Don't bother buying this game

eyeriseyeris Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188088Members
edited November 2013 in New Player Forum
You will spend most of your time in the server browser or being slaughtered in games that have no balance. For example, I just sat down with 40 minutes to play a match. 30 minutes later I got 14 "server mod out of date" messages. The two servers I was able to join were both just slaughterfests. One team with 60 totals kills for 8 total kills for the other team and the winning team was whining about how the losing team left early. This game isn't done. You should take your money elsewhere.

If you're on linux, especially don't buy this game. One the occasions where I can find a fun server, the game crashes after a few matches. I've posted backtraces for the developers -- essentially serving as free QA labor -- but they are just ignored.

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you played 40min total?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    It's sad you had such a expirement with this game, but what should we say? They are still working on optimizing the linux version, yet i don't expect that it will ever run without any problems due to the nature of linux and that uwe is limited on ppl who are working on this.
  • eyeriseyeris Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188088Members
    edited November 2013
    Hamlet wrote: »
    So you played 40min total?

This morning, 30 minutes. Since purchasing it, 162 hours.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spend most of your time in the server browser, "server mod out of date" messages. Slaughterfests. Linux
    You must have been playing at a bad time. Or you're choseing only bad servers. Your timezone. Your OS not meant for playing (yet). Your computers specs are bad. Summarizing: Sux to be you. Don't spoil the fun for those that actually manage to join decent servers and have fun playing + have more than 40min playtime. This coming from a complete noob that can't slaughter anything even if trying hard.
    I've posted backtraces for the developers -- essentially serving as free QA labor -- but they are just ignored
    I've not seen a company that a) does it this way and b) gives answers faster than UWE. Aswell I have not seen any other game developer company talking with its community like UWE does.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Spend most of your time in the server browser, "server mod out of date" messages. Slaughterfests. Linux
    You must have been playing at a bad time. Or you're choseing only bad servers. Your timezone. Your OS not meant for playing (yet). Your computers specs are bad. Summarizing: Sux to be you. Don't spoil the fun for those that actually manage to join decent servers and have fun playing + have more than 40min playtime. This coming from a complete noob that can't slaughter anything even if trying hard.

I have 162 hours playing time at all different times of day. I get 100 FPS. I'm usually in the top 3 players on my team. There were 22 servers with more than 6 players on. I tried to join each of the 14 that had a player slot open.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    @eyeris Try join a 'combat' game .. (in server list, sort by game .. pick a combat server)

It might suit a bit better starting off.. its like deathmatch ;) .. its a bit of fun and there's no real issue about getting stomped as you don't really lose anything when you die ;)

When you kill someone or are near someone who does, you get experience .. once you get a new level, you can buy upgrades (or save points to get a new lifeform) using the 'B' key .. you keep your upgrades and can re-evolve to lifeforms after you die ;) so its good to learn the combat mechanics

Anyhow .. don't write it off .. its worth putting the time in believe me .. if you don't want to stick it out, that's fair enough, alot of ppl don't .. but it really is your loss ...

re-read thread heh ..
    162 hours .. ok .. hmm never mind my comments .. you probably know all that .. I thought you were a rookie heh .. if the server werent 'rookie only' server .. well .. what can you do (note .. rookie only != rookie friendly .. as far as I know there are only a couple of servers saying rookie only in their title)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    hmmm...

I'm playing on linux, and have never crashed (had a server mod out of date issue, but thats been resovled)

Also been playing for ~450 hrs and have managed to find good games for most of that, true a lot are unbalanced, but almost never to the tune 60-8 team kills.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2013
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Also i consider this a pointless rant.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yup @ 3-4 post above, try combat maybe.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Oh you mean the backtraces you provided that have been used to fix that bug 3 days ago internally and is now primed to ship out with the very next patch?
    Or did you mean your need to update the steam client?
    OR did did you mean the linux server mods being out of date error which was fixed internally 10 days ago and is also scheduled to go out with the next patch?

Yeah.. idk where you got this "ignored" thing from... but i guess i cant argue with the game having a high skill ceiling.. its not for everyone.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @eyeris, looks like they're workin on it for ya... Stick around, we wanna frag ya.

Also, I'm guessing like 90% of anybody who checks this forum already owns the game...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • FluttershyFluttershy Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176015Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh I remember this idiot eyeris. I was commanding the marines side and this noob who still had his name green said to me as the commander " don't tell me what to do and criticized my commanding and tried to argue me at which point i just told the idiot "shut the f**k up you stupid green" and everyone on the marines started to laugh at this joker.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Oh you mean the backtraces you provided that have been used to fix that bug 3 days ago internally and is now primed to ship out with the very next patch?
    Or did you mean your need to update the steam client?
    OR did did you mean the linux server mods being out of date error which was fixed internally 10 days ago and is also scheduled to go out with the next patch?

Yeah.. idk where you got this "ignored" thing from... but i guess i cant argue with the game having a high skill ceiling.. its not for everyone.

If those bugs are fixed internally, great. No one replied to those threads. I had no idea if they were helpful, being used, or even being seen. I still have yet to see them be fixed. Without any evidence, I'm left to assume they've been ignored.

To be clear, I don't care if I lose 100% of the time if the game doesn't crash and matches are competitive. I'm sick of spending too long hitting "server mod out of date" messages only to find games that aren't even worth playing once I'm finally able to join.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Have some patience :)

In retrospect, UWE could have had a "silent" linux release until the worst gamestoppers where squashed. By silent, i mean leaving out the linux icon in steam, but have a beta client available.

Anyways: I'm thankfull for the linuxclient, and i bought the game again by buying the shadow thingy. Sure, it could always be better, but they are still working on removing the last kinks from the game.

Also: There is nothing more frustrating for a commander than having most of the players on the team not doing what he/she wants them to do. I suck as com, but from time to time i jump in if absolutely no one else wants. I know the basics, but if the team fails to defend rt's, and don't go to designated threat signs/expanding here sign/map ping, i get really pissed...

Its really a teamgame, and you are a pawn for the commander, especially the marine commander.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @eyeris. Sorry to hear you have had a harsh experience. But we all get these. I am a pub player (only) and have no intention of going comp (ever). I just don't have the time. I have been pub stomped (plenty of times), by clanners that go 20/2. But I persist on because this game is so unique and also the fun matches (good ones) that pop up now and then make it well worthwhile. I guess my comparison would be say another mp game like BF/CoD, where it is a grind fest of ppl not giving a crap about anyone else. At least in this game, people are more social and do try to work together (and that is why I play).
  • EvolutionaryMiracleEvolutionaryMiracle Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185503Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    eyeris wrote: »
    You will spend most of your time in the server browser or being slaughtered in games that have no balance. For example, I just sat down with 40 minutes to play a match. 30 minutes later I got 14 "server mod out of date" messages. The two servers I was able to join were both just slaughterfests. One team with 60 totals kills for 8 total kills for the other team and the winning team was whining about how the losing team left early. This game isn't done. You should take your money elsewhere.

If you're on linux, especially don't buy this game. One the occasions where I can find a fun server, the game crashes after a few matches. I've posted backtraces for the developers -- essentially serving as free QA labor -- but they are just ignored.

While I do agree that pub stomps are no fun, there's no reason to blame the game for it. It's a bit like griefing in minecraft - other, more experienced players decide to ruin your fun with their godly skills.

NS2 is a game determined by the server - servers with active communication and roughly equal players are incredibly fun, while servers with no voice communication and stacked teams are often rage-inducing.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    What I really don't like is the "piranha mentality" of the people who tagged the OP with "disagree" and "spam" tags, though his point are to larger extent valid. When you log to a public game, you will be most of the time presented with an unsatisfactory experience - disorganized, unbalanced mess, where most people don't know what they are doing. That's a fact no amount of wishful thinking or fanboi mentality can make go away.

Can the game or the devs be blamed for it? To a certain extent, yes. They created a game that is ONLY enjoyable when played by teams of informed, motivated and cooperative players, but they failed to 1) properly inform the players of the high requirements (you MUST have and use voice, you MUST know the basics, you MUST coordinate with your team), and 2) they failed to provide out-of-the-game tools that would motivate people to care about the outcome of the game and to behave in constructive way. Is this even possible, could such tools be built? Yes, they could, look on other successful multiplayer games.

A system where you pop in and out with random people is just not good enough for this game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    Whatever happened to the gamer generation who were willing to learn from mistakes instead of raging, try and get better instead of getting mad at better players, commit at least some time to learn about the game's mechanics and gameplay instead of just jumping in expecting to get everything right on the first go and then leave cause it's "too much..."

Let's not kid ourselves, NS2 really isn't that hard to understand. Sure it has a learning curve, it just requires a bit of effort...
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    ... The two servers I was able to join were both just slaughterfests. One team with 60 totals kills for 8 total kills for the other team and the winning team was whining about how the losing team left early. ...

The current outbreak of horribly unbalanced games in part, comes from the massive amount of new players that recently popped up due to the humble sale and the apparent magnetic nature of the "join marines" door. A few days ago there was a massive amount of greens on the server I usually play on. They "stacked" marines despite attempts to randomize the teams (f4ing and attempting to join marines again) so the other more experienced players ended up going aliens. The game was over in about two minutes with a quick rush and a bunch of parasite kills. Next game, same story. Next game, same again. I kept trying to explain that if they keep crowding the marines, then this will just keep happening. One guy got the message, the rest did not...
    ... I've posted backtraces for the developers -- essentially serving as free QA labor -- . ...

Oh right, you're new here.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "This morning, 30 minutes. Since purchasing it, 162 hours"

I would appreciate an honest answer ... has it been this bad for all 162 hours? Honestly, that is a lot of time to put into a game and be terminally unhappy with it.

You got, as Utility: 162 hours x leisure value (as a rate) +/- (the value of: (NS2's leisure value as a rate x 162 hours)) - (162 hours x income rate + cost of purchase)

For 162 hours, I am interested in how it all went? e.g.: How many patches did you go through ?

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the gamer generation who were willing to learn from mistakes instead of raging

We grew up and got jobs :((