Alien Commander Guide NS2

DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This Guide is UPDATED on the WIKI for latest patch here: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Alien_Commander_Guide

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    nutrient doesn't speed research, or give growth. spore does pure health dmg. forward drifter placement lets you enzyme spontaneous pushed. res flow is mostimportant thing early game. late game Rt hits don't matter much unless you can kill the higher tech. when playing, I only ever use celerity on lerks, skulks preleap and maybe onos. adren is vastly more useful for skulks, gorges and fades... and with lerks its a tossup with spore.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Nutrient I will recheck, I may be mixing up balance test or something. Same for spores. :)

Drifter use with pushes is already covered. And overfocus on merely res provides blind spots.
    You would be surprised how much different players use different setups with adren and celer. But as this is a general guide for all options I would not discuss use of adren/celer in this topic.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    edited May 2013
    Xeno is a skulks low grade self destruct.
    Umbra for a lerk blocks 50% (less in balance test) of all bullets on targets in the cloud & lessens visibility.
    Stomp for a onos stuns any marine on the ground.
    You forgot to mention that nobody cares about Vortex. :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited May 2013
    woops.
    hehehe, yeh mistakes sometimes slip in from time to time.
    With all the balance mod changes, old ns1 and live builds. So feel free to correct lil stuff like this. :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While a good tutorial, the 'wall-o-text' format is a bit offputting. If you don't want to go full video tutorial, may I suggest a series of picture infographics.
    I do not want to do that on a forum post. However, I did put them both on the wiki yesterday. That allows for a much easier formatting.

Ill edit some more room in the post though for easier reading. I do think the wiki reads better at the moment and I edit both at the same time if it needs to. :)
    (excluding perhaps pictures, but I shall see what I can do)
  • SarummaySarummay Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184610Members
    amoral said:
    nutrient doesn't speed research, or give growth. spore does pure health dmg. forward drifter placement lets you enzyme spontaneous pushed. res flow is mostimportant thing early game. late game Rt hits don't matter much unless you can kill the higher tech. when playing, I only ever use celerity on lerks, skulks preleap and maybe onos. adren is vastly more useful for skulks, gorges and fades... and with lerks its a tossup with spore.
    Nutrient does speed up build time (if you mean maturity you are probably right)

@Op might want to add, that umbra does not work on flamers and grenade launchers, be more specific about vortex (makes players undamagabel but they can't do damage and can disable structures, like obs and phase gates for a short time) and that crag healing is limited at 3 crags for one player/structure at a time
    True.. I should.
    I will do so tomorrow i think. :)
    Sarummay wrote: »
    amoral said:<br />
    nutrient doesn't speed research, or give growth. spore does pure health dmg. forward drifter placement lets you enzyme spontaneous pushed. res flow is mostimportant thing early game. late game Rt hits don't matter much unless you can kill the higher tech. when playing, I only ever use celerity on lerks, skulks preleap and maybe onos. adren is vastly more useful for skulks, gorges and fades... and with lerks its a tossup with spore.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Nutrient does speed up build time (if you mean maturity you are probably right)<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    @Op might want to add, that umbra does not work on flamers and grenade launchers, be more specific about vortex (makes players undamagabel but they can't do damage and can disable structures, like obs and phase gates for a short time) and that crag healing is limited at 3 crags for one player/structure at a time

I meant exactly what I said, it doesn't speed up research.
    yup. I was wrong. To much stuff to remember.
    I already fixed that. :)

Serves me right for doing it by memory instead of loading up the game. hehe
    better than me, learned by yelling
    also.mention that jump brings you directly to the player calls, also.might want to mention player calls are not the same as taunts... had one game where I was super confused for a but, greenie kept requesting a mist
    I didnt include player calls?
    Hahahaha.. So much small stuff getting through. I may aswell check if I put it in the marine guide also. :p
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thank you very much DC_Darkling, I ask and you deliver. You have my many thanks on writing this guide. Still very basic and general, but some things I didn't know or didn't consider as important as you did. Now I'm just waiting on the advanced tutorials ^_^. Regardless of whether it is a wall of text or info-pics I'll still read them anyways so keep at and thanks a bunch.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Oh yeah, and you forgot to correct the spore changes amoral stated earlier. Spores do not damage armour, only health :)

I didnt completely forget, I just had no chance yet to test the spores.
    And since Im maintaining the guide, its best I test right?

I will edit it later since more people said so. :)

Yes.. the guides are ment for most basic, amusing you know the interface itself. I may update it in the future with advanced tactics, but thats usually a heavy topic of opinion and many variables so uhm.. not basic.
    I may do pictures sometime on the wiki as its easier then. haven't completely desided how to do the advanced part yet.
    That makes sense I suppose. Testing it yourself is the best way to find out although it may be tricky lol. I've never looked at a single marine by himself and said, I think I'll spore him, and late game lerks tend to be support so there will be other aliens there all wanting to eat you. Let me know how easy or hard it was to find out, I might find it funny ^_^.
    chasing after lerks is fatal because they'llkill you in 5 ticks regardless of.armor. how they stay relevant on a3
    confirmed the lerk spores on health only a while ago but forgot to update the guide.
    This is now corrected.
    add that bile also damages marine armor. and not health, and that the bait ball doesn't do anything without babblers. the number of times people have tried to bile or bait me to death, let me tell you. also, bile is the only appropriate response to more than 4-5 arcs. if you try to bite them, you'll probably lose the hive anyway.
    This needs updating my friend ;) The game has changed a wee bit since this was written correct lol?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nailo wrote: »
    This needs updating my friend ;) The game has changed a wee bit since this was written correct lol?

Correct. I suggest watching ISEs vids, though.
    I know I know. TIME.
    playing ns2 is just sooo more nice then writing the guide.

I did, not entirely but largely, update the marine comm guide. And I will infact update aliens 'soon'. (The wiki already reflects it).
    When I do I will selfdestruct the opening post so only the wiki link remains, simply because I can use pictures on the wiki. YES I have plans.

Soon. But really, soon. :)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm doing a super collab video with 3 others to make a small volume of Commander Videos, It's gonna be a huge project, but It's gonnnnaaa be great ;3! Script writing started last night ;D!
    Good luck. Its a wiki so make a new page. I have links on the bottom of my guides linking to more info. Always room for more links.
    Atm I plan to rewrite part in weekend if time allows.
    Guide is updated and linked only on the wiki page due to more heavy use of pcitures.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited October 2013
    Step 1... Remove alien commander
    Step 2... Enable gorge building
    Step 3... Have fun

But in reality alien comm is way simple, which is nice because after a bit of drinking my reflexes start to slow...