Lag when players go near each other

DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi All,

Trying out a dedicated server and when players go near each other, they experience lag.

I've done prolonged speed tests and the server upload never goes under 50mb and download is 200mb+.

Windows firewall is off, so my best guess is that this is being caused by a hardware NAT.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Can anyone confirm NAT causes these issues?

Comments

• KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited October 2013
    This effect has been around since the alpha.
    File under: net code.
    Also the main culprit as to why late game combat with lots of players kills servers
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Game was designed for 1on1? but pushed to 6vs6 haha
    Server is propably checking the collision calculations just like the ones in the clogs so if 12 players go gorge you have 120 clogs easy then 36 hydras and 20 tunnels later plus infestation trust me when i say it will lag
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What are the specs of the computer running the dedicated server?
    dePARA wrote: »
    You have problems on your 32 slot server? Thats strange
    Quake 3 from 1999 even had 32 slots, maby he thought technology would advance after buying his copy of ns2 a decade later?

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well wasn't he silly to think that.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RadimaX wrote: »
    dePARA wrote: »
    You have problems on your 32 slot server? Thats strange
    Quake 3 from 1999 even had 32 slots, maby he thought technology would advance after buying his copy of ns2 a decade later?

Pretty sure Quake 2 supported 32 players in 1997 too.
    yeah it propably did, pretty sure ns2 had 32 player limit in the options before, then when implementing all balance changes and new content ticrates would go down to 1 and people had fps issues that was was "fixed" by limiting more players than before instead of acctually deal with the problem. they want to sweep it under the rug but the lag is always there, maby not 100% visible as on lager servers but mildly there with us...always
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited October 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »

Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3 @ 3.9GHz, plenty of ram, should be able to handle 24 players.

Did a port test and a lot of ports are blocked, no software firewall enabled. Host blames Windows Server 2008, i personally think the host provder has their firewall settngs too high, installing windows 7 to entertain them.

And depara, keep your hate to yourself.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    yeah it propably did, pretty sure ns2 had 32 player limit in the options before, then when implementing all balance changes and new content ticrates would go down to 1 and people had fps issues that was was "fixed" by limiting more players than before instead of acctually deal with the problem. they want to sweep it under the rug but the lag is always there, maby not 100% visible as on lager servers but mildly there with us...always
    Maybe the problem is very hard to fix, and rather than have dozens of people trying to make 32-man servers complaining at them constantly, they'd limit the numbers to something manageable while they figure out how to sort it? Dont be so neggggg mannn
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    ScardyBob wrote: »

Intel Xeon E3-1270 v3 @ 3.9GHz, plenty of ram, should be able to handle 24 players.

Then try 24 players.
    You run a server over the official limit and cry about server issues?

Some "admins" never learn it.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    whats the tickrate?
    Also im sure the server needs to work more if folk are closer to check if they are within range, hit each other etc.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since I have been around, 32 man was never an option unless you made certain modifications.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    You have to hack the executable in order to make a 32 player server for good reasons.
    and..
    ::facepalm::
    I'm no engine developer, so i could be wrong on this BUT..
    I'm sure your point was just the playercount from a consumer POV, but you do realize the reasons, right?
    I mean even if you made a Q3 mod that was somehow able to do everything NS2 does (and it wouldn't lol) it would more than likely have had the same issues. Sure it would be less because of no LUA, but Entity counts are entity counts, whether its a moving crag or a railgun player - both report their positions and actions to the server and therefore network traffic to all. Then there's the complex game logic from rts elements.
    If you counted every single thing processed in a lategame NS2 32 man server, i highly highly doubt it would be something that q3 idtech engine could support.
    Likewise, if all NS2 had to process server wise were players and nothing else, it would be far snappier/responsive/high performance.

edited October 2013
    @ depara, It was running a 24 man assumption making pleb.

Not complaining either, just asking a question. Server was lagging between players with only 2 people in.

I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, will try again later.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    You have to hack the executable in order to make a 32 player server for good reasons.
    and..
    I'm sure your point was just the playercount from a consumer POV, but you do realize the reasons, right?
    I mean even if you made a Q3 mod that was somehow able to do everything NS2 does (and it wouldn't lol) it would more than likely have had the same issues. Sure it would be less because of no LUA, but Entity counts are entity counts, whether its a moving crag or a railgun player - both report their positions and actions to the server and therefore network traffic to all. Then there's the complex game logic from rts elements.
    If you counted every single thing processed in a lategame NS2 32 man server, i highly highly doubt it would be something that q3 idtech engine could support.
    Likewise, if all NS2 had to process server wise were players and nothing else, it would be far snappier/responsive/high performance.

While I would also like to defend UWE, I'm pretty sure it's just bad net code. I doubt there is any priority system for traffic.
    Could everything ns2 requires in a multiplayer game be handled by the latest unreal engine?
    Yes, of course.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any processes restricting traffic on redundant update data, and that is treated with equal priority as say player combat data, late game this becomes more of an issue, especially with more players actively viewing/participating in group combat.

It's fun to defend and expect only the best of the developers of the game you are currently maining, but sometimes, things aren't quite so great. Net code has been an issue for years. It needs to be revisited. It won't be though, there hasn't been even acknowledgement.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »

I'm pretty sure if you coded in C (or c++) (appropinatly), it would be siginificantly faster. But obviously you'd have to change the engine anyway to support whatever you need. And employing modern techologies such as making use of multiple cores, it would run even better.
    And changing the way you do things, can yield massive improvments. You can go very far with optimization, especially algorithmic optimization (O(n) vs O(n**2) for example - speed linar to input length, like count of players/entities, vs speed quadratic to input length.)

But anyway at the end of the day, NS2 isn't up par to the industry standards of what people expect - the reasons might matter for people with insight, but as I said at end, the impression left (or the practical limit) is what counts. And that one is: NS2 still runs rather poorly (although admittingly it improved a LOT since the beta)
    edited October 2013
    Installed Windows 7, everything running smooth now :)

Thanks for all the constructive replies!
    "while they figure out how to sort it?" been a year now youd think they would figure something out, or as more content gets added to the game limit gets reduced? when discovery map is out max players would be 18 just incase.

also the guy saying: Since I have been around, 32 man was never an option unless you made certain modifications.
    i got the game in december last year and now that i think about it 32 slots was in the actual options of hosing a dedicatd server back then but not for really long.
    - new experimental code for player vs. player collision

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130391092

looks like its going to be fixed in next patch so good thing there was a post or else it would be left out for another year!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Spark as an engine has been around for probably 10 years. We were first exposed to it in 2006, but it had been worked on for many years before that. It would be ridiculous to compare this engine to anything professional out there now. Sure it has some cool modern features, but the core of the engine was written a long time ago. No amount of updates and improvments to the engine can gloss over the fact it was never originally designed to be doing what it is currently doing.

When you look at it from that perspective, it is an amazing engine doing an amazing job, but it cannot be compared to one of the more recent engines.
    edited October 2013
    - new experimental code for player vs. player collision

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130391092

looks like its going to be fixed in next patch so good thing there was a post or else it would be left out for another year!

Looks like the noobs moaning about Marines being able to evade skulks won.

- reduced marine dodge jump effectiveness by 50%

And the fade is going back to being completely over powered again, nice.

- increased fade swipe damage to 81 damage (up from 75)
    - reduced shadow step cost to 9 (was 11)
    - swapped stab and vortex position in tech tree
    - reduced vortex energy cost to 10 (was 20)

Pathetic changes, can't wait for Marine vs Marine mod to finally be fixed.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Pathetic in your eyes, but many see it as great changes. The marine strafe jump was very bad for new players, it makes the game frustrating.
    Fades are not buffed that much, but are more viable again. They are not super useful right now and needed a small buff (its really not that big of a change).
    edited October 2013
    I've seen topics were the majority disagree with the people moaning about marines being able to bunny hop.

Bunny hopping has been around since the 90's / Quake days, absolutely nothing wrong with it, gives a lone marine a fighting chance against surviving a skulk attack.

Game becoming more like COD which is a shame, i'm just glad it's fully moddable.

The fades were over powered before Reinforced, then they fixed them, now they are going back to being over powered again.

Onus is already OP with its Bone Shield and not much to combat it, (i see the Heavy Rifle in the coding that can penetrate but this hasn't even made it into the game yet).
    Anyhoo, not the topic to talk about the balance changes, how does one lock a topic on this forum? lol
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I've seen topics were the majority disagree with the people moaning about marines being able to bunny hop.

Bunny hoping has been around since the 90's / Quake days, absolutely nothing wrong with it, gives a lone marine a fighting chance against surviving a skulk attack.

Game becoming more like COD which is a shame, i'm just glad it's fully moddable.

The fades were over powered before Reinforced, then they fixed them, now they are going back to being over powered again.

Onus is already OP with its Bone Shield and not much to combat it, (i see the Heavy Rifle in the coding that can penetrate but this hasn't even made it into the game yet).

There's no bunnyhop in NS2.

Spamming jump is not bunnyhop.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Indeed calling it bunnyhopping is wrong. It's a "let's ignore physics when duck-jumping and let's also ignore inertia" kinda jump.
    Marines are supposed to be worse in melee range...
    I'd like to see a public poll to see how many people want to reduce the marines ability to jump.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Anyhoo, not the topic to talk about the balance changes, how does one lock a topic on this forum? lol
    Like this
This discussion has been closed.