HMG concepts

Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
edited July 2013 in Modding
So I'm thinking of bringing back the HMG from NS1. I've got a few ideas but I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas or concept sketches. I've read some threads about bringing back the HMG and I'd like to see it happen. Game balance isn't really a concern at the moment, just feel like running around destroying stuff with a big machine gun. If I get it done I'll release it and hope to see it some mods. Let me know what you guys think

Edit: Moved the thread to modding. Seems more appropriate here

Comments

• Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First off:
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    Game balance isn't really a concern at the moment, just feel like running around destroying stuff with a big machine gun.

gl trying to find a server (or people) that will play aliens with this...

But secondly, Sewlek is already trying to reintroduce it in the beta test mod.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i think that sticking closely to the ns1 style would be best, its sort of a smart gun look.

personally i think the HMG all it needs is a 2x clip size over the rifle, or perhaps even having it fire duel like 2 rifles, left for 1 and right for the other. so you can put out 2x the firepower of 1 rifle.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    A lot of work to do this. Are you planning to do the entire package? Model, textures, animations? I'd like to see it happen. Need a beefier animation rigged weapon models in mods like NS2:C and Sewleks current beta test.

You can get pretty creative with it. Some inspiration.
    16799.jpg
    crysis_2_portable_heavy_machine_gun_by_scarlighter-d4tr1sg.jpg
    816_killzone-2-m224-a1-lmg.jpg
    M24h_heavy_machine_gun_by_toraiinxamikaze-d367nvr.png

• Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    Awesome pics. I'll through together a rough HMG model in the next few days and see what you guys think

I am planning on doing the animation and coding as well for the weapon. I recently modeled/animated two new sentry types, and I'm in the process of implementing them into the game. As for textures, well I suck at photoshop.

I agree that a HMG has no place in the balanced vanilla version, but this is just for fun....for now. I've been throwing an idea around for a while now where the marines can only build one command station, but can build special tech buildings on tech points to gain access to higher tech tiers. With multiple choices of structures to build on the tech points for each tier, there would be different tech paths a commander could choose. For instance to be able to access the base exo, the marines would have to control at least 3 tech points and have built the proper research structures and finished the research, making the exo much harder to get. With cheaper production and faster spawn and build times; as well as no hive limit, this gives the aliens beginning game advantage. Marines and aliens would be pretty even mid game, and marines would have the advantage during the end game (if they survive that long). So a HMG (and possibly the heavy armor from NS1?) would be like a 2nd tier weapon and allow the marines to survive the disadvantage of everything costing more and building slower, and only one spawn point.

Obviously both the marines and aliens would have to be restructured, but I think that if done right, the core NS2 game style would still be there, just with more...everything

edited July 2013
    OK, so here are some rough (and I mean ROUGH) renders of the machine gun. It is in NO WAY finished or even near finished. It's also more of a medium machine gun, like a 240 GULF as opposed to a HMG like the M2 .50 cal. Let me know what you guys think and PLEASE GIVE ME IDEAS!

Here's a comparison between the vanilla AR/LMG and the MMG:
    edited July 2013
    looks good, i think it belnds in with the ns2 style, i do prefer the style of the ns1 hmg but this design coincides well with the LMG of ns2, main issue the handle grip looks like it would need alternate player animations to hold it?
    I liked the twin barrels from the old NS1 HMG. My HMG/MMG is far from done, so it might end up looking slightly more like the old one or having 2 barrels. If you have any ideas, sketch them out and let me see. There are so many different ways I could go with it. I was thinking of putting a handle on the top and doing something different for the scope/ammo counter. Also I will have to re-do the player view animations. No biggy, but the world view animations I hear is another story entirely.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    For me the most awesome part from the original HMG was and shall always be that centered ammobox reload animation. It simply was the iconic weapon of NS. IMHO your design needs something like that to set it apart from the LMG, right now it looks way too similar to the LMG.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like the idea that the HMG is such a heavy mofo that you need some sort of support to distribute it's weight
    eg. Movie: Aliens - Smart Gun
  • militaerkidmilitaerkid Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58249Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    aren't the poor Onos enough punished with the nerf and the new Exo's :v?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    edited August 2013
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been working to find a work around for the animation graphs of new turrets I made. Right now it seems in order to export and reference animations in Spark, you have to be using the COLLADA plugin released by UnkownWorlds, which only works with 3Ds MAX 2009. Unfortunately I'm using a newer version of 3Ds max and OpenCOLLADA doesn't seems to export frame tags, so there is no way to reference the animations. If anyone knows a solution, please let me know. I'll try and post a few pics of the updated HMG in the next couple of days.
    edited August 2013
    Looks boss. I hope you complete this!
    Don't see much of an ammo box on it though.

edit: Wait, that's a latch on the top for the box underneath right? Nice, nice.
    OK, here's the final product. I could tweak this thing forever, so I'm going to go ahead and call this done. I made the mag (the squarish thing in the middle) a little bigger and added the handle with a site through it. Not sure when I'll get around to animating/scripting it though.

As always, feedback it greatly appreciated!
    now that is just perfect
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    edited October 2013
    sweet model anti_boson, but it looks like a grenade launcher lol

as for hmg in ns2, already possible through the "classic" mod (that nobody plays)

5Fynd.jpg
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @Anti_Boson Any updates on this? I'd love to add it to MvM. Putting this in would let me change the Exo's minigun to something else.