[Linux] After update NS2 hangs with a black screen while hogging my CPU

tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited October 2013 in Technical Support
Hi,

after NS2 was updated, I started the game but it just hangs there with a black window, the resource monitor shows that one of the cores of my CPU is busy with doing something for the game (since 30 minutes now) and NS2's logfile shows
Date: 10/31/13
Time: 18:24:56:
Build 259
Ubuntu 13.04 i686
Steam initialized
Num displays: 1
OpenGL 4.3.12614 Compatibility Profile Context 13.25.18 initialized (ATI Technologies Inc. ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series)
GLSL version 4.30
ARB_texture_storage extension present
Sound Device: default stereo
Record Device: default
Compiling 'renderer/DeferredShading.shader'

GPU: AMD Radeon HD5870
GPU driver: AMD Catalyst 13.11beta6
CPU: AMD FX 6350

*edit

I now killed the process, verified the cache and started again. But it's hanging at the same position again.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Hmm..
    Looks to be failing at the beginning of compiling shaders..
    I would nuke from orbit.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    nuking...

@IronHorse okay reinstalled now, started aaand it managed to compile a few things but then hung at GUIBasic.surface_shader. I killed the game, deleted the file, ran the cache checking thing from Steam and started the game again, it compiled another shader but again got stuck. Any ideas? Also which parts are used to compile a shader anyway? Is the GPU involved there? Or just the CPU?

okay, I let it run for 7 hours now and nothing. It hangs at
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive.surface_shader'
    and another 10 hours, nothing. Please? Help?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Sorry, should have posted.

It looks like an issue with the current build and the fglrx driver. Basically, during this step it normally will spawn a bunch of threads and compile shaders but for some reason it is not doing so for the 13.11 drivers.

Not sure if it is that specific driver or and underlying bug in the ns2 code base at this point. My plan was to bother Max about it later on.

edited November 2013
    edited November 2013
    @Confused hey, just wanted to tell you that b260 did NOT fix this. Just in case you were wondering or forgot about it or something like that ;)

Should it have fixed that problem? Or did 'Max' find out if it is indeed a driver problem?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Sorry, I haven't managed to do a whole lot ns related in a few weeks. Trying to figure out the big picture things in my life like where I will live come June, what job ill have etc etc. Looks like that is mostly sorted out now. so

I will check in with max about the linux stuff and see what is up on that front. There is this and the mesa/3.core question.

edited November 2013
    Sorry, I haven't managed to do a whole lot ns related in a few weeks. Trying to figure out the big picture things in my life like where I will live come June, what job ill have etc etc. Looks like that is mostly sorted out now
    really? You feel sorry about not doing NS2 related stuff when you've such things to do in reallife?! I sincerely hope you'll figure that stuff out on time!
  • iamoverratediamoverrated USA Join Date: 2013-11-25 Member: 189562Members
    I'm having the same problem. This is getting to be ridiculous. This is the last AMD card I ever buy.
    edited November 2013
    I'm having the same problem. This is getting to be ridiculous. This is the last AMD card I ever buy.

and it's AMD's fault because...? (hint: usually it's some developer not following the standard/not doing stuff the way it should be done.)

I'm usually all for blaming AMD for stuff, but that's usually limited to bugs that are absolutely their fault or lack of performance. This bug though, is most probably something done wrong in NS2 code. Compiling shaders is something that most games do and since no other game has a problem there and this game only has a problem since build 260, I don't see how it's a bug in AMD's code.

They should just bisect their code and debug the change that broke it. That's no magic, that's basic stuff.
  • DominationDomination San Antonio, Tx Join Date: 2013-11-28 Member: 189609Members
    I posted my answer to this issue on different post ( https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132774/linux-b260-doesn-t-start/p2 ) but I'll just copy and paste it here.

I HAD the same problem but have discovered that this problem seems to exist when installing catalyst drivers 13.10 and later. I can play the game pretty flawlessly using catalyst 13.8 beta2 drivers and have been for several months now. I always check if the new drivers have this issue fixed but this hasn't been the case yet. So if you wish to play anything at this point I suggest just sticking to the beta 13.8 drivers for now. If you can't find them online (you should be able to, AMD usually keeps them archived on their site you just have to look around) I can send them to you.

Hope this helps! :)

My System:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
    Memory: Corsair 16gb
    Video: AMD Radeon HD 7850
    I got in touch with max over the weekend. He says he is gonna try to circle back on most of the Linux issues as soon as he can. So, the best I can do is urge everyone to hang tight and he should get the issues sorted once he can find the time in his schedule to do so.

Also, happy turkey day etc etc

Domination wrote: »
    I HAD the same problem but have discovered that this problem seems to exist when installing catalyst drivers 13.10 and later. I can play the game pretty flawlessly using catalyst 13.8 beta2 drivers and have been for several months now.
    CPU: AMD FX-8350
    Memory: Corsair 16gb
    Video: AMD Radeon HD 7850

in that case I've to admit that I was apparently wrong on assuming it's a NS2 problem. Sorry.

@Confused yeah, we don't have much of a choice there... :/ thanks for relaying/pushing the matter, though.

@Confused hey, got any news for me? Please?
    Sadly, I got nothing :(

I have been traveling until about a week ago and since then trying to catch up on all the stuff I let slide over the holiday. So, I haven't had time to deal with much ns2 stuff as yet this year. Will let you know what's going to happen when I know more.
  • ZukerSFMZukerSFM Ukraine Join Date: 2013-12-06 Member: 189863Members
    Confirm issue on
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD6630M
    GPU driver: AMD Catalyst 13.20.6

BTW I've had no possibility to play the game at all since purchase in autumn :)
    edited January 2014
    @Confused hope you had a nice travel time. It's just kind of frustrating on my side...especially since you are the guy I'm contacting the entire time...instead of one of the developers. If they can't reproduce the error or need any kind of help, they could just ask me. Hell, I'd let them take a look at it via a remote software if it helps them fix this.

But all I get is a 'will be forwarded'. That's nice the first two times, but after those it equals a 'this won't be fixed since the devs don't care about this problem'. And I know that this has been discussed in at least one other thread where people think that it could be the AMD driver, but in that case please get in touch with AMD and get them to fix it. If you've to, get Valve into the boat, after all it's their gaming platform you are distributing over and I know that they are in close contact with AMD/Intel/NVidia.

Thanks for posting/confirming @ZukerSFM
    @tuxator, it's no more fun being the middle man on it and not having anything to say about it.

That said, I'm hoping that we get the goods soon.