New Alien Vision

Comments

• AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Bump. I'd really like to get a dev response about this.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Probably too embarrassed to admit they removed a popular feature to try and force people to "look at scenery"

What is next, the removal of minimal infest?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That wouldn't actually shock me, since they've already said they won't fix it.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @samusdroid our hero can you help us damsels in distress here?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Sadly, they changed the way the shaders work, so you can't just copy the old version over... [-(
    Shaders are not my kinda thing, one of the few things I am not familiar how to do :)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's mostly the same. I recently edited a shader and made my own alien vision. If someone has the old alien vision shader file I could probably get it working with the new format.
  • N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
    edited November 2013
    http://postimg.org/image/yd6myxd29/ My 2 pennies worth. Cant argue or complain about colour when there aint none!

Just saying...people cant if there aint none "purely figure of speech" ^^, @Mentalist that blends into society.

Maybe UWE should upload their favourite new concepts and have a poll? LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE...no suprises...WTF, DID I JUST GET TANGOED?

You know...when youve been tangoed.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    @N@uralBornNoobist

The complaints aren't really as much about the colour in itself, it's more about the poor contrast, overall brightness and visual clutter.
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    That wouldn't actually shock me, since they've already said they won't fix it.

Really...

SamusDroid wrote: »
    Sadly, they changed the way the shaders work, so you can't just copy the old version over... [-(
    Shaders are not my kinda thing, one of the few things I am not familiar how to do :)

Goddamnit uwe.

Can they at least whitelist some of the more popular new alien vision mods?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @jekt that would be great but what we need is something that can become official (ie another option on top of what we have already plus a totally unmodified vision for those that prefer no outlines at all), hence me asking @samusdroid to take a look: with all of his bug fixes, there's at least a small chance that a full-choice alien vision system might not just end up as another mod that can't be used in comp games.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    bump bump, bring back old alien vision :P
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Seahunts wrote: »
    I can't believe after all this time there is no official story on why this was implemented.

I'll donate $10 for old alien vision.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Huze's minimal alien vision mod is probably one of the best out there that I've seen. You get to see the "artwork of the rooms" when the power is on just like now but its easier to see and track marines as they are highlighted more. When the power is out you don't have the flashlight in the eyes syndrome, its different shades of black, so as an alien you can see where you're going and the marines are VERY visible and easy to track.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ^ +1 to this. I asked around and every one I talked to said use Huze's mod. It's freaking great.
    Yes, but you can't use it in comp games. ..
    That's why we need the option in vanilla ns2 to get proper alien sight!
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Huze's minimal alien vision mod is probably one of the best out there that I've seen. You get to see the "artwork of the rooms" when the power is on just like now but its easier to see and track marines as they are highlighted more. When the power is out you don't have the flashlight in the eyes syndrome, its different shades of black, so as an alien you can see where you're going and the marines are VERY visible and easy to track.

I prefer alien vision reloaded, it reminds me somewhat of the old alien vision. I love feeling like a predator. I really wish uwe would white list this mod and the one you mentioned. Default is garbage now.

• FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    If they make more maps with "dark rooms", the AV will be perfect.
    But right now its "meh".
  • triathtriath New York Join Date: 2008-08-10 Member: 64785Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Default is great now.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    triath wrote: »
    Default is great now.

Since you are one of the very few in this 16 page thread who like what we have. Can you explain what you like about it more then say What you see in these images? - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Not using Alien Flashlight but i have to agree that the default one is pretty horrible.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited November 2013
    current1y wrote: »
    Default is great now.

Since you are one of the very few in this 16 page thread who like what we have. Can you explain what you like about it more then say What you see in these images? - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

Just a quick clarification because it hasn't been said on this page. The "Alien Vision" we are complaining about is that orange eye-rape you get when you press 'f' while playing as any alien lifeform.

Default, normal, standard, base or whatever other name you want to call it would be assumed to be the orange outlines on an otherwise natural looking game. Those are fine, room for improvement maybe, but this thread isn't dedicated to complaining about them. If you still want to complain about alien-normal-vision I recommend you make a thread for just that.

Thanks for reading, see you in a few more pages!
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Default is great now.

Just a quick clarification because it hasn't been said on this page. The "Alien Vision" we are complaining about is that orange eye-rape you get when you press 'f' while playing as any alien lifeform.

Default, normal, standard, base or whatever other name you want to call it would be assumed to be the orange outlines on an otherwise natural looking game. Those are fine, room for improvement maybe, but this thread isn't dedicated to complaining about them. If you still want to complain about alien-normal-vision I recommend you make a thread for just that.

This thread really does talk about both alien vision and normal sight. Both need to be addressed so it makes sense to keep it all in one thread rather than spilling out further over the forums.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I thought this thread was to complain that UWE prioritized game aesthetics over game play. Oh and then hoped we would let it slide and forget by never acknowledging their actions.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited November 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Default is great now.

This thread really does talk about both alien vision and normal sight. Both need to be addressed so it makes sense to keep it all in one thread rather than spilling out further over the forums.

Why does normal sight need to be addressed? It could be turned into something like minimal alien vision but then (as with that mod) there would be no need for an f-activate alien vision mode at all. The augments to normal vision could be removed entirely, but only if alien vision were changed to something reasonable to look at. Depending on your personal style and opinions it might not even need to be changed at all.

What DOES need fixing is Alien Vision. The bright orange is visual cancer and I don't think it's a stretch to say everyone here thinks the thing is ugly as sin. A few people might actually want it to stay as it is, most likely as an excuse to not have to use it at all, but it's hard to sort them out between the people who are commenting on normal vision considering it to be acceptable.

I'd rather keep the fight on what we might actually be able to win, and besides, the thread title is "NEW ALIEN VISION". Alien vision is defined by the game itself as that thing the f key does by default.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited November 2013
    Damn this thread is still alive? Sure the old AV was better but now Ive gotten used to playing with AV off and actually get to see the scenery! Sure all the scenery is bland and the same colour, and all the marines blend in with the walls cause THEYRE the same colour too but whatevs right? At least now I know!
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    I thought this thread was to complain that UWE prioritized game aesthetics over game play. Oh and then hoped we would let it slide and forget by never acknowledging their actions.
    Old news is old. I figured this the first time I got stuck on one of those damn stagelights-on-a-pole in mineshaft.
  • gsgregogsgrego Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175651Members
    edited November 2013
    Wtf happened to thise game.. I come back to a game that looks like its on full bright in the whole level. The whole atomosphere of being an alien skulking up on the marines is gone.

The levels feel so bland being completely bright all the time now.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    yay, this thread is still going strong. personally, AV changes were a large part of why I took a month hiatus, along with the other reinforced issues. I'll probably stay gone until something comes along to make it less cluttered. be that pub play only, or if an official something, pugs. im glad that this discontent has not been swept under the rug.