Hosting on MAC

BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
edited November 2013 in Server Discussion
So, I recently won a MAC Xserv, early 2009 model. I had to call Apple for the specs of the machine. What they were able to tell me is pasted down below.

I know, I know, the OS on the thing ain't the best, but I don't have a Windows license to throw on there, nor the patience or knowledge of a good Linux build. (Dear god I'm behind the times. In hindsight, would Apple even allow a copy of Linux on this thing?)

Is there a build of the Spark Server that can run on OSX? With the Specs listed, do you think this puppy can run a 16 or 20 player server assuming that it has unlimited bandwidth to work with? I'm largely unfamiliar with OSX, will WINE provide the libraries I need to work with windows applications, including a dedicated NS2 server?

Thanks for the help. I'm not really sure what to do with this thing in all honesty, so I'll just play and see what it's capable of.

Apple says it's capable of running maverick. Currently has 10.6.
2x 2.26Ghz Dual Core Xeon's.
6GB RAM
Nvidia G-force videocard.

Edit: looking around, I found the server wiki. Probably shoulda looked before I asked. Oops!
So, I'll likely get a "highly unlikely" that this thing will host anything for NS2, what do you think it's capable of?

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Since server performance is highly related to the clock speed of the CPU in the server box, I'd say a big no. The Aussie Monash servers are run on a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge chip, and they sometimes even dip in performance on 24p.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Install linux use server guide done ;) But i think that cpu is too slow to host even a 6 vs 6 server :(
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Since server performance is highly related to the clock speed of the CPU in the server box, I'd say a big no. The Aussie Monash servers are run on a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge chip, and they sometimes even dip in performance on 24p.

It's 4.9ghz and hasn't dipped in a long time, not since combat stopped lagging the whole tower.