Pro players - Competitive play Vs Pub Play

Comments

• SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    As much as I would like to be optimistic, I guess I have finally lost hope for ns2.

Don't you go and fucking retire on us! As much as every competitive minded NS1'er wants to wake up from this nightmare and forget this game ever happened, you must endure. Stay strong!
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    All leagues in every game have rises and falls in teams/player counts and while we are in a dip right now I am sure the more this game improves players and teams will slowly keep trickling in. Don't give up!
  • KingKahunaKingKahuna Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63944Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SammyG wrote: »
    All leagues in every game have rises and falls in teams/player counts and while we are in a dip right now I am sure the more this game improves players and teams will slowly keep trickling in. Don't give up!

I don't think they are referring to the league.
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    The scene really hasn't grown or shrunk. NS, in general, has always had a small selective comp community. This NSL season actually yielded a good number of teams compared to the last one afaik.

Just from counting the teams from season 2 and 3 on ensl, we went from 78 teams in season 2 down to 51 in season 3.

A drop of 27 teams. Not factoring in any teams that may have dropped mid-season.

As much as I would like to be optimistic, I guess I have finally lost hope for ns2.
    KingKahuna wrote: »

Oh rly?
  • KingKahunaKingKahuna Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63944Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The scene really hasn't grown or shrunk. NS, in general, has always had a small selective comp community. This NSL season actually yielded a good number of teams compared to the last one afaik.

Just from counting the teams from season 2 and 3 on ensl, we went from 78 teams in season 2 down to 51 in season 3.

A drop of 27 teams. Not factoring in any teams that may have dropped mid-season.

KingKahuna wrote: »

Oh rly?

Yeah, really. If you go back and get the whole context you'll see.
    My post is aimed at the comments quoted. Not at what was posted before it.
    edited October 2013
    I'm a National League fan myself. I can't get behind the American League with their designated hitter rule.

And, I promise not to ever give up. So, no worries.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    The Alabama Assburgers thank you for your service
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    It seems like competitive players are just not allowed to play on public servers. I joined (UK Teamplay I think it was), along with 1 friend of mine. We both joined the same team and waited for teams to get a commander.
    Next thing we know we're asked to split teams due to -stacking-, when the games haven't even started. We refuse and end up getting banned.

Moral of the story, you're not allowed to play with friends when you're presumably good at the game.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    edited October 2013
    tenderloin wrote: »
    It seems like competitive players are just not allowed to play on public servers. I joined (UK Teamplay I think it was), along with 1 friend of mine. We both joined the same team and waited for teams to get a commander.
    Next thing we know we're asked to split teams due to -stacking-, when the games haven't even started. We refuse and end up getting banned.

Moral of the story, you're not allowed to play with friends when you're presumably good at the game.

Why do you think so many players smurf?
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    tenderloin wrote: »

Why do you think so many players smurf?
    We weren't even using our original names.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Moral of the story:

If you are good at video games, don't expect to ever play with friends outside of scrims.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Moral of the story:

When you be blatant fuckheads for months on end people stop giving you chances and start wondering why they ever took shit from people on their private servers.

Ya know, just to throw out the counter opinion and all. I especially like that the first response was to smurf and it didn't work anyway because they were already smurfing, I wonder how they possibly knew who it was before the round even started, there's definitely no way Tenderloin and 1 friend have ever stacked before...
    Xao wrote: »
    Moral of the story:

When you be blatant fuckheads for months on end people stop giving you chances and start wondering why they ever took shit from people on their private servers.

Ya know, just to throw out the counter opinion and all. I especially like that the first response was to smurf and it didn't work anyway because they were already smurfing, I wonder how they possibly knew who it was before the round even started, there's definitely no way Tenderloin and 1 friend have ever stacked before...

When you play all tagged with your original name, some people who pay attention to the competitive scene might recognize you instantly, that's fine as long as they don't randomly start talking smack for absolute no reason. We're playing public for the same reason you are, atleast I am.

It doesn't even matter what we're doing, 1 guy fields and 1 commands, both go Gorge at the start of the game, doesn't matter. We're always accused of stacking and ruining the game for everyone because we decide to play together and have some fun, regardless if we try or not.

I don't know how some people know who we are when we're already playing under a different name and I don't really care. We shouldn't need to take shit from players when our sole purpose is to have fun and we've done nothing. If people randomly start talking shit to me for no apparant reason I'll be reasonable at first, but if it continues when we haven't done anything but casually play, I'll answer in the same tone.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I've never heard of anyone complaining about 2 competitive players playing on opposite teams before and I've done and heard a lot of complaining on NS2. I find it hard to believe that 2 random players randomly aliasing join a random server and are randomly asked to split up or leave the server but get randomly banned, none of these events lead up to you or your 1 friend looking like innocent players in the game of stacks, where you stack or you die.
    I'm sure that was not the last time, it'll eventually happen again.

I'll be sure to SS/Record that just to prove a point.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squirreli_ wrote: »
    These days everything is a stack. It is the go-to excuse for everything from the position of the moon to the banking crisis. I've heard people complaining about stacked teams after an even 40 minute round. Just last night, we had many veterans on a server and got a really nice and even split, and it was called a stack right-away. Nobody couldn't decide which way was supposed to be stacked, but apparently one of the community's newer members knew right-away! ;)

Ever heard the story about "The boy who cried wolf"? The new version is called "The noob who called stack". Available at your local servers right now!

It's so true it's unfunny.

We've been splitting up as much as possible even when just mucking about so that at least we know there's SOMEONE on the other team who is marginally competent - good for practice. Then you get people calling 'hax' constantly after every death instead. Still, I don't mind ruining THOSE people's day if all they do is spam the server. Even their teammates usually want them to STFU. :)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    Pub Logic; Rule #23: Typically, if team A beats team B, team A is obviously stacked.
    Regardless, I am curious why this thread is still active. I guess I am only posting for the comical responses but ehhh.

The horse died on page one but I will beat it a few more times.
    Untill matchmaking gets added in a few months, there are only a small number of things you can do. My advice would be: go become a regular on a good well-admined server. You will enjoy the game quite a bit. I find myself frequently playing on TG servers now. Most of the regulars there automaticaly counter-stack me and there are often very fun games.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find myself frequently playing on TG servers now. Most of the regulars there automaticaly counter-stack me and there are often very fun games.

Yeah, most Div 3/4 competitive players are not too far above the skill level of TG's regular players (some of them are comp players) so that kind of helps when the Div 1 and Premier players drop by. Anyone who demonstrates respect for their fellow player regardless of skill and communicates is a welcome addition to the community. A sentiment not too many public servers seem to hold lately.
  • SideWinder85SideWinder85 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177187Members
    Xao wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone complaining about 2 competitive players playing on opposite teams before and I've done and heard a lot of complaining on NS2. I find it hard to believe that 2 random players randomly aliasing join a random server and are randomly asked to split up or leave the server but get randomly banned, none of these events lead up to you or your 1 friend looking like innocent players in the game of stacks, where you stack or you die.

Xao reasoning is if some one is better than him on a server that need to die a horrible death irl expecially when they can solo his fade. He complains about everything that dosnt go his way i have joined games with 3 clan members 2 on one side 1 on the other and he still calls stacked. Best way to deal with Xao as with any person you cant reason with because of their own stupidity "DONT FEED THE TROLL".

On a more serious note most of the time i have found the pub players them selves that are not reconised in a clan in the average/ above average skill level also follow the elite players around. When they listen to the good players and push as a team together those good players use the pubers as meat sheilds get out the mop and bucket its all over to your pub game 10 to 1 kdr easy mode.
  • OverdrivePedalOverdrivePedal Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189331Members
    Hey, a very new player here. First post. (I know,.. just wanted to check what veterans are talking about)

I am kind of a hardcore fps player, I still play classics like Q3 arena or newer fast paced fps games. But I'm no way a lonewolf as playstyle, especially when I know I'm in a "tactical" game.
    I have started to this game with a call from a friend, who has 3 other friends with him. All beginners. At first everything seemed fine and smooth as I started to get the hang of it.
    We always enter rookie friendly servers as it's only been less than a week now, trying to avoid annoying pro players with our noobish-ness. But as I said I have kind of a strong fps backround and my reflexes, aiming, movement and stuff like "always listening the steps", covering potential hiding spots and grounds, detecting movement in more "detalied" enviroment is on a good level.
    So as I've said I'm a new player and I had this green color on my name, so people would know I was a newbie. But so that I had some fps skills I was having a nice game, dying very few times, sticking to my team mates. Sometimes having 2x, 3x kill rows... I was avoiding facing aliens if I'm alone till I get enough space to kite&shoot them, or just run to my team mates if the ground I'm holding -alone- isn't crucial, or asked by the commander.

They blamed me for aimbotting. Thinking a green player could not play a decent-ish game on a rookie server even when acting as part of the team&tactics. I got very upset and left, so my friends left with me then one guy chased me to my steam (same name) and also accused us stacking&cheating.

That happened on my 3rd f...ing day in Ns2.

The moral of the story, sometimes, no matter what, s..t happens. It's more about the people you're facing than you, I guess. Unless you're really there to annoy some.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Pubbers wont let you play with friends.. its sad but true.
    If you get more than 3:1 k/d ratio youre obviously a hacker as well.

Its retarded but an unavoidable consequense of having a small playerbase combined with no matchmaking and releasing the game when most companies would've looked at the product and stated "ok lets enter the beta phase".

In all honesty, even if they are working on fixes for all of the issues, they wont get them out in time before theres only a handful of players left.

If you want to play a quality game look elsewhere.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I got very upset and left, so my friends left with me then one guy chased me to my steam (same name) and also accused us stacking&cheating.

I don't get it?

You're a seasoned fps gamer, someone accuses you of aimbotting and you get upset?
  • OverdrivePedalOverdrivePedal Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189331Members
    That was a long story short which is still a long post.
    A longer cut would include arguments about me suggesting recording mygame in spectate mode, explaining this is still an fps game that an fps player can shine, we trying to explain how we stick together, other people talking about how our commander&upgrades are well/up so we can kill faster, some blaming the admin for not banning (either the flamers and/or us), some talking about how they (blamers) didn't even have a clue about how aimbots would look like. To the point where noone really cared the game and arguments taking the whole room, blames for "stacking" etc too.

Seasoned player doesn't always mean seasoned pub/pug player. Generally you apply to some kind of community/clan after a while or form one yourself, and play with them vs other clans w/e you call them. Even if it would mean so, that kind of treatment would still win world speed record, for me at least. More paranoid playerbase? Don't know, you tell me.
    That was what I wanted to point out in the post. It wasn't about me or what I did, it was about the other one(s) just being a d..k .
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There have 2 recent sales, so there is a flood of brand new players in pub servers right now. Lots of people getting the game a. don't have a group of friends to play with b. strong FPS experience for good aim c. strong enough systems to run the game well enough to play well. Given the circumstances I can see how your situation happened as many people are very sensitive to team stacking even after one of the variety of random/team sorting mechanics and mods available some people will just never be happy.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    EDIT nevermind, can't get image to work on this forum.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That was a long story short which is still a long post.
    A longer cut would include arguments about me suggesting recording mygame in spectate mode, explaining this is still an fps game that an fps player can shine, we trying to explain how we stick together, other people talking about how our commander&upgrades are well/up so we can kill faster, some blaming the admin for not banning (either the flamers and/or us), some talking about how they (blamers) didn't even have a clue about how aimbots would look like. To the point where noone really cared the game and arguments taking the whole room, blames for "stacking" etc too.

Seasoned player doesn't always mean seasoned pub/pug player. Generally you apply to some kind of community/clan after a while or form one yourself, and play with them vs other clans w/e you call them. Even if it would mean so, that kind of treatment would still win world speed record, for me at least. More paranoid playerbase? Don't know, you tell me.
    That was what I wanted to point out in the post. It wasn't about me or what I did, it was about the other one(s) just being a d..k .

I think he meant that, as a seasoned fps player, your first response to a haccusation in a new game is 'Yeah, baby, must be getting better.' Before long it gets tiresome and the reaction is either to completely ignore it, respond with 'rolf' or to troll the haccuser in some way.
    Offering for people to record your game and generally engaging with people calling 'hax' is usually pointless. There are very, very few occasions when someone calling out 'hax' isn't a cretin of some type (assuming no hacker, tbh I haven't seen one in NS2 myself yet in >750h).