A riddle

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
You are in a room. You have no time to think. You have no way of escape.

With you in the room, there is an armory and an Extractor, and you are a skulk. Which one do you bite and why?

(I'm stuck in this dilemma quite often lately, so I thought I might ask you guys :D)

Comments

• GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would say if by no escape you mean there are marines in the room. I would engage them, or at least distract and dodge them occupying as much of their time as possible. If I have managed to do any damage to them and just want to do some damage to some buildings as I dodge I would hit the extractor.

Assuming I don't have time to destroy anything, by hitting the extractor it means the marines can't heal AND weld at the same time so if reinforcements are coming the marines welding the extractor will go down easier.

But I would say entangling two or three marines in a game of chase the skulk, is more valuable to the team then a few bites on an extractor or an armory.

If I have time to do significant damage (based on positioning of known marines) to something, forward bases I hit the armory first (breaking their position is more important then breaking their economy, in the rear I hit the extractors (why is there an armory there in the first place?), in their main I hit their Arms Lab (especially early on in hopes they are researching something).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I will bite the room, if that's gone everyone loses :P
  • FreevoiFreevoi England Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21847Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would not bite anything as it is just an armory and extractor, there is no power node so they are un-powerd. So... i would spam chuckle till i kill myself of insanity :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2013
    Okay, by no escape I mean leaving is not an option and of course there is power :D

I just can't decide whether to bite armories or RTs first...

edit: Btw, Kouji wins anyway xD
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    If you bite the armory, your soul will turn into a ravenous newt.
    If you bite the extractor, you will lose the essence of your inner Self.
    But if you can bite all your foes at once without opening your mouth, the whole Universe will unfold before your eyes like an origami lotus blossom.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If I were a Skulk in this hopeless situation, I would probably just end up chasing my tail(s)
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I would bite the armory because it has a lot less HP than the extractor does. The assumption here is that they're quite close to you, so that extractor is not going down. With some decent dodging, or perhaps overly cautious marines, you m ight get that armory.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    More context please
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    I bite the armory too because of lower HP and to have a bigger impact on marine map control. They will build armorys on critical points they want to defend (edit: or attack from), and by destroying them, you can lower their resistance. An RT is no imidiate treat.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Geekavenger too much thinking, you're dead already.

I'd be thinking "why the hell am I still skulk", then searching the next dark corner / vent, get Gorge and bile the shit out of both.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I bite my lip and make a sexy face
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Everything's quiet ? No one knows you're there ? RT

They're aware of your position and/or will be quick to react ? Armory
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you mean what is more logical to destroy in game it depends:

Do you wanna hold this room for your commander to cyst in and build up? Destroy the armory 1st (attacking marines wont get free health and ammo).
    Do you wanna disrupt their economy? Kill the RT.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I just bite the cc
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Armoury helps marines in regaining and controlling a room, especially if the commander is bad or if the fighting is intense in the room.
    Resource tower is a key part of their economy and always useful.

Assuming that I have time to take out either one with equal certainty, I'd opt for eating RT in most cases.

However, I'd go for armoury if there is an imminent threat of marines regaining a strong position and marine comm is lazy with med/ammo spam. Say, the room in question is Elevator or Repair tech point in Tram and I'm expecting a marine counter-push & a big fight. The logic here is to hurt marines ability to regain and hold the room by assisting next friendly push before it actually happens. This way, I'm taking a risk and investing in greater returns later on.

(Assuming recycled armoury, you might actually do a bit more team resource damage by first going for armoury and then eating the RT, assuming you have time to eat both. However, in live situation I'd still go for RT first as it is a strong blow to marine economy even if I get killed mid-chomping.)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZoTSbMl.png

Got any more riddles? Enjoying this.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    elodea wrote: »
    ZoTSbMl.png

=> Recycle.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    elodea wrote: »
    ZoTSbMl.png

=> Recycle.
    The reason you can't escape is because there is a nanoshielded marine blocking the doorway with a flamethrower. The only way to escape is to bite the powernode so that a secret code in invisible ink is illuminated on the wall.

You enter the secret code into the computer, which opens a secret cupboard. Inside the cupboard you pick up a fade suit and vortex out of the room. All while the marine is blinded by the darkness and can't see anything, thus aiding your escape.

Thought it was obvious. Since they add so much to the game, everyone knows powernodes are thus the most important thing to destroy first. Please! :p
    Hey, I make up stuff here :D
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    I would practice my moonwalking and tap dancing technique until i hear rines coming. After that, i bite the dust.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, I make up stuff here :D
    Where is your onos mount then!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @elodea

Power nodes are only worth biting if it's combat mode.
    Sheesh, I thought everyone knew that!