Gaming for the one (and a half) handed

OneHandedPhr33kOneHandedPhr33k Phoenix, AZ Join Date: 2013-10-19 Member: 188765Members
Hey guys I'm new here, and had a question for you all. My situation: I was born with no digits on my left hand and only half a thumb, which hasn't ever been very computer game friendly, though works just fine with an xbox controller, and now my friend has introduced me to Natural Selection 2, which leaves me looking for mostly one-handed keyboard/mouse set-ups. I've been following many xbox controller alternative threads, and would've posted this there, but they're long since dead... anyways the majority made it clear that a console controller over a keyboard/mouse set-up is bound to keep you waiting to respawn more often then not, except for the very slight few who claimed to do moderately well on a 360 controller. So I have options either way, but none of them seem great, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any solutions to my issue? Or am I doomed to be always inferior to others on the battlefield? Anything helps guys, thanks!

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Just use a MMO mouse. Logitech G600. I only have wasd on keyboard. Or do what I used to do and use mouse and controller.controller in left hand mouse in right. Logitech gamepad works well because of the amount of customization of buttons and scripts you can make, as well as the mouse.
    http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse
    logitech-g600-mouse.jpg
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Get a Multikey mouse, bind shift,space,return,r etc on functionkeys of mouse and use left hand to press w. Should work for most games. A friend of mine plays bf3 with the g600 with just one hand. Ofc this needs some training.

Edit: Someone was faster .... ;)
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    maybe something like this is an option, for your left hand?
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Paajtor that's brilliant! I hope that will work for him!
  • OneHandedPhr33kOneHandedPhr33k Phoenix, AZ Join Date: 2013-10-19 Member: 188765Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    maybe something like this is an option, for your left hand?

That might just work! Almost exectly what I've been looking for even! I'm thinking maybe that plus an MMO mouse might be a great combo, maybe? Again guys, thank you all for your imput, everything helps!
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    http://www.xpadder.com/ If you like to use controllers?

Here's a guy who used xpadder to play an mmo and may give you some ideas on how to integrate it with NS2.. http://forums.riftgame.com/general-discussions/general-discussion/76783-guide-info-how-use-controller-playing-rift-less-hand-pain-playing.html

Alternatively, you can learn to use your mouse with your left hand (perhaps with some kind of "glove" or harness attached to the mouse, though this may be more custom work for you). You could use your right hand on the keys. Since the mouse hand typically requires less fingers to operate and is more about simply moving the mouse, this could provide you with similar levels of control compared to a typical user. Depending on your range of motion of your thumb, you may even be able to use your thumb to operate a button for attacking. If not, binding fire to a key to be used by your right hand in addition to movement is a plausible solution. If you are desperate for more inputs, maybe even floor pedals for some extra buttons (shooting or jumping most likely).

A well known competitive player, Gliss, uses an odd setup like this and he is very good. (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130174/the-weirdest-key-bindings-i-ve-ever-seen-nxzl-gliss/p1) I think that you could be as good as anyone else -- that's the beauty of video games -- but you'll have to develop creative solutions to make it work.

Some extra resources which may be handy to rebind things to suite your needs:
    http://www.hot-keyboard.com/download/
    http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/

Lots of resources on how to use those programs to do almost any rebinding your want.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    If you'd like I'd be happy to build you a foot mouse out of a sandal and an old optical mouse. Then you'd have your right hand free for keyboarding. Leaves your left hand free for... THE STRATEGIC COMMANDER!!

I'm actually not joking either, the foot mouse has been done and it works very well, you just need some clear floor space under your desk.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    0ni wrote: »
    If you'd like I'd be happy to build you a foot mouse out of a sandal and an old optical mouse. Then you'd have your right hand free for keyboarding. Leaves your left hand free for... THE STRATEGIC COMMANDER!!

I'm actually not joking either, the foot mouse has been done and it works very well, you just need some clear floor space under your desk.

Footmouse? Sersiously?

I gotta do some research...
    MULTITASKING!
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    You'd be surprised by the accuracy of the foot mouse.

Try turning your DPI crazy low, like 500-600. Put it on the floor on a large appropriate surface.
    Play some portal or something for a couple hours until you're used to it. Then go pwn some n00bs on a rookie server with your feet for a while. Before you know it you're going to be playing tier 1 in Germany making mad cash with your toes.

It helps if you're chinese.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Time to get a second keyboard :D
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    @OneHandedPhr33k
    My buddy uses a voice command program that allows the game to execute commands with your voice only. Saying "Medpack" will cause him in game to call for a medpack and this is only the start. He has tried crotch and other static, once time use commands and they work great. It might open a lot of doors for you. Once i get the name i will get a link where to get it. GlovePIE is what it is called and i think it is free!

Also he has found a lot of success in combining keys through macros. One clever one is "use" with "reload". If you are close to something you want to build or use, such as the armory or an unuilt structure it will build, but if you aim elsewhere it will reload. There are other combinations he uses. Here is the mouse we use. Affordable and VERY customizable Cool Master Inferno. The rapid fire key no longer works as well as it used too hehehe.