Helping more players join and enjoy playing as aliens

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
edited November 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
When you start playing aliens most people are forced to play as 2 out of 5 classes because of balance reasons. It's almost like playing a fps with only 2 out of 4 classes unlocked - sniper, medic, etc.
Higher life forms are balanced by res cost which is bad, but doable.
An improvement in this system would be to lower the res cost of lifeforms by 50%, but also balancing them by reducing their stats or abilities by half.
For full power lifeform the player can spend the extra res to upgrade from basic soldier class to advanced elite class in the evolution menu.
Example - a basic 20 res fade has half blink range and 250 health and no armor. He can upgrade to full power for 20 more res.

Another benefit of this is that bad players are not as punished in res as much if they die as a higher life.

Fade or onos domination mid game will be lessened.

The whole point of this is to allow more choices for players even at the start of the game, thus making more players want to join as aliens without unbalancing the game.

Comments

• reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    I like idea of upgrading your lifeform to higher tiers for res. I would like to see that for skulks. Tier 2 skulk - faster, stronger, maybe some new ability?
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    So yeah, why would anyone evolve to a ( not as powerful) lifeform that still cost a good bit of Res AND risk a higher chance of Dieing when they can wait, live longer, and be more effective

This idea is silly
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    alien vs marine aerly game is the best part of the game. skulk ambush and the hurry with the timings. Why would you want to change that :(/)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I disagree with this.

Upgrading lifeforms is more appropriately done by the khammander and it is already implemented.
    Lifeforms used to be better but also used to cost more before 250 so different life forms actually had importance in staying alive and Onos only came late game. After 250, there is no longer such thing as early or mid game as they only last 3 minutes each.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Like any good game it's about giving more choices. Some are good and some not so good. It always means getting more players to pick aliens. Why be scared of an early fade or onos rush when you can almost kill them as easily as skulks.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    alster wrote: »
    Why be scared of an early fade or onos rush when you can almost kill them as easily as skulks.

Thanks for agreeing with my post
    Nazo wrote: »
    So yeah, why would anyone evolve to a ( not as powerful) lifeform that still cost a good bit of Res AND risk a higher chance of Dieing when they can wait, live longer, and be more effective

This idea is silly

Done replying to your post, I dont think you know what you are posting ither
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's this concept known as false choices. Giving people the choice of evolving to these 'early' lifeforms but so neutered that you might as well keep playing skulk is a trap. More choices =/= better design. They have to be choices that are meaningful instead of there being choices for the sake of it.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    1. Balancing this would be exponentially more hell than the existing game - for LF cost, timing, and "power."
    2. I agree with someone above that early game is actually quite decent at the moment and messing with that (too much) is something I wouldn't like.
    3. Nerf or delay lerks.
    4. ???
    5. Profit.