My Natural Selection Birthday Present, in case you missed it

Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
Hey all, some of you may know of me, and some of you may have seen this teasing around a bit on the two anniversary threads, but I felt it really deserved it's own thread. Yes, it's own personal thread, for all the teasing, suspense, and too-much-time-spent-on-revealing that I do so enjoy. I also know that someone is going to tell me that this is in the wrong forum section... Normally I would agree if this were simply a mod release, or a development thread, but it isn't. Hell I'm not even linking a download link in here yet, for reasons that shall be revealed... and the entire purpose of this thread is to target a more "General" audience, that is to say, everyone, that at least browses these forums.

With the immediate disclaimer out of the way, I promised a present for Natural Selections birthday, and I am here to continue to deliver upon that. My attempts to hype anything out of it may have fallen on a very select audience, and I can also understand that some prior events that may have been "hyped" by UWE have also led to a sense of pessimism. I'm not here to disappoint, and I feel pretty strongly that no one will be, however, I still feel the desire to create an atmosphere and anticipation, if only in the hope of restoring some of that enthusiasm that once accompanied the thoughts of "big reveal".

I now direct your attention to a little teaser/reveal!

(click http://i.imgur.com/M0b4Lp7.png for a static render)

Yup... that's all there is to it... no more surprises or suspense to be found here... nope... definitely not... especially not revealing something far more surprising and nostalgic in the near future, date-proximity pending actual community interest... nope...

Download link and workshop will be located for the M-28 SMG very soon, and it will also be given to Sewlek for use in his personal mod. Currently I'm battling with a few... "mod-friendly" issues with NS2 that would not allow the model to be used on %90 of all servers, due to the fact it features a brand new ammo counter and that requires a GUI .lua file to change some... and since NS2 doesn't have any form of white-listing or officially "endorsement" systems for determining non-exploitable or detrimental mods... there is very little hope for the large amount of work invested into this surprise by myself and colleague Jamin over the last YEAR. This thread is also being posted in General as a form of awareness for the community as to one of the reasons that so few mods exist, and so many die off, even the most successful and professional ones.

I will revisit this point later in this thread, however, for now please enjoy the little teaser, await and speculate what else I might or might not be hiding from you, and stay tuned for gameplay footage of the super amazing M-28 <error>SMG!

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Ugguh, there is more to the teaser/weapon and Im pretty sure about it, but I dont want to risk being right on again.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How does it sound omgomgomg?
    One of the last limitting factors to trying to get a workshop mod out is I feel it needs some new sounds... but I haven't got a damned clue how to get new sounds into Spark, and feel my skillset is sufficiently diverse without needing the added headache of getting into all that... if anyone here is a NS2 Sound Guru, or even mediocre, please let me know.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks good, i'd use it.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Some top quality work there. Nicely done.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Honestly, this looks great! Squad 5 stuff anyone?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Evil_Ice wrote: »
    One of the last limitting factors to trying to get a workshop mod out is I feel it needs some new sounds... but I haven't got a damned clue how to get new sounds into Spark, and feel my skillset is sufficiently diverse without needing the added headache of getting into all that... if anyone here is a NS2 Sound Guru, or even mediocre, please let me know.

I'm pretty sure I told you I know how to import sounds a while ago ;)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @Evil_Ice Fantastic work! If it's alright with you, I'm going to add this to MvM as soon as you make it available. Just wondering, what is the rate-of-fire? That is determined by the animation graph, or are you using the vanilla Rifle animation graph?
    Currently using the default rifle animation_graph, it's a complete 1:1 replacement at this time to allow it to function clientside... of course the consistency massacre is a different story... and feel free to implement it, I know Sewlek already is as well... and the...
    Bumpdate with new badass ammo counter, custom font etc:
    uTzrbxP.png
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please give it more spread than the lmg. It would make it easier for new players to hit skulks with it I think.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Please give it more spread than the lmg. It would make it easier for new players to hit skulks with it I think.

I think this has a lower Rate of fire than the LMG, right?
    If there's less bullets fired anyway, I wouldn't want them to be less precise as well...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh ok. Didn't know that. Of course it should have a faster rate of fire than. Would also be more intuitive for an smg.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Oh ok. Didn't know that. Of course it should have a faster rate of fire than. Would also be more intuitive for an smg.

No, I think a lower rate of fire is the way to go. Gives it a "heavier" feeling. But it should be fairly precise, imo. (Actually, it should have heavy recoil, but as NS2 doesnt have recoil...)
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Why are you two talking about rates of fire/spread? Its a model replacer, it functions exactly like the rifle, it just look different
    Yup, it's a very complex one, but it's purely aesthetic. It does include a custom made font, new ammo counter, new animations, new model/materials etc, but it doesn't have any new code attached to it, it's designed to be client-side, which means you can use it on any server... that is if it weren't for the super hardcore consistency system that seems to have no plans of accomidating mods.
    Has consistencey checking changed since the times when we could use the NS1 Fade/Knife with ease? I havent really kept up with stuff like that.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Default consistency checking blocks (very close to) everything.
    Yup, it's a very complex one, but it's purely aesthetic. It does include a custom made font, new ammo counter, new animations, new model/materials etc, but it doesn't have any new code attached to it, it's designed to be client-side, which means you can use it on any server... that is if it weren't for the super hardcore consistency system that seems to have no plans of accomidating mods.

Oh. I thought it added a whole new weapon.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    The model looks really good, but shouldn't the gun's butt be outside the first person vision? It kind of looks like the marine is holding the gun infront of him and not pressed against the shoulder.

Maybe give the weapon a retractable buttstock like this?
    http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/images/Tippmann_A5_Retractable_Buttstock_Gun_2.jpg

In any case, I hope your work will somehow make it into the game.
    Bicsum wrote: »
    In any case, I hope your work will somehow make it into the game.

^ This! It looks so outstanding, that I thought it will be implemented into the vanilla game anyway. As a new weapon that adds a choice between LMG and SG. Something that is easier to hit small aliens when close (more spread, higher rate of fire) but doesn't need the twitch aiming skill of the SG.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very nice!
    I'd like to see custom view models allowed in all NS2 servers, like it was in Half-Life! ( the v_* models if I remember correctly ) so we can use this without any problems!
    Thanks for the comments guys, and hopefully one day this will be allowed to work on all servers... stay tuned for the real surprise soon...
    Thanks for the comments guys, and hopefully one day this will be allowed to work on all servers... stay tuned for the real surprise soon...

You evil bastard, teasing us like that.

:D
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this gonna be soon soon? Or is it soon valve time?