Another "another computer parts thread" thread

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
I'm upgrading my computer in the near future and I'm starting to get swotted up on the best choices.

One thing that has confused me is that that some sources are saying that the ivy bridge LGA1155 i5-3570K is a better choice than the much newer LGA1150 i5 4670K.

Further confusing me is that there seem to be very few choices for LGA1155 motherboards.

Bear in mind that I've been happily running with my i5-2500k overclocked to 4.3 GHz for years now, and I hope to do the same with the new one.

I'm looking at either a Radeon R9 280X or a GeForce GTX 770 for the video card.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, INTERWEBSPEOPLE?

--Scythe--

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    What do you have now any why are you thinking about upgrading?
    Going by the i5-2500k, you have a fairly recent or high spec PC.
    It should be fine to work with for a couple years.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Mostly because my wife's computer has gone to totallybrokentown and the old bits out of mine will be going into hers.

Also because DCS flightsimgame runs pretty poopily at the moment. Mostly because it's very poorly optimized.

--Scythe--
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scythe wrote: »
    Mostly because my wife's computer has gone to totallybrokentown and the old bits out of mine will be going into hers.

Also because DCS flightsimgame runs pretty poopily at the moment. Mostly because it's very poorly optimized.

--Scythe--
    Don't know the nature of flightsim games, but maybe its a situation where an i7 with more cores and a larger cache would be beneficial?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The 3570k will run ~10% faster than your 2500k and will run hotter. The 4670k will run about ~20% faster than your 2500k and will run hotter. Overclocking is tougher on these two cpu's compared to your 2500k. The reason people say the 3570k is the better choice is on price/performance. I have to say though, lga1150 motherboards are pretty cool. I would even try to pick up a cheap 2500k if you can find one.

A R9 280x is a rebranded 7970ghz edition. You can pick a 7970 up for cheaper. In the USA the lowest I saw was $230 on sale after rebate right now. The 770 is basically an overclocked 680, which you can also find for cheaper. Best bang for the buck out of those options would be the 7970 ghz edition.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    The 3570k will run ~10% faster than your 2500k and will run hotter. The reason people say the 3570k is the better choice is on price/performance.

I have to agree that the most value would be spent keeping your current CPU... and upgrading your GPU (although you haven't mentioned what your GPU is... and, thus, we are making the assumption that you are currently GPU limited).

If you have money to burn and value is of no concern, then I would say get the latest CPU, simply because it will run the fastest (though only marginally faster, it still, in the end, is faster). Note that the Haswell is a little more difficult to overclock as compared with the previous generations of "K" processors that you've mentioned (I run an i5-4670k @ 4.4Ghz air-cooled.).

Also, Nvidia cards have the LightBoost feature (though I have read it is now possible with AMD? Maybe someone else can confirm).
    ** http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

I have found running a 120Hz monitor with Lightboost/strobed to make a noticeable difference with tracking on NS2 because motion is much more fluid and smooth. Read this users comment on the difference between 60Hz vs 120Hz: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2161828/#Comment_2161828

In addition, Nvidia cards are a little smoother frame to frame, which can matter a bit more in a fast paced FPS such as NS2, as opposed to pure raw fps power.

** http://techreport.com/review/24051/geforce-versus-radeon-captured-on-high-speed-video

And Nvidia will be releasing G-Sync, with an attempt to make things even more smoother.
    ** http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness