Good old jetpack rushes, were awesome when it worked.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    My favourite memory is learning all the NS1 maps. They were so iconic, different and fun. Welding, elevators, rotating doors, huge rooms, complicated vent systems, darkness, nameless rooms, overpowered seige spots, placing SC chambers in vents.

ns_hera - holographic room
    Walking along the upper paramount, waiting 30 seconds for that skulk that I knew was about to pop out. Then being swarmed by 2-3 seperate skulks running up the wall beneath me to scare the crap out of me.

First thought: OMG, this is so damn cool.

ns_nancy - Darkness / Atmospherics
    That map was just dark, looked like an onos had gone through it smashing / breaking everything. Truely was such a fun map.

First time I saw an onos, thinking.......... OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

ns_bast - Refinary
    The biggest room EVER. Holy moley, this room was just damn cool. Bast had the most complicated / insane vent system as well. Took me so long to learn the vents on that map.

ns_bast - Elevator from marine spawn
    Dropping down elevator shaft into a team of skulks waiting to chomp your ass

ns_bast - Rotating door at marine spawn
    Going through the door, taking 4-5 seconds to eventually rotate into marine heaven. 2 ONos + 1 fade waiting to eat me
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    All the crazy relocates, the soundscape, the doors, elevators, welding vents, more extensive vent systems, Red Room last stands, Ninja phase gates, and stealth tactics, Ladders, Mine Ladders, Maps having a vertical feel, Siege maps, you know all the fun stuff that is missing from NS2 due to it ruining the game for comp.......

Oh and all the cool maps, even though most servers rotated only Veil, Eclipse, Tanith, all day every day, bleh.......
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    we played a lot of hera/nothing/nancy, it just took awhile between versions for them to get fixed, i think 2.x broke them if memory serves.. Anyways..
    @male_fatalities you saying ns_bast had more confusing vents than ns_nancy? you're weird! :P
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Regs nights on NS1. Steve Irwin Tribute in a custom version of a map.

I'd completely forgotten about the Steve Irwin tribute!

Regs night on YO rocked! Playing British Bulldogs in refinery hive on bast, hide and seek, knife olympics....oh the good old days!

I miss laz0r mines!

laz00r.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2013
    Back when no one knew what to do, but fun was to be had anyways
    nanitesandbacterium3_20061205_-129042348.jpg
    http://www.readyroom.org/gallery/nanites-and-bacterium/
  • collercoller Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 35635Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dogbite wrote: »
    All the crazy relocates, the soundscape, the doors, elevators, welding vents, more extensive vent systems, Red Room last stands, Ninja phase gates, and stealth tactics, Ladders, Mine Ladders, Maps having a vertical feel, Siege maps, you know all the fun stuff that is missing from NS2 due to it ruining the game for comp.......

Oh and all the cool maps, even though most servers rotated only Veil, Eclipse, Tanith, all day every day, bleh.......

lol, the last stands in red room and the relocations. So much fun and many hilarious moments. Not much room for creativity left these days. Can't uwe make a version for the comp players and one for the pubs?