The Monday Papers - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I've played a few organized 6v6s, each ended with egglock/iplock after a few minutes, there were always those guys with aimbot-like aim, good PC, no strategy needed.

Mystery solved.
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    joshhh wrote: »
    I've played a few organized 6v6s, each ended with egglock/iplock after a few minutes, there were always those guys with aimbot-like aim, good PC, no strategy needed.

Mystery solved.

What mystery? I wasn't even using my experience as an argument. Matching up 2 teams on same level is still a thing, even after Archaea "left" unbeaten (I not entirely sure about that, though), in many matches encounters matter the most and build openings are generic (on that teams are not to blame of course, it's a balance/meta thing). Worst of it all, you can often point out the "turning point" of them early. These guys get it.
    Some matchmaking magic would be nice.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The one area we can agree is that matchmaking would massively benefit the game. That is the crucial point.

What comp level play brings to the table is a lot more than you give it credit for, though. Behind even some of the most straight forward looking wins are tactics, tailored to the map, the opposition, the state of the current game, the makeup of the 6 players you currently have, and within each of those categories are many other factors too.
    Even low down in div3, we are working carefully and with calculation to achieve each win, and while if might not look like it from the outside (indeed I hope it doesn't), there are often changes of tactics within each match.
    Something that would help convey this to viewers during casts would be access to the teams' mumble/ts/vent, played in at opportune moments, but that is quite a technical and production challenge.
    When I say comp level should be the norm, I'm referring to the tactical, fluid and dynamic teamwork that is required. If that were realistically achievable in a pub setting (we need you, matchmaking!), that would truly be awesome.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Virsoul wrote: »
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Does this give us extra clogs to use in game? Or are these points that go towards winning a trip to the final?

Oh my, could you imagine being able to use 250 clogs in a game? Thank would be something!

You were correct in your second question.

hahah yeah that's what I was hoping for :P
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    well I think it has potential, yes I do.
    And some of you really overestimate skill needed for starting devision 3.
    Or if thats to high for you, throw us @ taw a message.

Last I saw take guests on our community matches, /shameless advertisement, and always like more to join. Its less harsh then competitive play but still more organised then public.
    (and if someone else from taw says well.. something else thats probably correct cause my memory blows) hehe
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RedDog wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @hub3rtu2 2 words:Air France

For those of you that missed this, skip to 4:35:

<3 the Lerk ball
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @mouse it's even better now of course, 5 lerks biting the comm chair... :D
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @mouse it's even better now of course, 5 lerks biting the comm chair... :D

I don't think there's too much good footage of it, but my clan runs with shade and a 4 lerk ball as our default alien strat. It's fun :D

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Update on topic, Destructoid writes about the tournament: http://www.destructoid.com/natural-selection-2-community-to-start-a-tournament-263630.phtml

'If you are looking for a heartwarming story, you can look no further.'
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver