[Mod] Game quality improvement and bug fixing mod

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The sound issue is caused by the DSP Effects that are used. One of the first things I remove in my game is the DSP Effects. The weapons sound much better without all that reverb :D
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    just specular maps alone for the new female model is 128 mb!!! (for 8 pictures) UWE could reduce the size of them by half to make things run smoother, all specular images for models are around 1.5 GIG in size and we are not even talking about normal maps regular and illuminating images. this could be improved long time ago
  • Lord_SothLord_Soth Join Date: 2004-06-10 Member: 29230Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I've never had that happen ever @Jekt

This happens on spawn after death.
    Seems like a strange lag time between spawn to death and it being redrawn.
    Not familiar with the way this is updated and drawn if its a server/client lag and has to wait for the update to draw the needed GUI but... yeah. Reinitialize the GUI again and it fixes it..
    If you try to evolve right on spawn you will notice it.
    Doesn't always happen but happens enough.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    hozz wrote: »
    Wow this is great!
    One more reason to wonder why the devs didn't do all that ages ago.

So why did no dev comment on this thread yet. @Hugh, I know you've seen it.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The sound issue is caused by the DSP Effects that are used. One of the first things I remove in my game is the DSP Effects. The weapons sound much better without all that reverb :D

How?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry, that should say in my mod, Proving Grounds, not my game..
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    I'd like to see a fix for the bug Jekt posted where traits are not selectable on the evolve menu because they're not present at all. Another similar bug I encounter is the evolution not actually happening; I select the traits and/or lifeform, click evolve, and then I get the sound effect, but nothing else.

I also saw a bug a while ago where a skulk hatched out of a fade egg after the egg had finished 'building', but before it became a usable fade egg. Seems like a pretty tight race condition, but it can be a devastating bug, assuming it's still possible (never got a reply on my bug report).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    I'd like to see a fix for the bug Jekt posted where traits are not selectable on the evolve menu because they're not present at all. Another similar bug I encounter is the evolution not actually happening; I select the traits and/or lifeform, click evolve, and then I get the sound effect, but nothing else.

I also saw a bug a while ago where a skulk hatched out of a fade egg after the egg had finished 'building', but before it became a usable fade egg. Seems like a pretty tight race condition, but it can be a devastating bug, assuming it's still possible (never got a reply on my bug report).

Yeah we don't know repro steps for that yet. Everyone is keeping an eye out though.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    The repo step is seriously just opening the evolve menu as soon as you pop out of your egg. Like on the same frame. It has to some sort of edge case problem where NS2 still thinks your gestating???
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    [ ] Not Told
    [ ] Relatively Told
    [X] Maximum Told
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited November 2013
    While priorities are important i think ns2 is generally in a decent enough state that many would like to see useful features and loads of smaller bugs fixed, i mean if they don't take that much time why not?

Escape on load, simple enough yet useful enough you wonder why it's not already part of the game, it's little things like that which all add up.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wow this is great!

I see your dev baiting tactic. Congratulations, you caught one.

So, what comments are you looking for exactly? Are you wanting us to respond to your insinuations that somehow the UWE devs are lazy, because instead of fixing the 1000s of other bugs that we've been fixing (as well as dealing with much higher priority issues such as making the game crash less and and run faster ) , we didn't address this specific handful of bugs that SamusDroid has worked on? Would you like us to make some comment about how it is pretty sad to use the much appreciated work of a community member as an excuse to yet again bash UWE? Should we use this opportunity to try and get people to understand that it is not just a matter of how "easy" it is to fix a bug, but a matter of priorities, and that every bug fixed often leads to more bugs, which requires a lot of additional time spend to thoroughly test the fixes, before we patch them?

Or maybe we can just leave this thread as an appropriate thank you to Samus for the hard work and dedication he's putting in to try and do his part to improve the game.

--Cory

No, I think positive feedback is always better than negative feedback. This mod fixes a some "comfort" bugs, which a lot of people (including me) really seem to appreciate.

So, instead of making a response focusing on how "sad" it is, that UWE didn't work on these yet (you said it's sad, btw, i can fully understand your point), I'd have written about how awesome it is that a community member manages to find and crush some bugs in his spare time and that they will be definitely included in the next patch, at least those who hand't been eliminated by UWE anyway.

Even if you don't put it like this, but come up with (bad or good) excuses, promises, anything: I think no statement sends a worse signal than any statement.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Wow this is great!

So, what comments are you looking for exactly? Are you wanting us to respond to your insinuations that somehow the UWE devs are lazy, because instead of fixing the 1000s of other bugs that we've been fixing (as well as dealing with much higher priority issues such as making the game crash less and and run faster ) , we didn't address this specific handful of bugs that SamusDroid has worked on? Would you like us to make some comment about how it is pretty sad to use the much appreciated work of a community member as an excuse to yet again bash UWE? Should we use this opportunity to try and get people to understand that it is not just a matter of how "easy" it is to fix a bug, but a matter of priorities, and that every bug fixed often leads to more bugs, which requires a lot of additional time spend to thoroughly test the fixes, before we patch them?

Or maybe we can just leave this thread as an appropriate thank you to Samus for the hard work and dedication he's putting in to try and do his part to improve the game.

--Cory

Cory, being under constant criticism is tough, I get that. A year ago, after years of delay and broken promises, you delivered an unfinished and unpolished game which may have come a long way since then (no one is denying you put a ton of work into it) but to this day has its fair share of issues. People like F0rd have bought the game and then some, stuck with you despite all the issues and put up with some fairly questionable treatment of a paying customer (Reinforced patch incident just to name one). No matter how frustrating it is, you have no right to have this attitude towards people who supported you all this time and will most likely continue to support you.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    Wow this is great!

--Cory

Cory, being under constant criticism is tough, I get that. A year ago, after years of delay and broken promises, you delivered an unfinished and unpolished game which may have come a long way since then (no one is denying you put a ton of work into it) but to this day has its fair share of issues. People like F0rd have bought the game and then some, stuck with you despite all the issues and put up with some fairly questionable treatment of a paying customer (Reinforced patch incident just to name one). No matter how frustrating it is, you have no right to have this attitude towards people who supported you all this time and will most likely continue to support you.

You're derailing the thread.

Thanks Samus for the work!
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Escape on load, simple enough yet useful enough you wonder why it's not already part of the game, it's little things like that which all add up.

Yes lets take that example. There is a little known bug that SOMETIMES when you type disconnect during loading, you end up in a infinite loading loop. There are no repro steps, nobody knows why it happens. Luckily, nearly nobody uses that feature. Exposing it in such an obvious way will make the bug appear much more often, which is bad. Its not just a matter of merging those patches, some of them might have unforseen consequences.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    DeskLamp wrote: »
    Wow this is great!

--Cory

You're derailing the thread.

Thanks Samus for the work!

Wasn't my intention.
    This is some good stuff, keep up the good work Samus. Its things like this that make the community happy while taking some of the load off the developers shoulders while they concentrate on fixing the bigger issues. Hopefully some of this stuff will make it into the official builds.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    Well done man. Hope these changes will be implemented soonish.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I meannnn, Squad Five Icon at least
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is that there are so much little bugs/missing features of low priority, that if you sum them they become of much higher priority.
    Take the mouse wheel inversion or keybindings in general.....

I miss the bug tracker, there you could see when and were UWE was working in fixes :(

I think most of us appreciate what UWE is doing. Other developer will just quit and let the game die ( remember Brink?).

But there are things left untouched after release, asked during beta that needs some attention. Please, take in consideration the labor some of the community members are doing to fix/add missing features in the vanilla game.
    Make some kind of deal or arrangement to include them into the official game. I think most of them will be happy to appear on the credits over taking money...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    The point of the thread, and mod was a way to get fixes out quicker, rather than submitting them and having to wait for them to be reviewed. Not that they don't ever implement any of them or won't. Some have been sitting the for a while yes, but they are still mostly getting implemented. Also lets me release bug fixes for some urgent things tha would normally require UWE to patch, like the clog fix. And some stuff that is not important enough for them to spent time implementing.

I'm very greatful for the fixes they have chosen to implement so far, thank you for taking the time to fix the little, and not so little things.
  • LORFCASTERLORFCASTER Join Date: 2010-06-13 Member: 72049Members
    edited November 2013
    I agree that a Squad 5 badge should be given to SamusDroid

Maybe also a ' Not squad 4 !' badge at the same time to be extra badass ?
    @Walsa perfectly sums it up for me.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good mod, is there anyway to figure out which servers have this? I would like to not crash when clogs are present.
    edited November 2013
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited November 2013
    Thank you, SamusDroid for this awesome update!

@Cory: It's hard to take you seriously when you wear that cynicism. Nobody's calling UWE lazy. I can see the case for calling UWE unappreciative, though.

Your artwork in Natural Selection 2 is amazing and easily encompasses some of the best the game has to offer. It's a bit heartbreaking that your posts always seem so burned out while your personal contributions are so greatly appreciated by the community. It's possible that this isn't said often enough.
    Updated mod. New in this version:
    - Fixed using backspace for in-game text chat breaks server filter editing (in-game keys not being blocked when menu is open). Trying to use backspace to delete text in the filter by server name would delete in game chat text instead of text in menu
    - Fixed Gorge build menu playing hover sounds even though you can't hover over build menu
    - Improved the circle around an obs or an arc when you select it (Very ugly before IMO even if intentional)
    Before
    -Added loading screen during game load (no more black screen)

Probably something else I am forgetting
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not sure if this fits for your mod, but having a proper chat box like I think Shine did would be a big improvement. Nothing more annoying than having to open the CONSOLE to see some chat you missed, or having it go off screen because the console can't scroll (another problem). The ability to copy paste in the chat box as well as paste in console (pasting in console can't be too hard?) would be much appreciated too.
    edited November 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Not sure if this fits for your mod, but having a proper chat box like I think Shine did would be a big improvement. Nothing more annoying than having to open the CONSOLE to see some chat you missed, or having it go off screen because the console can't scroll (another problem). The ability to copy paste in the chat box as well as paste in console (pasting in console can't be too hard?) would be much appreciated too.

I believe you are referring to this
    Warning: Too many console commands executed too fast
    I wish the console was scrollable
    Haha, god I hate that... But yes, that is an example of the spam that can make you lose chat. A dedicated scrollable chatbox like in source would be good. (Also gimme dat paste in console easiness!)