The "What I want to see" thread!

Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
We already have a "fact and speculation" thread... But what about all the things we don't know but would like to see? Call it suggestions if you will, but I feel there is a great void in the forums right now!

I want to see caves... Underwater caves... Dark, omnious places where you can lose yourself in if you are not careful, and if you get too far whatever contact you might have with the outside world will start to break, static and magnetical anomalities breaking compasses... And then you get to a huge bioluminary mushroom forest inside the cave... Stuff like that.

Would also like to see the submarines be highly customizable so you can fit them for different tasks. Arms for picking things, drones for getting into small places. Different size hulls for being able to push through smaller places (in caves) that bigger ones can't reach... Basically, a lot of freedom with how you can build your submarine and fit it for different tasks. There should be vastly different needs and specifications for a near-surface sub where there are still light from the sky, and there are day and night cycles, and a depth exploring craft with the permanent nights and high pressures.

Comments

• Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also realize that with posting this eight thread, we need three more to keep those forums at its prime... Sorry about that ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kerbal Space Program IN SPACE underwater.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

I like this idea.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Obraxis wrote: »

I like this idea.

You'd assemble submarines instead of rockets, would explore the ocean instead of the solar system, and during EVAs you wear a diving suit instead of a space suit. Your base would be either at the shore, or, even better (because you don't have land this way), some afloat station-thingy. You could set up bases on the ground of the ocean.

This is actually a pretty awesome idea. Especially if it's all first person.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I for one need a competitive and strategic (preferbly violent) gameplay element (i.e. killing something, that big whale-like thing seems good to kill, even more so if it is controlled by somebody else, all tuned to his or hers liking by hours of hard work).
    Or i wont be playing it.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    Zombiesharks
    Nazi-Zombiesharks
    Mechanazi-Zombiesharks
    Mechanazi-Zombiesharks with Superheropowers
    SuperPowerrangerMechanazi-Zombiesharks .... on RAILS
    Sharkskelletons (who would expect a underwatergame without sharks)

First i would prefer to see what kind of direction they want to head into, before i can clear up my mind of what i want to see :P
    Underwaterdungeonkeeeper ? Dive&Conquer Red Alert ? SubmarineCraft ? Su-Swim-doku ?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    cameo appearances from khaara structures

Damn, you beat me to it :D

(A patch of infestation, with a bunch of alien structures on the ocean floor (rare easter egg) something along those lines

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I kind of get the Anno2070 underwater rts vibe from this to be honest.
  • wolfsuitmischiefwolfsuitmischief New Jersey, USA Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188906Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First of all, a day and night cycle MUST be done! As a scuba diver I can say that there are few things more amazing than the ocean at night
    And of course easter eggs. Lots of easter eggs. Looking forward to the hidden achievement "find all 7 gorges".

You mean few things more terrifying than the ocean at night....
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    procedural plant life with l-systems
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    I want to have more information to have an idea wtf the game is going to be :(
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    This is a long shot, given the size of the studio and the resources available but if we're in the game of dreaming...

What really interests me is the chance discover unusual lifeforms and watch their behavior in a realistic habitat. Creatures need to interact with each other in more interesting ways than the typical predator vs prey/ fight or flight behaviors.

I'd also like to see more distinct behavior patterns for each type of creature. Are they territorial or free roaming? Social/pack animals? Are they Nocturnal? etc etc etc

With sandbox worlds the devil really is in the detail. If this is done right it would bring the world to life and create epic and surprising unscripted events that would spread the word of the game far and wide... or maybe I've just watched too many nature programs.

I hate to be pessimistic but I guess what we'll actually get is a bunch of pretty floating things and with all the character and intrigue of your average drifter....
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Since it's gonna feature procedural terrain, I imagine one of the main selling points would be exploration.

So something I'd definitely like to see is being able to cruise the seas and tracking down long lost shipwrecks, then searching them extensively for valuable artifacts (while dealing with certain threats?).
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    I want to see a dopefish.
  • Martin604Martin604 Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182910Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I would love to see some similar creatures from the movie "The Abyss". Its one of my favorites from childhood.
    Here are a few clips from it. The Last one has one badass ....submarine spaceship thingy.
  • OkxydOkxyd Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143981Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tacticool Harpoon to kill fish like a boss.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Captain Nemo and Nautilus.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Howser wrote: »
    This is a long shot, given the size of the studio and the resources available but if we're in the game of dreaming...

What really interests me is the chance discover unusual lifeforms and watch their behavior in a realistic habitat. Creatures need to interact with each other in more interesting ways than the typical predator vs prey/ fight or flight behaviors.

I'd also like to see more distinct behavior patterns for each type of creature. Are they territorial or free roaming? Social/pack animals? Are they Nocturnal? etc etc etc

With sandbox worlds the devil really is in the detail. If this is done right it would bring the world to life and create epic and surprising unscripted events that would spread the word of the game far and wide... or maybe I've just watched too many nature programs.

I hate to be pessimistic but I guess what we'll actually get is a bunch of pretty floating things and with all the character and intrigue of your average drifter....

I can promise you, we want to make all things matter and be interesting to interact with. How much we'll succeed in that, we'll see.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    Captain Nemo and Nautilus.

We obviously need a deadly Giant Squid (or two{hundred}) as well

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    awesome! Its the trying that counts!...
    I am sure most of us can recall the first time we played Half-life 1, sure the AI was very good on a functional level but it also had a sense of character and fun about some of the features (roaches been scared of light, hound eye idle interaction, NPC alliances etc) which I think was core to its success. I was reading a interview with far cry 3's lead AI programmer where he said people view half-life with rose colored glasses as far cry had 4 states of awareness, simulated senses, positional awareness bla bla bla... Shame it lacked any sense of being dynamic, random or having character. Watching a panther pounce on tapir is all well and good but that was literally the only interaction i saw (30 times) between none enemy NPC's.
    Here's to dreaming!
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been meaning to write this post for a few days now, so here goes.

Full use of the environment. Underwater is an amazing setting with many unique or special characteristics that can and should be used to their full potential. It can be compared to space, but in almost every way makes for a much more compelling gameplay.

The Surroundings
    Water is more or less murky. Even in clear water, you can not see things very far away, and as a result need to explore more then observe to find things. In space, there is no sound at all. Water, on the other hand, transmit sound better then air, and typically carry much more sounds then we are used to hear over the surface. You can fairly easily move up and down in water. As such, things are all around you. This is not something we are used to, the majority of our information come more or less from one plane rather then from every direction.

The Behaviour
    Commonly, under water is compared to zero-gravity. This is a good approximation, if you are a uniform body with the buoyancy of water. Heavier objects sink, and lighter float toward the surface. While this seem obvious, it extends beyond that simple fact, when you consider that even objects with the same buoyancy as water very seldom are uniform. Fish typically have one "up" side where their swimming bladder is, which causes them to move easier at a certain depth rather then up or down. The same would be very true for submarines, and it would be very interesting if it could be kept in mind when constructing your submarine. For example, if your submarine were cylindrical, it would be immersive if it were easier and quicker to surface if you not only increased your buoyancy, but also shifted it to make sure one of the ends rose first, to greatly reduce your drag. Space doesn't have drag, you can use any shape that you want. In water, that is another aspect you need to keep in mind.

The Playstyle
    This is where things start to get more subjective. Personally, I greatly enjoy to be able to customize things to great extents, to be able to support less common, or odd, playstyles. I hope that we are able to build our own submarines, and that there are pretty much no boundaries on what can make. Many designs would naturally be highly dysfunctional or even unusable, but that's where the fun come in, to designs something yourself, thinking about what properties you value the most and try to get those as good as possible, but balance to not lose too much of something else. There could easily be multiple ways to play the same game; explore to be able to build better submarines, or build submarines to be able to explore better. With enough options, parts and materials to play around with, I could easily spend much more time designing submarines then actually using them, and I would enjoy it.

I probably forgot a bunch of things I had thought of... But then, there is room for more posts :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ejaculating sea cucumbers