Upgrade Path to Shadow Tier - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpgrade Path to Shadow Tier - Natural Selection 2

When the Reinforcement Program launched, it was impossible to upgrade from one tier to another. The reasons for this restriction are various and mostly technical: In an ideal world, we would allow anyone to upgrade any tier at any time. The funds raised by the Reinforcement Program have directly supported Natural Selection 2 development: They helped pay for the two most recent updates, Build 258 and 259, and have covered a small portion of the cost of the Eclipse remake. This is very cool, because it means that committed NS2 players are making this game better in a very real way. Of all the Reinforcement Program tiers, Shadow Tier is the most popular. However, a great many of …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    By my bumping I command this comment thread to open!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well done, considering you stated that an upgrade in the future would be unlikely.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Nice!
    Don't you think it's time to update the Reinforced page for this occasion? It still only says Shadow Skulk skin and Female Marine skin included - coming soon!

Also: I'm looking forward to the 15th! Super secret twitter handle I'm coming!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    if you play for cuple of days thats easily 10 hours per map! finnally they invest in 1 new map.
    This should be done 1 year ago times ten so we had more variety. Eclipse looks fricking epic and its a win-win to get fresh maps along with fresh mappers to the team.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Flow chart unclear, dick stuck in ceiling fan.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nice!
    Don't you think it's time to update the Reinforced page for this occasion? It still only says Shadow Skulk skin and Female Marine skin included - coming soon!

Also: I'm looking forward to the 15th! Super secret twitter handle I'm coming!

Yep, Lukas and Rantology are working on that this week.

The Twitter handle is in the oven and looking forward to your arrival!
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited November 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Upgrading is a great option as I've seen many people frustrated by this very problem. However I don't understand why it's for a limited time only.

One option is that they have a terribly clunky system that handles the upgrades which, as far as I know, the game was never originally designed to support. As a result this most likely requires some (or a lot of) manual work and possibly involves a third party.

Another is that its a means of evoking subtle pressure on anyone thats thinking about upgrading: "Upgrade now or lose your chance". It means that people are more likely to part with their money instead of putting it off indefinitely because they have the option to upgrade at any time. Good chance that this kind of "limited offer" will pop up every now and again after a large enough chunk of minor reinforced tiers get sold. It just seems like the sensible thing to do on their part.

Probably a combination of both or none of the above, only UWE knows for sure though its unlikely they'll be willing to share every reason for every move they make.
    I don't blame then one bit though, business is business. At the end of the day they aren't here to make friends, they're here to make money. If they can convince you that giving them even more is a noble gesture on their part, all credit to them.

Just to make this clear as it might not be obvious from the tone of my statement, I have no beef with the Reinforced program or people who decided to donate. UWE passed the hat in a way where anyone that threw in some spare change gained no in-game advantage over players that didn't. Its a perfectly reasonable means of generating additional revenue if done right, which it mostly was.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Upgrading is a great option as I've seen many people frustrated by this very problem. However I don't understand why it's for a limited time only.

One option is that they have a terribly clunky system that handles the upgrades which, as far as I know, the game was never originally designed to support. As a result this most likely requires some (or a lot of) manual work and possibly involves a third party.

Another is that its a means of evoking subtle pressure on anyone thats thinking about upgrading: "Upgrade now or lose your chance". It means that people are more likely to part with their money instead of putting it off indefinitely because they have the option to upgrade at any time. Good chance that this kind of "limited offer" will pop up every now and again after a large enough chunk of minor reinforced tiers get sold. It just seems like the sensible thing to do on their part.

Probably a combination of both or none of the above, only UWE knows for sure though its unlikely they'll be willing to share every reason for every move they make.
    I don't blame then one bit though, business is business. At the end of the day they aren't here to make friends, they're here to make money. If they can convince you that giving them even more is a noble gesture on their part, all credit to them.

Just to make this clear as it might not be obvious from the tone of my statement, I have no beef with the Reinforced program or people who decided to donate. UWE passed the hat in a way where anyone that threw in some spare change gained no in-game advantage over players that didn't. Its a perfectly reasonable means of generating additional revenue if done right, which it mostly was.

Could also have to do with the "Secret Project" access you get with Shadow.
  • mo0nmo0n German Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189161Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited November 2013
    Hiho guys,
    First, sorry for my bad english :)

I need some help, i have the gold Badges and now i try to upgrade that in shadow, but the site say to me "You do not own any of the requisite badges (Silver, Gold, or Diamond)"

The Statswebsite say i that http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/399700

can someone help ?
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
  • mo0nmo0n German Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189161Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Yes, i try it. vrqpp2s7lw4u.png

and than i try it on http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/buy/shadowupgrade
    and this page say me You do not own any of the requisite badges (Silver, Gold, or Diamond)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @mo0n - firstly, you'd need to redeem your Gold badge on Reinforced redeem page. Then you should try upgrading again.
  • Comrade SuhovComrade Suhov Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176626Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Is it still possible to upgrade?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Is it still possible to upgrade?

Website is still working so i assume yes it's still possible
  • Comrade SuhovComrade Suhov Join Date: 2012-12-29 Member: 176626Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    But I wonder for how long (as it stated as limited time offer). I'm unable to get Shadow straight on, but I've got a feeling it will become unavailable as soon as I donate to silver or gold.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I just... really don't want to display my shadow icon in game anymore
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I just... really don't want to display my shadow icon in game anymore

You can hide your in-game badges by selecting the option on Hive - http://hive.naturalselection2.com/manage-badges
  • Shroober-1Shroober-1 Shadow home world Join Date: 2015-05-24 Member: 204834Members
    edited May 2016
    How exactly does one get a "tier" in the first place? (preferably shadow)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shroober-1 wrote: »
    How exactly does one get a "tier" in the first place? (preferably shadow)

You just resurrected a three year old thread. You are too late. The reinforcement program is gone now. You can no longer get a "tier." You can get all the skins in the community market place.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
This discussion has been closed.