Return to Eclipse - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageReturn to Eclipse - Natural Selection 2

Eclipse is one of the most iconic Natural Selection battlefields. Prepare to return.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    He probably just forgot. :P
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Can't wait. Looks amazingly good, all these little details. Whos working on it?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Looks amazing. The only minor bummer is that veil and eclipse will no longer be sister maps in art style, but veil was always the more successful of the two in visuals IMHO, so I'm glad it got to be the one to keep it. Awesome stuff.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Hugh, where are you?

Also: more props for mapping :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That looks amazing. It was great fun to run around Remedy's remake before. Seeing the layout in NS2, now it is going to look amazing. I can't wait to play it :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I truly meant what I said in the final paragraph. One of my most cherished NS memories was a desperate defence of Maintenance from an incoming heavy train, myself and a group of Skulks/Gorges waging a gorilla ware from the extensive ventilation system below Keyhole. Running through those spaces in NS2, it all returns. The brain recognises the patterns, turns, layouts and routes, just all now much richer and more vibrant.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "This place is tits!" - Frank Reynolds
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    "Coming end of 2013"
    aka
    Tuesday December 31st @11:59PM

Anyway, the map plays surprisingly well. :D Can't wait for official release.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Seems good.

Speaking of returning to things, lets revert to 249 when you release that map.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    eclipse was the map my first ever NS game was played on.

I hope the map makers are able to incorporate the necessary changes to make the map play well in NS2 while still keeping a healthy dose of nostalgia.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    joshhh wrote: »
    "Coming end of 2013"
    aka

Pfft let's not be too optimistic. Unknown Worlds may have an exceptional record of nailing deadlines, but Eclipse is a step up in terms of quality and attention to detail. We'll do our best to maintain our perfect history, but can't promise it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    joshhh wrote: »
    "Coming end of 2013"
    aka

Anyway, the map plays surprisingly well. :D Can't wait for official release.

You don't really think they let those 59 seconds left in 2013 pass by unused?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Its like every new map keeps getting more and more beautiful

Summit is becoming like the old ex GF who stays true and reliable and is one you can always give a late night call to for a good time... but is beginning to look a bit ugly in comparison to the new hot ones you're dating lately, so you feel a little less inclined to answer those texts/votes.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well more maps is never bad... I just hope they dont become to nice to fast.
    Dont wanna lower detail now do I :p
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Its like every new map keeps getting more and more beautiful

Summit is becoming like the old ex GF who stays true and reliable and is one you can always give a late night call to for a good time... but is beginning to look a bit ugly in comparison to the new hot ones you're dating lately, so you feel a little less inclined to answer those texts/votes.

Yeah there's also a point where the map is too good looking and doesn't perform well at all and destroys everyone's computers.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    You mean all maps when they are first released?

Even summit received hundreds of iterations and optimizations throughout it's life. (The original crevice fps - ugh)
    And tram was simply un playable for ages, even when other maps were getting released like mineshaft, but its now amazing (remember the mechanical arm prop in the original shipping dropping fps into single digits?)
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    You mean all maps when they are first released?

Even summit received hundreds of iterations and optimizations throughout it's life. (The original crevice fps - ugh)
    And tram was simply un playable for ages, even when other maps were getting released like mineshaft, but its now amazing (remember the mechanical arm prop in the original shipping dropping fps into single digits?)

Its just the last 2 maps (descent and Biodome) have been a nightmare visually when they come out. Sure maybe the maps might get better, but how long for them to get to summits play-ability? How about the fact that Biodome was waaaay worse than descent. Is Eclipse going to be even worse? I don't want it to be at all.
  • Florp_IncarnateFlorp_Incarnate Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3045Members
    Super stoked for this - IF they remember to add random spawns for Marines as well as Aliens.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    the layout and spaces remain the same.
    not really the same, more like nearly the same.
    i will be very pleased and surprised if it is in fact "the same" but i suspect, for example, where there used to be a ladder there is now a long ass ramp. shame, that was one of the most intense points of action and ambush - the bottom and top of that ladder from rine start to triad.
    *fingers crossed for an early release!*
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Super stoked for this - IF they remember to add random spawns for Marines as well as Aliens.

I doubt it, as i remember this map is more like Veil right? Marines north, aliens south (and east-ish).
    We need a mini map teaser picture!!

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Looks great. As usual the art is just amazing.

Just gameplay wise I hope my fear of this map becoming 'overly immersive' ever since uwe took over from remedy isn't justified. You know, with the usual not enough lighting and low contrast against skulks, obscuring holograms and other effects, frustrating and complicated geo/props, performance issues, and so on.
  • SkyPirateSkyPirate Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146845Members
    More maps please, different is good, bolder, more diverse, surprising, scary. I cant stress enough different... different, not like the maps out now... im bored wit the currently maps after hundreds of hours of game play in each map.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, usually when you go back and play/look at a game that is 10 years in your past, you remember it as looking way better then it really was (graphically) and get pixel shock when you see how blocky/blurry it was.

This just reminds me how amazeballs the original NS and it's mappers were.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    The map looks amazing. My only hope is they add a bit more of the human touch. As in little things that show that it has been lived in, and perhaps indicators as to what happened to make it deserted. These things add a real immersive element (think dead space). I feel biodome, while visually stunning, lacked that human element.
    edited November 2013
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    How about the fact that Biodome was waaaay worse than descent. Is Eclipse going to be even worse? I don't want it to be at all.
    That's because it had less time in the oven, comparatively, so to speak.. and also largely due to the huge rendering changes that occurred and needed smoothing out.
    Basically, it was a perfect storm of events that led to that.
    elodea wrote: »
    Just gameplay wise I hope my fear of this map becoming 'overly immersive' ever since uwe took over from remedy isn't justified. You know, with the usual not enough lighting and low contrast against skulks, obscuring holograms and other effects, frustrating and complicated geo/props, performance issues, and so on.
    I really do hope they keep the lighting and effects..
    It adds so much to the game and is a large reason why people first pre ordered way back when (dynamic lighting, dynamic infestation etc) ..

And lets be real honest here.. anyone who doesn't want these sorts of things (comp) are going to play the stripped down / bland / lifeless NSL versions anyways like they always do?
    /shields self
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why make the maps look good.. but not structured properly...

Id rather have an ugly map and have it be structured perfectly.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Its just the last 2 maps (descent and Biodome) have been a nightmare visually when they come out.
    Yep, the "old" maps are much nicer to play. Starting with Descent, there is too much visual clutter and everything-is-bright lighting that stops you from catching the gameplay influencing geometry of the rooms (and all the small bumps and columns make walls much harder to use for Skulks, so you get more floor Skulks). Worst offender is that glass passage on Biodome.

Though Eclipse seems to be better in that regard (simple but nice, like the hallway shot), although some shots are still too noisy. We'll see :)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    elodea wrote: »
    I really do hope they keep the lighting and effects..
    It adds so much to the game and is a large reason why people first pre ordered way back when (dynamic lighting, dynamic infestation etc) ..

And lets be real honest here.. anyone who doesn't want these sorts of things (comp) are going to play the stripped down / bland / lifeless NSL versions anyways like they always do?
    /shields self

Well nsl maps are generally not too much better for visibility (except docking). More constant lighting, less dark corners, and no hologram effects. But the consequence being much lower contrast and overall brightness, which assumes that you are going to do some gamma boosting or white light tweaking in the first place.

Tbh, i'm more concerned with the overcomplex geometry and props than the lighting that was shown. Like that laser drill down in the corridor outside maint. Doesn't look good for walljumping flow, and a pain to get back up as a marine, so that there's just a huge bunch of essentially useless space for the sake of immersion. I mean, I hope the laser isn't going to have some silly death trigger.

Oh, and the performance concerns.. Just look at the performance impact of a more detailed map like biodome compared to stock summit. Bio would be one of my favourite maps if it wasn't constantly changing mouse behaviour every few meters due to rendering lag. It's not ms waiting on gpu anymore, as much as it is ms waiting on cpu rendering thread.