Welcome!

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to welcome you to this private Subnautica forum.

It's strange (and exciting) to start talking to you guys about the game. It harkens back to the time we announced NS2, and even back to when I started working on NS1, back in 2001. This is another one of those times that I hope we look back upon fondly, and remember "the good old days".

I'm looking forward to sharing what we've been working on with all of you, our most diehard supporters. Looking through the list of folks in this group, I am amazed at how many names I recognize, and how long many of you have been in the community. I'm hopeful many of you will be excited about the new direction we're taking Unknown Worlds.

We're hoping that if WE'RE excited about the game, YOU will be too. Fingers crossed...

Comments

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey Charlie! I think were quite taken back by the concept at the moment! The sooner you shed some light on the rough format the better.
    Lets hope you dont have a pile of dog shit for an engine like ns2.

NS supporter since 2003 - Skyice
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks very promising, can't wait.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Hey Charlie! I think were quite taken back by the concept at the moment! The sooner you shed some light on the rough format the better.

You do know that they made the engine themselves right? Way to go making friends there!

Look, I don't think UWE are going to deny that Spark has obviously been a big struggle for them, but they have done some amazing things with such limited resources. Go easy.

If anything, I think I'd like to see them clearly identify the box they are going to be working within, but I am pretty sure they have learnt some big lessons.

The game sounds great though, nice and disruptive in the current market.

• KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Very excited about this project, sir! I sense HUGE potential in it. :D
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    yes i do know that @runteh, and i think we can all agree that it is NS2's biggest downfall. Im pretty sure people donated £150,000+ for the continued development of ns2, not scuba diving simulator 2016
  • ProtonProton Calgary, AB Join Date: 2004-09-08 Member: 31534Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you guys need an Oculus Rift tester, I've got a dev kit & am extremely susceptible to simulator sickness (can tell if things are done right or wrong).

Looking forward to seeing where your imaginations take us!
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Will this game be completed in c++ or will you split it in two parts like NS2? (c++ and lua).

Or maybe you guys will keep lua but much less so you utilize the best parts and make the game run faster then ever? :)

Either way, I'm very cerious.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice secret forum better than twitter :)

Best luck with the new project. Cant wait to know more of this game, it looks interesting
  • GeekGeek Colorado Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10346Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys at UWE have produced some great games so far and this should be no different. People don't seem to understand that the development of any software can be difficult and when you guys do things that are great for the fans like let them play beta builds of a game that's exciting. Keep up the great work on this new game, its not always easy being independent, but what has come out are games that are new and exciting. I'll be all down for playing this as soon as I can!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    -Question Answered-
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2013
    From the tip bits you've released this sounds really interesting and unique and I for one am please at the games contrast with NS2. Creative exploration games are a sadly neglected genre. I'm super excited!

I do have a few requests and I'm pretty sure the $60 donation for the shadow badge will cover their implementation:
    *At all costs (under $60) make sure its coop! Too many games neglect the positive impact sharing has on an experience. Even crap games are fun(ny) in coop. Not that this will be.
    *Even if its a none-violent exploration game please allow us to kill the harmless creatures; Ramming them with subs, blocking their blow holes with depth charges or just a good old-fashioned harpoon to the flotation-bag; Years of ns2 have left us unable to function in none violent game societies.
    *Aqua gorges. nuff said
  • Luxon5Luxon5 Join Date: 2008-08-18 Member: 64842Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exploration game? awesome

Underwater... its like space craft but not as overplayed... also awesome.

I'm interested so far. I haven't played too many unity games I thought were very good, but I'm sure it's capable in the right hands.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Let me in please! I've been waiting for days to be accepted into the twitter handle. :(
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Subnautica would make an interesting candidate or perhaps flagship-tier type of game for Occulus Rift.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you guys pull off something just as immersive. I look forward to this, but the Occulus Rift would definitely seal the deal for me.

Maybe even 3D Vision.

Think of what made Avatar so special if that helps.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Forgive my laziness but I am adverse to using twitter. Besides the name I have little to no clue what the game is even going to be about lol. Mind enlightening a clueless fellow. I get that it is likely a underwater type of game but besides that.......anyone?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nailo wrote: »
    Forgive my laziness but I am adverse to using twitter. Besides the name I have little to no clue what the game is even going to be about lol. Mind enlightening a clueless fellow. I get that it is likely a underwater type of game but besides that.......anyone?

Someone copied all the twitter stuff into this post. That's all that has been released so far.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, please leave the NS2 bitterness at the door (or back at the NS2 forums). Seriously, we should be excited that UWE has moved their resources away from NS2 and on something new. This is a bit to OT rant, and probably preaching to the converted, but to ensure the future of NS2, we really need UWE to make other stuff. I would really really hate to see this talented, passionate group of ppl break up because the company was just focused on perfecting one game. /OT.

Looking forward to seeing how the game works, and especially the art!! Love the art!!
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm very happy about the direction of the new project. Ever since I started playing NS2 I wanted to know what these guys would come up with would they craft a SP experience. This game's setting is so fresh and unique, while at the same time offering so many gameplay possibilities! It amazes me that UWE are the first to think of this setting. The one big question I have is: is there going to be a night-day cylcle? It would be awesome if we could dive at night time with some UV-lights and enjoy the totally different fauna that creeps out during the dark hours.

@UWE
    In case you have some questions on some of the submarine environments like black smokers, mid-ocean ridges or how reefs can be structured, feel free to ask as I am a diver and geologist myself.

Btw, did you choose the name especially so the abreviation is SN as opposed to NS? To show everyone your doing something as different from your earlier project as could be?
    :D

Nailo wrote: »

It is going to be an underwater open world exploration game with procedurally generated environments build on the Unity3D engine. I think that is abot all the info we've got atm.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    -Question Answered-

Subnautica is running on Unity, as per public Dev Tweets.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    My guilty pleasure has always been underwater settings. Largely unexplored concept in games to date afaik.

Goodluck and all
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Best part is the randomly generated terrain.

So when can we buy into the alpha?
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been thinking... who's the one in UWE with the obsession for seas?
    I mean, the Kharaa were taken from sea stuff, and now this :D
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congrats on starting a new and different game in development. Not sure what awaits us, but I know the the dev's team passion will make it fantastic.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Benson wrote: »
    -Question Answered-

Subnautica is running on Unity, as per public Dev Tweets.

What does this mean for the future of spark? Anyone? :D

I love spark man. Super awesome engine.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    Excitet too.

In high antiception for a little "slower" gameplay which could be in stark contrast to the modern overspeeded things like PoE or RiskofRain,
    a underwatergame "could" provide the necessary athmosphere for that.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We're both your biggest supporters and your biggest critics at times, but we love you guys!

I have every confidence that you'll create something as spectacular as NS1 was and as NS2 is, albeit completely different in style and game type.

And this time round I promise to support from the earliest opportunity :)
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This just seems like another game that i shall spend (i hope) 10+ years enjoying :D

Let the good times roll again! (not that they have ever stoped)
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm quite exited for this I wonder how the gameplay will be just exploring or other things :o
This discussion has been closed.