PETITION FOR NS2 OSX PORT

drumstixdrumstix Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75359Members
Alright Mac gamers, it's taken long enough! post 'AYE' on this thread if you wish NS2 to be ported for your MAC!!!
AYE!!

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Overall this would be a waste of development time and even more stress with bugs that is entirely unnecessary.
    Strongly discourage OSX development, especially considering the small userbase that would run the game on a mac, even less, the ones that have macs capable of running the game at decent performance.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    NS2 will get OSX support if the Reinforcement Program reaches $550,000

huehue

Edit: Inb4 Apple invest like $80000 to reinforced
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nazo wrote: »
    OSX support if the Reinforcement Program reaches $550,000

huehue

So the way apple users throw money at their screen, that's within 24h?
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Too bad it's already in the making, eh?
    While you shouldn’t expect to be able to fire up NS2 on a Mac next week, the number of hurdles left to clear before such an achievement is dropping. We will continue to carefully consider the business case for porting NS2. We need to keep the lights on in the UWE office, so ports are not a certainty!
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/state-of-development-may-2013/
    This does not mean we are about to release NS2 on Linux. But we are getting damn close. This is real, we are aiming for true SteamPlay Windows / Linux / Mac support. Max and Dushan are working full time on bringing this dream to fruition, and we can’t wait to share more progress with you over the coming weeks.
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/state-of-development-june-2013/

When was the Linux version released? Together with Reinforced in September.
    If UWE achieves Mac support till December they can turn it into a proper selling point for the big Christmas Sales.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS is one of the very few reasons I still have dual boot my mac to windows. Make my life simpler plz.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited November 2013
    So, they're going to spend time and resources porting NS2 over to a platform that it wasn't designed for that wasn't designed for gaming. Yep, sounds perfectly reasonable.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    So much mac hate lol.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    If you can't get the hang of windows you sure as hell are going to have problems with NS2
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    So, they're going to spend time and resources porting NS2 over to a platform that it wasn't designed for that wasn't designed for gaming. Yep, sounds perfectly reasonable.

I guess they're goal isn't to port NS2 in particular, but the spark engine.

They could release their next game(s) on multiple platforms right from the start. And since it's Lua, the actual game code development would only have to be done once for all platforms.

I really hate apple, but if it helps UWE as a company, they should definitely do it.

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Seeing how lackluster the linux server support has been, it's better to just imagine OSX doesn't exist. :)

I'll just refer my macbook for the uses of stream viewing, even if i can run games on it, my PC just runs them so much better..
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I run on a bootcamp Win7 just fine with my MBP and I don't care if it gets OSX support or not. I have less problems than most people from what i've read (like 32bit users).
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ots wrote: »
    Seeing how lackluster the linux server support has been, it's better to just imagine OSX doesn't exist. :)

They fixed the major issues like crashes and path issues.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    If you can't get the hang of windows you sure as hell are going to have problems with NS2

Yea, unless you like to get killed a lot. But then again that would remove the problem of the system barely being able to run the game.

But we might need to wait for apple to build real computers before this game could actually be ported to run on them.
    Popture wrote: »
    NS is one of the very few reasons I still have dual boot my mac to windows. Make my life simpler plz.

The solution would be to just uninstall osx then it only boots to windows or replace it with linux and then no matter what it boots you can run the game and everything else in existence.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    So much prejudice and hate towards OS X here... Yes, I don't like it either, but seriously... don't be offensive. There is no need to. Everyone who wants to play NS2 is welcome.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Pretty sure I mentioned it before but you can command on newish (2011-present) macbook pros on low settings.
  • drumstixdrumstix Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75359Members
    I didn't ask for your opinions of a Mac, because quite frankly, I don't care. All I'm saying, is that some of us have chosen to run OSX, because we have that freedom, and preference. This isn't a very welcoming community. You bunch of jerks.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Well choose all you want, if the hardware/OpenGL implementation/drivers are not up for it you probably won't be able to play it with usable FPS.

Performance of ns2 is pretty so-so, as you probably know..
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

This is a 27 inch iMac that is built to order. It only differentiates from the standard 'non BtO' in CPU and GPU. Just like all computers, some Macs can play games, some can't. The 780M is a good card even if its a laptop GPU and a 3.5ghz i7 ain't too shabby either. So, what was that about how all macs can't play games?
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    drumstix wrote: »
    I didn't ask for your opinions of a Mac, because quite frankly, I don't care. All I'm saying, is that some of us have chosen to run OSX, because we have that freedom, and preference. This isn't a very welcoming community. You bunch of jerks.

It's perfectly fine that you prefer OSX but there's a reason we use windows and that's not cause we love it that much, but simply because it holds all the games.
    Now with steamos you might see a shift into linux over the coming years but its going to be a slow crawl.

If you're really sincere about playing NS2. I'd recommend a dual boot solution. Not just for NS2, but for gaming in general.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

This is a 27 inch iMac that is built to order. It only differentiates from the standard 'non BtO' in CPU and GPU. Just like all computers, some Macs can play games, some can't. The 780M is a good card even if its a laptop GPU and a 3.5ghz i7 ain't too shabby either. So, what was that about how all macs can't play games?

I'm astonished that a desktop of that size has a laptops GPU, avoiding getting on some tangent about mac hate however- I personally have tried to run ns2 with a 780M about a month ago, was only able to achieve a consistant 60 FPS on minimal settings, on a 15 inch 1080p screen. I can only assume that an iMac built to order would be running the "lightningbolt" or whatever display that has a higher resolution than 1080p, decreasing performance moreso should you run at that resolution, and being disappointing otherwise.

TLDR: I do not believe laptop cards are even moderately capable of handling this game well.
    Also, the average hardware in macs seems to not be sufficient for ns2.

PS: It is possible that I simply had a bad experience with the 780M that does not reflect the performance someone else may achieve in NS2 with the same card model.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    drumstix wrote: »

That's like saying I have a choice to ride a bike to work but I also want to use the interstate/freeway...

Its been stated many times that on ALL of Steam there is a very small percentage of iOS users... which means the number capable of running NS2 is even smaller... then the number of people that actually want to play NS2 is down to a handful.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited November 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Pretty sure I mentioned it before but you can command on newish (2011-present) macbook pros on low settings.
    Apple fans cannot command, they follow, like a bunch of sheep
    flock-sheep-apple-store-iphone5-1348365984l.gif
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or you can play at 60fps on medium settings on a new Macbook retina... People aren't asking hypothetically...
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited November 2013
    Another great waste of resources. Why the hell would a high and game support Mac. They're pieces of trash.

Quite literally:
    2013_mac_pro.jpg

Heck, I wouldn't trust it with my rubbish. It'll sue me for throwing away rubbish.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I don't know the current status but OSX was originally planned for Reinforced alongside Linux. I'm not sure if Max is still actively working on it as we never had a test build.
This discussion has been closed.