Build 260 Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

1235»

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Because they don't want to. Believe me, it's been brought up before. It would make things a hell of a lot easier, though I think we'd see less competitive teams as a fair few teams are just casual players who enjoy pub and decided to make a team. If it was a different game mode they wouldn't do this.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    The more you Open Source your stuff, the more fixes your receive. :)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also time factor playes a huge role in a smaller company like UWE.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    best_jeppe wrote: »
    After just skimming through the discussion, why doesnt UWE create 2 separate game balances. One for Public Play and one for competetive play like in L4D2 where you have CONFOGL that the competitive scene uses. Or the competitive scene could unite under one balance mod like CONFOGL and use that for the competitive scene. UWE can then focus on the Public scene of the game and balance for that.

Or is that something that has been discussed already at an earlier point?

It has been discussed and for the most part people are against it, because it's already difficult enough to retain new players. If you then tell them that they have to learn a new set of rules after they've played a certain number of hours and want to become involved in higher levels of play, it becomes even more likely they'll leave the game behind. It isn't such an issue with L4D2 because that game is made by Valve and everyone owns it.

Also UWE has repeatedly tried to use streams of competitive events to sell the game (see: their recent hyping of the NS2WC) and if competitive players played with a different ruleset than pubs it would be harder to explain/sell the game at such events
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Xenocide was nerfed and it is not mentioned in change log (spawn time doubled)

Edit: found proof in code
    XenocideLeap.lua
    was player.spawnReductionTime = 12
    now player.spawnReductionTime = 4

Another stealth balance change.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @xen32
    Very observant of you..

Actually, that was a bug that was fixed, not a feature that was added just this patch. :-P

Sunday 3rd November 2013, 8:40 pm Etc/GMT+8 Build 259
    "fixed xenocide causing the skulk to instantly respawn (it should have been only a spawn time reduction)"

edit: Now i'm unsure, conflicting info - brb when i have more
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    It was reduced the amount of time deduction you get when xenociding. It's only -4 seconds from the normal time now.
    Easy math. If normal time was say 10 seconds and it's a -12 deduction...10-12=.....-2 so therefor you would spawn instantly
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Are the higher winrates really a result of crags being too damn good? Or perhaps something else.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @xen32
    Very observant of you..

Actually, that was a bug that was fixed, not a feature that was added just this patch. :-P

"fixed xenocide causing the skulk to instantly respawn (it should have been only a spawn time reduction)"

Finally, I always wondered if this was an unreported buff but at some point I noticed that my skulk would always respawn really fast. So fast I could not even change my spawn point lol.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @xen32
    Very observant of you..

Strange indeed.
    I only felt that xeno time increased in new build, it surely was not in 259. I failed at picking right build to compare and "was" code is from build_258.zip, and spawntime=4 was in 259.zip as well, but xeno was still ~3 seconds in 259. Could it be possible that fix didn't work in 259 for some reason? Or I just might be looking at wrong place.