Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Jim, what are the chances of putting in an HMG, removing or nerfing the flamer, giving fades acid rocket, adding devour, and buffing jps to ns1 values?
  • SnipoSnipo Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28234Members, Constellation
    omg update hurts, was on woody's server and had 30second lag spikes non stop!
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Not the server, its CO as I played on a CO server in Tx and its lags also, Played a NS2 server in the same data center as mine-20man no lag
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    JimWest wrote: »
    Well if there are no errors in console but it lags like Hell now,
    UWE has finally destroyed their "so much modable" feature.

We can't make performance better, in the last builds (<249),
    it had better perormance than normal NS2.

@UWE I think you won't read it, but if you do, have you ever wondered why nearly nobody
    is making mods for your Game? It's cause it nearly brakes every damn update.
    Your code should be like a framework, never change function visability or names after you
    created an update, only change the behavior of the function. This would prevent breaking hooked mods.

• denpodenpo Join Date: 2007-11-22 Member: 62994Members
    Snipo wrote: »
    i hope the next ns2 build fixes performance issues, otherwise combat servers will have to stay at 12 users max! server is lagging bad at 13 right now, used to run 22 users fine before :( does anyone else miss 249? :)

Hell yes, 250 was when NS2 hit the shark, haven't started it once since.
    That was a real pleasure playing with you Snipo.

I wish Combat could keep a frozen version of the game (249?) and evolve from that.
    Until they break it for good (for me), every updates were meaning another two or three days without playing.

I've played NS1 for many years, mostly CO, and bought NS2 way before it was released.
    I'm kinda sad the Combat mod is so overlooked by UWE, look like they forgot who was keeping NS1 alive years after regular servers went empty. The RTS part is cool, but what Combat mod offers is still a truly original game experience you can't get anywhere else.
    So sad...

-Anger Management-
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    JimWest wrote: »
    Well if there are no errors in console but it lags like Hell now,
    UWE has finally destroyed their "so much modable" feature.

We can't make performance better, in the last builds (<249),
    it had better perormance than normal NS2.

@UWE I think you won't read it, but if you do, have you ever wondered why nearly nobody
    is making mods for your Game? It's cause it nearly brakes every damn update.
    Your code should be like a framework, never change function visability or names after you
    created an update, only change the behavior of the function. This would prevent breaking hooked mods.

Such a shame this even affects combat after all the hard work you lot do to prevent it, just know most of us appreciate the work you do to maintain a mod under these conditions, you'd think uwe would be ashamed of their mod support by now and have done something!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, i don't really think its all UWE's fault.. Using hooks and replaces you are still interacting directly with their gamecode, and not surprisingly things do have a need to change when making bug fixes, performance tweaks and/or adding new features. We dont really have an API of sorts to work with, nor would that be really feasible for most mods.

After trying out both methods I do think that for things where you drastically alter gameplay (even combat would fit that category IMO), its best to start replacing files outright. That also gives you the option to include all files that your mod needs, even if unmodded. Then when the base NS2 files update it wont effect you, so long as they dont change some underlying SDK features (which has been pretty rare).

I will admit it can be frustrating when stuff breaks on updates, but I guess such is the nature of NS2 modding.
  • Steve123MCSteve123MC Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155408Members
    denpo wrote: »
    I wish Combat could keep a frozen version of the game (249?) and evolve from that.
    Until they break it for good (for me), every updates were meaning another two or three days without playing.

I've played NS1 for many years, mostly CO, and bought NS2 way before it was released.
    I'm kinda sad the Combat mod is so overlooked by UWE, look like they forgot who was keeping NS1 alive years after regular servers went empty. The RTS part is cool, but what Combat mod offers is still a truly original game experience you can't get anywhere else.
    So sad...

-Anger Management-

I absolutely agree with you denpo. It's been years since I last played ns1 and like you said, the only truly active scene for ns1 near its end was combat servers with buymenu and buildmenu. After years of playing ns1 the only thing that kept me around was the fun I had playing on those servers.

I think UWE has made a huge mistake not supporting combat as a alternative style of gameplay, when some of the most popular first person shooter games today are instant gratification with a low learning curve. Anyone familiar with the Gun Games for CS:S would agree that combat is just another fun way to play the same game.

I absolutely think Combat should be part of NS2 development at UWE and should be pushed as a alternative gaming experience to those who do not want to throw themselves into the deep end of the pool with vanilla NS2. Or like myself and others who do not want to go through the headaches of teamwork that is crucial and required in Vanilla NS2 to enjoy the game and have fun.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    All I can say is that it runs fine on my pc when testing offline. I can't see anything that might cause the red plug issues. Does anyone know if it's something specific causing them?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was looking into this a bit, found something that might be interesting.. it seems that the use of Server.SendCommand targeted at a player sends them a 256 byte network message.. Not sure if that is something that changed recently in NS2 but you use that for sending XP (i believe), does the red plug issue happen to get worse when your shooting something that triggers alot of XP gain events (like a hive)?
    @JimWest i will email charlie he replys normally!
    we can almost deal with the lag if no one joins/parts full server runs better than half empty one!

PLEASE jim bring devour back, as an onos there is nothing i can do against a JP with high ceilings unless he comes down enough times for me to hit him, why we need Devour.. WITH A TIMER!
    60-90sec devour timer and faster ingestion please! onos needs SOMETHING against jp's. specially if they have a flamethrower.
    any eta on a update? where you bring devour back and double jump/shadow step? tired of getting my ass kicked as alien. :( i like this mod. i wish more people cared enough to post, i like this mod, but its going away........
    Combat being one of the most popular mods really needs some improvements now and then, it's great you guys continue to keep it running despite uwe making it difficult but please give it some more love, i know build menu was planned a long time ago as its in xenoswarm, i still hope we will get it sometime, even if all you do is just one final content update, build menu would be enough.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    What the fuck did you guys do with this mod? Follow every single nerf to aliens to the t and then swap the timers around? Going for the ole NS1 marines never leave spawn in 40 minutes feel for the game again? A level 5 onos that can't even charge and has dick for HP and armour, what the fuck am I playing, how did this go from the premier custom mod to the worst NS2 experience I've ever played? Holy Christ 10/10 would absolutely kill off any interest in a popular mod ever again.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Jim, you Nerfed the Picture!!!!!

Really sad to see you give up on NS2 modding Jim, but looking forward to exploring your other adventures in the future :D
    awesome pic jim! dont give up on the mod please :) xao be nice!
    @Crapo

I'm trying, 30ish rounds into this version of combat:

1) Marines sit in spawn all game long, marines win, every single US server.
    2) Teams are remotely even but marines eventually death ball to hive and win.

I wasn't aware JW and co gave up on combat, it's painfully obvious, goodnight sweet co_prince.

@JimWest

You just McFucked up m8.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    @Xao

I believe Greeds is still doing a bit of updating here and there, but essentially I don't think you'll see much change in Combat from now on.

Also, your critiscm is pretty harsh. At what level do you think their hard work on this mod for well over a year is worth your abuse?

How much did YOU pay JW and Greeds to develop this game? That's, not a penny. So to be so abusive to people who have spent their free time for the last 18 months making this game for you, shows up what an inconsiderate person you are.

If they were paid to do this, and you were paying them to do this, your attitude would still be disrespectful, but understandable. However, they do this for the love, and your attitude shows not only your disrespect, but your lack of consideration and humanity.

You do know developers are still people? They've put up with so much shit from players over the 18 months, I know JW has had to bite his tongue a lot of times during that period, as he is a passionate man. Now he is not working on the mod, your response got what it deserved.

Go and learn to be a nice human being, and you may just get treated with some respect, carry on being an douchebag, and you will continue to receive the appropriate responses.

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    People actually listen to Xao? I was sure he was just the pet troll we keep under the bridge for a good laugh every once in awhile :>

Besides, who needs combat, @Soul_Rider 's "Proving grounds" look much more promising
    Who needs combat? Everyone!! Losing one good mod, and it's great mod team, is always a sad thing. We need more modders and more mods, not less.
    shame to see you go JimWest. thanks for all the updates, sorry for any headaches we might of caused! also fuck Xao.
    edited October 2013
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Xao

I believe Greeds is still doing a bit of updating here and there, but essentially I don't think you'll see much change in Combat from now on.

Also, your critiscm is pretty harsh. At what level do you think their hard work on this mod for well over a year is worth your abuse?

How much did YOU pay JW and Greeds to develop this game? That's, not a penny. So to be so abusive to people who have spent their free time for the last 18 months making this game for you, shows up what an inconsiderate person you are.

If they were paid to do this, and you were paying them to do this, your attitude would still be disrespectful, but understandable. However, they do this for the love, and your attitude shows not only your disrespect, but your lack of consideration and humanity.

You do know developers are still people? They've put up with so much shit from players over the 18 months, I know JW has had to bite his tongue a lot of times during that period, as he is a passionate man. Now he is not working on the mod, your response got what it deserved.

Go and learn to be a nice human being, and you may just get treated with some respect, carry on being an douchebag, and you will continue to receive the appropriate responses.

You do realise in that image he posted to me of Ronald McDonald he forget to put 'Mc' before "Fuck you", hence my reply of "You McFucked Up".

And the part where I said combat was the premier mod?

dictionary.com says 1. First in status or importance;

So I said it was the best mod NS2 had going...balanced into total arse in terms of game play...later said I didn't realise combat was now unsupported...thanks for the rant tho m8.

edit: And thanks to Jwest, Jibrail, Greeds and that roman symbol dude and anyone else I missed for their work on this mod, it was good while it lasted.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited October 2013
    @Xao support haven't stopped completely, Jim stopped about a week ago Greeds and a couple of great community members have been fixing latest releases specially after it breaks after every ns2 release, I on the other hand have stopped working on balance a while back I'd say around the reinforced update ( maybe a bit earlier than that actually ) at the time we had a pretty good balance based on the stats I was always following on and even releasing here every now and then so since I stopped I went back to check on stats and they are royally screwed.
    We should release more info on Monday on what is going on.
    Jibrail wrote: »
    @Xao support haven't stopped completely, Jim stopped about a week ago Greeds and a couple of great community members have been fixing latest releases specially after it breaks after every ns2 release, I on the other hand have stopped working on balance a while back I'd say around the reinforced update ( maybe a bit earlier than that actually ) at the time we had a pretty good balance based on the stats I was always following on and even releasing here every now and then so since I stopped I went back to check on stats and they are royally screwed.
    We should release more info on Monday on what is going on.

Well that's shit, combat was 50% of my reason for keeping NS2 installed, I was kind of hoping it'd go the way of NS1 and get officially recognised and supported.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Hopefully it will keep on running post future updates. This mod has always ran pretty well, if only the workshop worked just as well we could stop having servers killed by mod problems on map changes :(

With luck others will pickup this project and add some new stuff too.
  • AchillesAchilles Join Date: 2013-04-20 Member: 184907Members
    Just got kicked from [GER] Sadists playground by G-Portal.de .... for no reason at all. I guess I must be getting THAT GOOD?

Really sad, was having a great game with some players who were doing better than me, but kicked for no reason and not allowed back on. Lol, THANKS COMBAT MODE! AWESOME!