The NS2WC is go! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageThe NS2WC is go! - Natural Selection 2

With several hours to spare, the astonishing has been achieved: The Natural Selection 2 World Championship is funded, and will go ahead. Astonishing because $31,090 is a significant sum of money – And it has been raised to fund a gaming competition. A contest that will see players from all over the world engage in a battle of reflexes, strategic thinking, teamwork and tactics through the tunnels of Tram, the halls of Summit, the corridors of Biodome – Broadcast for all to see. Twenty four players will fly across the world to play in person. ‘eSports’ is a loaded word. It is often used as a mechanism for developers, publishers and media to use gameplay to achieve one goal or …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Someone give me a synonym for 'bump' - I need a new word for opening comment threads!

Oh also - This whole NS2WC thing looks like a bit of alright.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here is a list you can choose from: http://thesaurus.com/browse/bump I don't see anything good in there.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Reunited and it feels so good
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2013
    *poke*, fanfares, red carpet, beaming it down... be creative! ;)

edit: When do we get information about the event itself (location, date, etc.), approximately? I plan to be there :)
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Great to see this is going to happen.
    Hope they buff what needs to be buffed for this new venture!
    Have a great time .
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    When do we get information about the event itself (location, date, etc.), approximately? I plan to be there :)

As soon as the date and location are determined, the information will be made public so that community members can make travel arrangements.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Haha I see what you did with the whole 'esports' thing there, @Hugh ;)

It's great news, congrats to all who made it happen. I can't believe only 306 of us NS2 players donated, though, is that right?

Either way, great job, it's great news for the game.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    Someone give me a synonym for 'bump' - I need a new word for opening comment threads!

Initiate/Engage thread
    Hit the lights/ Hit it
    Draw the blinds/curtains
    Actualize discussion
    HUGH IMPELS YOU
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2013
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Initiate/Engage thread
    Hit the lights/ Hit it
    Draw the blinds/curtains
    Actualize discussion
    HUGH IMPELS YOU

Request/Summon the comments. Assemble/gather/call in for/Arouse/Invoke the thread. Call the comment thread into action. Seek/demand/pray for enlightment through the comments.

edit: call the thread squad

edit2: Something with "May... " may be good, too (E.g. May the comments arise!).
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2013
    RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
    PFJqA.gif
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Drop, as in Drop an armory in x location. Then we are all building the thread!! (side note: I don't know if there is a more official/common term for placing Blueprints as the comm, Drop is just what I ask the Comm to do typically)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    just post random ns, ns2 and uwe facts every bump. @Hugh
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Drop, as in Drop an armory in x location. Then we are all building the thread!! (side note: I don't know if there is a more official/common term for placing Blueprints as the comm, Drop is just what I ask the Comm to do typically)

Drop it, bop it, twist it, pull it
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

worst game ever
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    ezekel wrote: »

best game ever
    Fixed that for you.

so... who's going?
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013

Words are over rated, pictures say so much more.
    b10557a1b208c788f147a1cbf8ff5ccd6bb093c6.jpg
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes!!! I really hope ns2 will be attracted by many other competitive players which eventually be part of esports! :DDD

xxx
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MewSkitty wrote: »
    Yes!!! I really hope ns2 will be attracted by many other competitive players which eventually be part of esports! :DDD

xxx

We all definitely REALLY want this! See my thread over in the vet forums for a discussion of what comp players think is necessary to make this viable in the long term. The game is amazing, but we're not there yet. Hugh was very cunning to set NS2 out as 'other than an esport' which it currently is, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with the aspiration of becoming a bona fide e-sport. Go over here to continue that particular discussion though! This thread should be for congratulating Wasabi and co on their wonderful achievements getting NS2WC funded!
  • Sinistral_on_SteamSinistral_on_Steam MA, USA Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Is there still any way to donate to the WC?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wonder,
    will there be Anti-badges for community members being total bitches about the WC for prolonged periods?
    :p
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Cu@Cologne (again!) :D
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Congratulations on making the event possible. I really didn't think it would happen. As long as it's nothing like i49 or the Arc vs Nxzl final. Really make this an event for the spectators as well as the players that make it there.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    AWESOME! Where's my ticket, Flayra? lol
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Congratulations to getting this thing funded. It's amazing to see such big money prizes in Natural Selection.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    it's definitely amazing that 4 teams will be able to attend this event. Here's to hoping an american team can make it ;)