Natural Selection 2 One Year Anniversary - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageNatural Selection 2 One Year Anniversary - Natural Selection 2

On this day, Halloween 2012, Natural Selection 2 was launched on Steam. The following year has blown our minds at Unknown Worlds. More people have purchased, played, contributed to and been a part of Natural Selection 2 than we ever thought possible. Naturally, this date calls for a celebration. Natural Selection 2 build 260 is now live on Steam – It doesn’t have a special name, because its special nature lies in its normalness. Natural Selection 2 has been updated countless times since launch, and it is the cumulative improvement that these updates have brought which are most proud of. The birthday build also includes some new toys to play with – The Shadow Gorge, and Shadow Lerk.…

Read the full story here

Comments

• FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Look at that sexay Lerk
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Inb4 controversy about strafe jump and gorge tunnels :>
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    It's been a long time playing NS!

Can't wait for eclipse :)
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    am i effing glad or what? eclipse. FINALLY.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    now when you say marine dodge jump we're talking about the removal of the 1 m/s velocity boost given when strafe jumping right?
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    strafing and jumping is simply back to the original mechanic. (not that you can no longer jump sideways) :p
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Can you replace the pistol sound with the NS1 pistol sound please.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    DAT SPIKEY GORGE BELLY.
    DAT DEPTH OF FIELD SCREENSHOT.

You guys should add back NS1 in-game music as an audio option for NS2. I feel like that is something missing that is CRUCIAL in building atmosphere to this game.

How about dem 1st person animation fixes with female marine LMG hand wrapping? Thumbs aren't connecting to the rifle and there's also no recoil when shooting.

Was wondering where this game would be a year after release. Came a looooong way. Even in times of frustration, this is really the only game I dedicate a lot of time in. Here's to another year *gorge taunt*

Now I believe Evil_Ice has his OWN anniversary surprise :F.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That shadow gorge looks like a mini onos with all the extra bone plates.
  • Mr_OrangeMr_Orange Australia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188882Members
    Want to upgrade my 'Diamond' level contribution to 'Shadow' using the link - however my Diamond purchase is not linked to my forum account (which I just created). Will I still be able to upgrade to Shadow for the cheaper price?
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    now when you say marine dodge jump we're talking about the removal of the 1 m/s velocity boost given when strafe jumping right?

Please clarify this.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow

Please clarify this.
    When jumping, marine speed (while in the air) is increased by 1 m/s. The balance test nerfed it to .5 m/s I believe, but the wording here in the patch states, more or less, "removed completely," so there might be some confusion there.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mr_Orange wrote: »
    Want to upgrade my 'Diamond' level contribution to 'Shadow' using the link - however my Diamond purchase is not linked to my forum account (which I just created). Will I still be able to upgrade to Shadow for the cheaper price?

Unfortunately not, @Mr_Orange, the upgrade system requires verification with a forum account that currently owns an up-gradable tier.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yeaaa!!! Upgrading to Shadow RIGHT NOW! Thanks UWE! Exclamation point!
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Happy Birthday Natural Selection!
    I have got 120 games on Steam and Natural Selection 2 is my favorite I have pulled over 1000 hours in it. I have never been disappointed in what UWE has done. Can not wait for the next game you make will be buying it in a heartbeat.
    Happy Birthday Natural Selection!
  • DmagedonDmagedon Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183598Members
    Happy birthday guys, I take my hat off for all of your hard work and accomplishment. When will the Reinforced donation system end? (getting paid next month :D)
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    purchased the upgrade tier, rebooted my client and still don't see the diamond badge in game.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Bring on Eclipse :)

Huge nano shield nerf, wooo hooo :) I don't think removing strafe jump will make any different, noob skulks with bad bite aim will still be bad.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    Nice, really happy to see you are still working on optimization :).

Still .... hope we will soon have a matchmaking system implemented.

Regards
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This build, I like it a lot. Good job UWE, Happy birthday NS2!
    Shadow Lerk, oh yessssssss
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I guess those changes to player collision haven't yet made it over from the beta mod?
  • blzdblzd Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149806Members
    I always find it amazing how much the community expects from a small indie dev coming off a free mod, but you guys never fail to impress. Thanks for the countless hours of fun and keeping one of my favorite games of all time alive.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    woohoo! great work UWE!
    you hard working coders and artists...we love ya!
  • Archangel_TyraelArchangel_Tyrael Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183350Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Happy birthday Natural Selection!! Super excited to see Eclipse again. should bring back memories of my childhood :) also, THANK YOU for making marines less bouncy. I always felt like I was less agile as a skulk then the marines I was trying to bite. Should level the playing field a bit.

Thanks for all the great work UWE!
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    Thank you for your hard work! Jumping into a server now..
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Mouse wrote: »
    I guess those changes to player collision haven't yet made it over from the beta mod?
    Nope. Quite a few things are missing from that changelog though, that's not one of them.