Return to Eclipse - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited November 2013
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    i will be very pleased and surprised if it is in fact "the same" but i suspect, for example, where there used to be a ladder there is now a long ass ramp. shame, that was one of the most intense points of action and ambush - the bottom and top of that ladder from rine start to triad.
    *fingers crossed for an early release!*

You can see at the 23 second mark in the video that the ladder going down to Triad has been changed to a stairway. They had to make this change because it would be absolutely absurd to see Gorges and Onos climbing that ladder like they used to do in NS1 - it was silly looking then and would look worse now. I don't understand all the grumbling on this thread - I'm psyched for this map and it looks like Remedy and the crew did a fantastic job from what we can see so far. IMO this looks like it could be the best looking map I've seen for NS2 so far. There are more (early) pics on Remedy's WIP thread in the mapping forum for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It was obvious from the quality that he had shown in the WIP that the UWE devs had grabbed Remedy to make it an official map. That dude has some serious talent and I hope they have him make more maps.
    vWUYXd8.png
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Warmonger wrote: »
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    i will be very pleased and surprised if it is in fact "the same" but i suspect, for example, where there used to be a ladder there is now a long ass ramp. shame, that was one of the most intense points of action and ambush - the bottom and top of that ladder from rine start to triad.
    *fingers crossed for an early release!*

You can see at the 23 second mark in the video that the ladder going down to Triad has been changed to a stairway. They had to make this change because it would be absolutely absurd to see Gorges and Onos climbing that ladder like they used to do in NS1 - it was silly looking then and would look worse now. I don't understand all the grumbling on this thread - I'm psyched for this map and it looks like Remedy and the crew did a fantastic job from what we can see so far. IMO this looks like it could be the best looking map I've seen for NS2 so far. There are more (early) pics on Remedy's WIP thread in the mapping forum for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It was obvious from the quality that he had shown in the WIP that the UWE devs had grabbed Remedy to make it an official map. That dude has some serious talent and I hope they have him make more maps.
    I'm almost 100% sure Remedy did not work on this current state of the map we see now and is still walking around in the jungle somewhere discovering his inner self, reaching enlightenment etc. His vision was always more minimalistic and true to the ns1 version, as you will see in his WIP versions.
    Enter Jake, Oli, Michael, Marc and Andrew from the UWE mapping team.
    The mapping skill and detail is really truly amazing, but its definitely not minimalistic and gameplay minded. Just look at that screenshot you posted. Why are there glass windowed (even worse than the holey ones) railings down perfectly good set of stairs that have wall backings. We all know how much railings like to troll when it comes to bullet collision, movement, and the like. As far as i see, it just creates space to potentially get stuck and impede walljump.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    ns_eclipse and the "wrong hive" "not live" starts :p
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @elodea
    I'm no mapper, but..
    In regards to complicated geometry, the visual impact can remain without impacting gameplay with proper care...
    Getting intricate geometry to allow smooth traversal is more than possible and done very frequently, but i do agree that there are times when this is not done well enough or even considered thoroughly. (Hydroanalysis railings)

Those glass railings can be there just for looks (take the middle one out!!) and share collision with the wall so as not to impede walljumping whatsoever?

Minimalist designs that you speak of were never advertised in this game despite it being a sequel to a game that did - not even from the beginning. We had crates, elaborate props, dynamic lighting, and complicated geometry from the get go.. a far cry from the engine limitation derived blank hallways of NS1. They also are not used in any modern games? Even the far end of minimalist map design games like Warsow have roofs, crates, vents, pipes that are traversed.

Did NS1 maps provide easier tracking and easier movement? Yes. Was it easier to balance? Yes. Should the game be easier by using that method?... that's a tougher one to answer and i would argue no..
    The game should not be made easier by holding back on practical implementation of environments.
    I remember picking out a pixel in Q2DM1 being far easier than picking out that camping camo'd sniper hundreds of meters away in the trees of White Pass in BC2.. That doesn't make Q2DM1 a better design or a worse design.. its just the natural evolution of gaming. Technology has allowed us to move onto more practical and realistic environments.. that therefore provide more of a challenge.

So why go that route if you do not have to? Why advocate for gray wall gaming? This should be an accepted natural progression of games.. environments simply become more beautiful and more complicated with new technology. And as long as i see players flying through maps, walljumping just fine through every single complicated prop ridden room.. I really don't think we have any reason to go back to those visually bland hallways.
    But that's all my opinion..
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Map overview, even of alpha, would be nice. Not everyone played NS1 in that map <.<
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Jonacrab wrote: »
    I'm almost 100% sure Remedy did not work on this current state of the map we see now and is still walking around in the jungle somewhere discovering his inner self, reaching enlightenment etc. His vision was always more minimalistic and true to the ns1 version, as you will see in his WIP versions.

Remedy was involved in the development of the map for a long time until he fell off the face of the earth, and it was always assumed he would still continue developing the map after it became official, but he just disappeared one day and never came back, so the development of the map was left to us.

To match Remedy with the word "minimalistic" is an oxymoron. Eclipse in an unfinished state managed to reach more polygon faces than a finished version of descent, a much larger map. Currently we have reverted a lot of remedy's changes to the map, which did a lot to move away from the ns1 design of the map, which I believe were unnecessary changes, and so things have moved a bit away from his vision of the map. The map still retains some of what remedy did, and definitely represents a lot of his hard work, but your insinuation that the map in the ns2 developers hands will somehow result in losing the spirit of the original, is misguided, as we have done a lot to make the map closer to the original after remedy disappeared.
    Two things really.

1) I mean minimalism from the gameplay perspective, not the mapping perspective. You could have 1 flat surface made out of 9000 polygon faces and it'd still be for all intents and purposes minimalistic. You only have to look at the screenshots posted in the ns2_eclipse map thread to see how clean, uncluttered, and clear the spacing was. Obviously i would love to actually look at the new ns2_eclipse, compare screenshots and have a more informed opinion but I can't. I'm only posting my concerns based on what's been released, and am aware that those concerns could very well be incorrect for the majority of the map.

2) I didn't say anything about the 'spirit' of the original. Whether or not 'minimalism', or the current eclipse design, captures the 'spirit' of the original is not something I think is worth discussing since interpretation is always just that. I am also very well aware that remedy did try to heavily modify the maintenance hive area and for good reason. Every other textured area of the map was faithful (dimension and geometry wise). Easy on the eyes, with simple texturing, clear lines, spacing and walljump flow.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2057663/#Comment_2057663
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remedy was involved in the development of the map for a long time until he fell off the face of the earth,

I guess he found God's silly hole-in-the-map mapping mistake.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @elodea
    Those sections are still like that, whether they have been changed by the new mappers or not, the flow remains the same.
    (cant speak on that laser section though, haven't had that in game yet)

Compare
    http://i.imgur.com/UWQbp.jpg
    with
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/11/Eclipse.Still004.jpg

FOV aside, the dimensions and open space are nearly identical..

or this
    http://i.imgur.com/nJss3.jpg
    with
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/11/Eclipse.Still003.jpg

And not to point fingers, but you actually were speaking from a minimalist mapping perspective when you said "i'm more concerned with the overcomplex geometry and props than the lighting that was shown."
    Remedy loved his rounded corners :)

TBH, i still see issues with the NS1 layout being used in NS2 when we play it internally.. the frequency of extremely narrow corridors and chokepoints as well as where the aliens start having the largest impact on the direction of the round over any other map layout. I'd be okay if it wasn't always "faithful (dimension and geometry wise)"
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    I don't know much about mapping, let alone anything about polygons in the maps. But why can't the new maps run fantastic and look decent, slowly look better over time, while running top notch. Instead of looking fantastic and running like garbage at first, then slowly trying to make it run better, if at all.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    edited November 2013
    The new dark textures fit. I really loved Eclipse. It was a brilliant map and made the GoldSrc engine look impressively pretty.
  • triathtriath New York Join Date: 2008-08-10 Member: 64785Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm really liking what we've seen of the new version. I don't feel the changes were unnecessary and come out tasteful and will benefit play.

@Warmonger
    Not just because it looked silly as hell but while they offered some intense chokepoints for some sweet fights I think it hindered things too much most of the time. I have no doubt UWE found a good compromise with the layout as to not hurt the gameplay.

I'm pretty stoked to see this developed further and actually get to play it.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    We had crates, elaborate props, dynamic lighting, and complicated geometry from the get go.. a far cry from the engine limitation derived blank hallways of NS1. They also are not used in any modern games? Even the far end of minimalist map design games like Warsow have roofs, crates, vents, pipes that are traversed.

Just dont fall into the trap that more complexity in a map equals more depth and interesting gameplay. A crate here and there is a very dull idea of spicing up a map i hope you realize.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The true beauty of a map is the shape and dimensions of each room imo.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Before I even get to see this new eclipse, I already know what the new map will be like compared to the original:

* no weldable points
    * no elevators
    * no breakable glass
    * removed a bunch of ladders
    * more ramps than the original
    * 5 techpoints
    * 1-20 FPS instead of 60

feel free to prove me wrong.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @Amb you know that you can go get the early version off the workshop and see for yourself.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel this song is very fitting....

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I didn't see the layout but i do think NS1 maps are not good for NS2.
    Veil is an example of what is just wrong.

• PhoeBubbaPhoeBubba Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can see that a lot would need to be changed to make it suitable for NS2 gameplay, but I do hope enough of the spirit stays. Most of my enduring NS1 memories are from Eclipse including the birth of the Skulk Hat.
    Skulking into a CC relocate to Computer core after a rush took out the IPs and all but two marines, ghosting down a wall and sitting on top of Robin's head as he covered the commander who was rebuilding. Leaving them both wondering why everyone on TS was laughing in the face of the approaching alien respawn wave and defeat.
    I miss that spirit of it not being about winning or losing, just having fun with friends. Far too many people server hopping as soon as the first expansion falls now :/
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Veil is a great map..
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    ezekel wrote: »
    i enjoy veil
    Veil is a great map..

Enjoying it is not incompatible with the fact that Veil is just wrong.

I play on some server where all know what to do. It ends up like flipping a coin. It's hammering on alien or on marine. But no team does a come back... ever.

Technically Veil isn't good for NS2. You can enjoy the vents and stuff but ultimately it is wrong for NS2. It has only 4 tech points. So less field to cover. If i remember correctly it's not respecting the guideline for making maps.

All hives are JP tempting. Pipe stay the doom hive. Sub-Sector the "too opened" one.

The worst is when you play with somehow not so experienced players. They all go to Nano for nothing. Make them understand the "cut in half the map plan" (pg cargo) is out of reach. They learn something they reproduce over and over. The exact same syndrome on NS1. I call it Drones.

It should be reworked to add another hive. ...So ppl can stop playing like drones.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    I play on some server where all know what to do. It ends up like flipping a coin. It's hammering on alien or on marine. But no team does a come back... ever.
    I've seen countless comebacks on Veil, though most involving a sneaky Gorge Tunnel (e.g. Topo) or Phase Gate (e.g. Cargo). Also System Waypoint / East Wing hold a lot of potential. The JP in hiverooms is a problem, but thats the same for Atrium or Flight Control in Summit.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as it isn't another carbon copy of summit, ns1 fans should be happy.
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As long as it isn't another carbon copy of summit, ns1 fans should be happy.
    Actually no, because they know good ns1 maps doesn't mean good maps for ns2, since it's two really different games.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    IMO cluttered, collidable aesthetic geometry that I get stuck on is so endemic to ns2 maps that you might as well consider it a feature.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Amb wrote: »
    Before I even get to see this new eclipse, I already know what the new map will be like compared to the original:

* no weldable points
    * no elevators
    * no breakable glass
    * removed a bunch of ladders
    * more ramps than the original
    * 5 techpoints
    * 1-20 FPS instead of 60

feel free to prove me wrong.

well the original eclipse did not have
    *Weldable points
    *Elevators
    *Breakable glass
    *5 tech points

So umm yeah...
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weldable points were on every official map
    edited November 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @elodea
    Those sections are still like that, whether they have been changed by the new mappers or not, the flow remains the same.
    (cant speak on that laser section though, haven't had that in game yet)

Compare
    http://i.imgur.com/UWQbp.jpg
    with
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/11/Eclipse.Still004.jpg

FOV aside, the dimensions and open space are nearly identical..

or this
    http://i.imgur.com/nJss3.jpg
    with
    http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/files/2013/11/Eclipse.Still003.jpg

And not to point fingers, but you actually were speaking from a minimalist mapping perspective when you said "i'm more concerned with the overcomplex geometry and props than the lighting that was shown."
    Remedy loved his rounded corners :)

TBH, i still see issues with the NS1 layout being used in NS2 when we play it internally.. the frequency of extremely narrow corridors and chokepoints as well as where the aliens start having the largest impact on the direction of the round over any other map layout. I'd be okay if it wasn't always "faithful (dimension and geometry wise)"
    Yea i know, there are some really well lit and clear areas shown (Although why there are crates in the middle of that corridor i will never know). But just as i'm not going to straight away assume the entire map is terrible from two screenshots, i'm not going to assume it's great from two really restricted view angle screenshots either. Especially when there are other concerning screenshots (laser drill, useless railings on stairs, dark and 'restrictive' looking eclipse tech point.

Also, I don't really want to keep going on and on about this like a broken record, but rounded corners are in fact a great example to illustrate exactly what i'm talking about. Lots of poly faces, but a minimalistic gameplay result. Overcomplex geometry from the perspective of gameplay is when you have a surface/room become overly articulated with thousands of corners, grooves, and juts to make it look 'kool'. When you do have juts from a wall, I feel they should generally be spaced to intuitively communicate walljumping routes. Just like the screenshot you linked http://i.imgur.com/nJss3.jpg.

Anyway, it's good to hear from you that the flow remains good from the pt.