Are you enjoying the game a it's state ?

Comments

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Not really no, I feel the game has been balanced around marines having a 10% accuracy and 6v6 comps for far too long and a lot of "fun" aspects are just missing that used to be present.
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    Gameplay is clutch. Both teams have a chance and a lot of options at their disposal.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Yes - post reinforcement the game is quite complete for me in terms of what it advertised/intended to be.

Could personally have liked some more AI units and RTS stuff but the design principles were quite clear on this not being the case so, occasional rage moment aside, PRETTY FING HAPPY!
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game is still fun, but what keeps me away atm are the people that play it.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Builds 250 and on made the game progressively not fun in my eyes, which is when sewlek started taking over balance issues with changes that only served the veteran community and made it even worse for new players.

So no, I don't enjoy the game in it's current state. 249 was the best build in terms of gameplay fun. Add in some additional content and performance improvements in current builds and 249 would have amazing.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes.

NS2 is still the most challenging and team-play oriented FPS I've found (except maybe NS1). PCWs with good teams are just awesome, but the game works for me even on publics (if you are really careful about the servers you frequent). Sure, there are minor issues but on the whole, I'm very much enjoying the game.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you don't have to tell what you dislike because we have a lot of threads for that

I see that sentence was pointless from the start :P

For me, yes. One of my friends who had a break from April/May and started playing again a few days ago says that the game is much more enjoyable now, so clearly the changes haven't been all that bad.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    No.
    Enjoy this montage of building stuff then failing to kill stuff. B181 is the text if you can't read it.

Around this era was when i had the most fun with NS2. It was before exo and onos. The game had a lot more atmosphere to it, less mess.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Heliport played terribly, but the memories! oh the memories.. i love it :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    No.
    Enjoy this montage of building stuff then failing to kill stuff. B181 is the text if you can't read it.

Around this era was when i had the most fun with NS2. It was before exo and onos. The game had a lot more atmosphere to it, less mess.

That skulk sound was pretty cool!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    JCD wrote: »

I can't understand you. The NS2 community is one of the best communities I know.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This^

Go check out LoL, Dota, L4D or any other community that I know of. NS2 community, for the most part, is a diamond shineing through the cesspool of other communities I have been a part of.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited October 2013
    The game itself is fun, the available servers are not. Either you need to spend a lot of time queue into hbz/yo or play the complete shit of 24servers.

All in all, I dont play more than 1game a day and only then if there is slot on a decent server or combat for this reason
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    JCD wrote: »

I can't understand you. The NS2 community is one of the best communities I know.

I'm not saying that the hole community sucks.
    Just every time I decide to play I get into teams that seem to be really brainless, and that's the reason why I posted it. :P
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I enjoyed it in 228, I still enjoy it to this day.
    NS2 is my top1 game ever played, and even this week I had a few matches so awesome, I had to take a break afterwards, because any more awesomeness could kill me. I've invested slightly more than 1000 hours in NS2, 850 in TF2 and 600 in Tribes Ascend, I still play T:A and TF, but I never double click their icons on desktop thinking 'oh boy this is going to be awesome' anymore, more like 'I remember I enjoyed these as well, let's see why'.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    The game is getting really close being a back and forth advantagefest based on res timings, and I think with alot of the current beta test changes it comes even closer. What I love about where it's at now is how much room for meaningful improvement there is. It's become better and better since 250, and I expect the trend will continue.

ie: bandaids being removed <3
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Since the introduction of the strafe hump, I don't. I log in, get pissed off, log out. Was not like that before.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Since the introduction of the strafe hump, I don't. I log in, get pissed off, log out. Was not like that before.

Why not use this as an opportunity to improve your teamwork? If you know you aren't going to kill a single marine on your own, run with another player and take them on 2v1. That would also help with taking down RTs and other structures, as trying to solo them takes far too long as a Skulk.

I mean really, quitting the game because you can no longer beat people 1v1 (in a team based game) is silly. Alien play is so much better when the whole team actually works together. But sadly there are too many people that run around on their own being unproductive.

Saying that, isn't the latest patch reducing the distance/speed of the strafe jump? That will probably solve the problem for most people.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »

The strafe jump boost is going to be removed next patch. But you're still going to miss all your bites and log out.

Hopefully Sewleks experimental collision code is improved and implemented asap. That'll make the biggest difference in basic skulk vs marine game play.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    See, I don't want to be that guy but... You say it's in a good place, then you say one of the best matches you ever played lasted 55-60 minutes. Now I'm getting the razor out to attempt to kill myself by the 25 minute mark, so saying it's in a good place frustrates me. I just can't even value that as an opinion, which makes no logical sense, so that's pretty bad.
    Well I'm with NeoQuaker on this one, I find the longer games the most rewarding because you have the time and incentive to develop a cohesive team on the fly with pub players, and (if the majority of players are semi competent) long games imply a bunch of well balanced pitched battles and at least one or two 'game changing' strategic victories. The wins are so much more satisfying when you know the game is well balanced, but win or lose these games are still the best because when its that close *everyone* on the team knows they made a difference.

As for the current state of the game, I have to say that probably 70% of the best matches I have ever played have been in the last two months (all pubs). Whether that reflects my current skill level or the state of the game or the people I play with, I'm not sure - but I'm happier with the game than ever been and just want to play more!!

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The game lasting longer DOESN'T make it more balanced, it just means that (imo) marines in pub are too strong to be overcome by anything but an all in alien rush, and marines are too cowardly to actually end the game, preferring to wait until they've had full tech for at least 20 minutes before braving up.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    The game lasting longer DOESN'T make it more balanced, it just means that (imo) marines in pub are too strong to be overcome by anything but an all in alien rush, and marines are too cowardly to actually end the game, preferring to wait until they've had full tech for at least 20 minutes before braving up.

+1

But those very few long games where both teams are pushing back and forth and actively trading bases (as opposed to just trying to break a turtle) are quite fun :D

[EDIT] Oh and yes, I'm still enjoying it. But as other people have mentioned, when you have ~1,500 hours under your belt it's hard for things to not start feeling stale.
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    No. The game is gorgeous but performance (input lag, frame-rate, loading times) isn't good enough unfortunately. Secondly, I want NS1 movement back.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    Not at the moment.
    There's only about 6 teams to play against, the rest is just meh. The tactics required for high level play don't really diverse because game is balanced for pub nubs and 12v12 fun games. There is no real wish to improve once you reach certain level of play. Game gets more and more simplified making gameplay pretty boring as you can't show up your personal skills or things that you have trained; the community just blames them up as abuse or they change the next week just because brattwurst.
    Developers don't really care about the cheating issue, been reporting them for 1-2 years about the dll injection and ways that can be done to prevent it; graphical hacks and how to deal with them as well as the macro issues in the game that give players advantage over others. One could rise to prem div megaplayer by just downloading few things and tweaking graphics a little and nobody would never know.
    The performance issues make the game really frustrating, you'll never know if the game really works. For example you donate 1 dollar and your game just starts crashing because of it. This prevents inviting your friends to play the game as it might just not work for them.
    Mostly now i just play because ns1 was so good game and the persons still playing are fun to play with. Hoping for change :
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "There's only about 6 teams to play against, the rest is just meh"

^^ I don't quite get this logic, if you were in the top 7 teams in CS:GO, you would encounter the same problem ... percentiles are, you know, relative.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes. I keep telling myself after a crap game (pub stomp), that I won't play this anymore. But I keep coming back. And after a really good game, I realize there is no other game on the market like it for multiplayer. I only play on pubs as I don't have the time or commitment to go competitive or play PUGs (time constraints). But find when you get into a good game or have a group of regulars, it is very enjoyable. The rush when the team strategy works is still there. As mentioned, as they patch and fix up little things it gets better. I actually really like the last 2 patches that only made small changes to balance, and concentrated on optimization and polish. I think the pickup/drop weapon system still needs improving (auto pickup welder and have it as well as the switch axe would be good - as sometimes I drop my SG and pick up a lmg instead of the welder on the ground). So a separate pickup and drop key would be really welcome as well.

Keep up the good work on the patchs UWE. I would be happy if the next series of patches is only on optimization and polish (even if the patchs take longer to be released).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yes. 1100+ hours and counting. I'm not always fond of all the changes, but they do keep things interesting.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I dont remember if we really had +60min games on pub in the late ns1 era, but just within these few weeks theres been countless games at least ive seen, sure they are due to bad play but it beats those streamroll marine rounds where aliens loose all their rts in the first minute.

With improvements to the engine it'll start to be flopsides to one team quite fast but we're not exactly there yet, seems all the pubheros are playing on their gamecubes :D
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    See, I don't want to be that guy but... You say it's in a good place, then you say one of the best matches you ever played lasted 55-60 minutes. Now I'm getting the razor out to attempt to kill myself by the 25 minute mark, so saying it's in a good place frustrates me. I just can't even value that as an opinion, which makes no logical sense, so that's pretty bad.

Personally, I love long matches that last 30-60 mins. If you prefer sub-25 min matches, fine. Most matches don't go over 30 min I think, so that's good for you.