More options for marines

alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
edited November 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Who doesn't want more choices without unbalancing the game?
The armory by default should have welders, mines, and grenades always available. None of that tech unbalances the game. Even a skulk can safely blow up a mine at distance. Most newer players usually die before they can throw a grenade.
More choices makes the game less boring and more enjoyable.

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    alster wrote: »
    Who doesn't want more choices without unbalancing the game?
    The armory by default should have welders, mines, and grenades always available. None of that tech unbalances the game. Even a skulk can safely blow up a mine at distance. Most newer players usually die before they can throw a grenade.
    More choices makes the game less boring and more enjoyable.

Aren't welders already available from the beginning of the game, or has that been changed already. Been a while since I played.

To the point though, it would unbalance the game more than you think. Instant mines and grenades could be devastating in the right hands, it would also free up some of that early game res for other upgrades since the comm no longer has to decide weather to get eg. get mines to cover PGs or run an upgrade (numbers would have to be tweaked to compensate which would mess more stuff up). Early game choices are key for a commander. On the flip side it also slightly limits the commanders influence on his players as the comm decides how the tech-tree unlocks in tandem with his/or her strategy. This forces the players to spend their p-res in line with the commanders plan (this mostly applies to public games though).
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    Welders are already available-

Mines can be devastating especially if you are in round 4 on a server and it is the first time marines use mines. Newer skulks just run around and blow themselves up.

This is a bad idea. Besides 10-15 to research is not that much, and new players will blow all their pres early.

I hold off on new weapon research until A1/W1. I might get early mines to screw with skulks... or turrets :)
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    I would like to see proof that mines or grenades win a game. People who play enough can easily take care of mines as a skulk.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Mines dont win games, they keep you from losing
    Nazo wrote: »
    Done replying to your post, I dont think you know what you are posting ither
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mines are literally the single best researchable item for early game marines. They allow you to:
    a.) guard res easier
    b.) leave your base exposed
    c.) block vents
    d.) win engagements
    and the list goes on. The most important thing mines do is help defend bases and/or gates. They allow the marines to pressure alien res without worrying about extreme lane blocking.

You obviously don't understand how little things can affect game balance.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish I could remember what match or even the teams playing it was.... Maybe someone can help.

In this match the commander researched mines first thing. 2-3 marines put mines all over base. About one minute later while all marines were out of base, and before an obs was placed, a base rush happens. The base rush was stopped when the skulks died to the mines.

I remember another one, where I think titus got two lerk kills with mines mid game.
    alster wrote: »
    I would like to see proof that mines or grenades win a game. People who play enough can easily take care of mines as a skulk.
    Point is, at the highest level of play mines are strong.

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Mines are one of the most terror things early game. The opportunity cost of tres/research time is a huge balancing point, because mines allow marines to press forward aggressively while having the safety net of a minefield back home stopping/slowing down base rushes, and makes defending bases incredibly easy since it keeps skulks from using structures as cover.

Even if you just step around mines as a skulk, that doesn't change the fact that the mine is still there denying you crucial maneuvering room that you need to win fights. You can also feel free to waste valuable time clearing mines with parasite while marines have the run of the rest of the map and take all your harvesters. See where that gets you.