Natural Selection 2 Build 258 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played 3 or 4 rounds without a crash on Linux/OpenGL. Great job so far! Though FPS isn't smooth on higher settings, it stutters a lot for me. Medium textures, reflections and shadows on and everything else off == quite smooth. If I won't experience any nasty crashes tomorrow I'll start complaining about that next ;]
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Marine Jump not fixed? Boooo!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    rkfg wrote: »
    Played 3 or 4 rounds without a crash on Linux/OpenGL. Great job so far! Though FPS isn't smooth on higher settings, it stutters a lot for me. Medium textures, reflections and shadows on and everything else off == quite smooth. If I won't experience any nasty crashes tomorrow I'll start complaining about that next ;]
    You will get shutters first game when it loads some things still

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    Did they really not tone down the marine jumping? The only people defending that change are the people that play nothing but marines. It's so obviously unbalanced.

I don't believe it could go unfixed, i have to see it myself in game.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    Is r_stats still broken in that it doesn't report correctly whether it's the CPU or GPU that's the bottleneck?
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    Huzzah! More aliens nerfs! Just what we needed! God forbid whips, the khammander, and horribly overpriced drifters be useful. Well done, You managed to make me hate playing aliens even more.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Best thing about this patch is the fixed dev textures B-)
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    How about infinite jp fuel or jumpo-pogo-jedi rines? Im rly dissapointed ...
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "No jump fix.. UWE you fail hard yet wonder why this game is dying. "

Wow - the number of times that has been said, but we are still here. I must be playing a thrice dead corpse by now ... oh wait, I see new players every day. Interesting.

How about: Attack off the walls, don't attack in wide open areas. So what if marines have a phase in that room, they have to leave the room to advance at all ... guess what they leave through - that's right, a doorway/corridor.

Aliens still win more so maybe jumping isn't so broken?
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Maybe isnt broken but is ***** annoying and non friendly for new players. Deal with it.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

I am past rage, because I don't play much anymore, just checking from time to time to see where the game is going. I am now fully enjoying the detached apathy of not caring too much ;-)

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Inb4 rage that strafe jump wasn't nerfed. B-)

I am passed rage

Fixed, god damn it I hate this misspelling more than any other in the English language.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Ghosthree3

two many has been loose were we try to correct peoples' ideas. Dont worry thought, Its fine :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Gina_RinehartGina_Rinehart Join Date: 2013-08-31 Member: 187363Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Crispix wrote: »
    Already found a nasty bug. If server is full, all sounds get louder and louder including music.

Yep, I came here to report this issue but it seems you already have.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    Damn. Still no fix for the server queue issue where it always try to connect even when no free slot is available. :(
    We have no reports of this? PM me details if u can please.

Happens a lot actually... slot is free, someone else is faster then you, the other guy gets in and you get the no free slots message. Unless he is talking about something else.
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Did they really not tone down the marine jumping? The only people defending that change are the people that play nothing but marines. It's so obviously unbalanced.

I don't believe it could go unfixed, i have to see it myself in game.

The only people wanting that change are floor skulks (aka bad alien only players).
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Omega_K2 wrote: »
    The only people wanting that change are floor skulks (aka bad alien only players).

Oh shit! I'm a bad alien only floor skulk! ;)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suspect Devs are not aware of marine jump. Watch their playtests. There marines are not jumping around in a frency rather well behaved on the ground like down to earth human looking. Imagine WW2 and soldiers only move around jumping. :)
    Also no wonder about Alien nerfs then
    What I wanted to say: GJ with patch 258. Performance updates always sweet.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Great work UWE, we need patches like this best patch since Luajit :). Good work!
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    reeql wrote: »
    Maybe isnt broken but is ***** annoying and non friendly for new players. Deal with it.

Yeah, pretty much this. Marine jumping was always part of the game, but it's just way too much in it's current state. I don't even know why it was buffed. Where people complaining the marine movement was too restrictive or something? The majority of Marines don't even do it. I usually run into 2-3 marines that do it on a packed pub. It's a very small group of experienced and veteran players that exploit it to gain an advantage over their opponent. Hell, I even do it myself when playing Marines.

If you guys think strafe jumping is ok the way it is, answer this. Why is there even a slow down when backpedaling (holding S)when you're a marine? Now when you strafe jump in circles, what does that avoid? You're avoiding the slow backpedal speed to cover distance a lot quicker and dodge much easier. This is either an exploit to bypass a gameplay mechanic or a very redundant and dumb mechanic. Possibly both.
  • oniconic R'lyeh Join Date: 2013-10-15 Member: 188705Members
    Will they ever improve the Bots? My internet sucks and i want to play with my buddies (LAN).
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Marine jumping was always part of the game, but it's just way too much in it's current state. I don't even know why it was buffed. Where people complaining the marine movement was too restrictive or something? The majority of Marines don't even do it. I usually run into 2-3 marines that do it on a packed pub. It's a very small group of experienced and veteran players that exploit it to gain an advantage over their opponent. Hell, I even do it myself when playing Marines.

^ This! The few marines that are using it, I encounter during play, are annoying but beatable. The problem is not that it is overpowered. The problem is, that this mechanic is some elitist crap that widens the gap between the very good and mediocre players. Something we need the least in NS2.

I like how the battle between skulk and marine is now more fair and skill-dependent. But it shouldn't come at the cost of a big part of the community.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited October 2013
    Fixed bug where the Linux client would not work properly if the locale was not en_US
    aaah, finally && thanks for that.

as for the rest of the patch: Nice bugfixing! Awesome patch!

But I still have that weird orange/brownish rectangle around my mouse cursor when in the (main) menu.
  • NeverSummerNeverSummer Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186965Members
    So is DX11 faster than 9 now?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No one yet commented on awesome fix to fabrication cyst bug?
    Thanks for these UWE. Alien vision/sight getting any love soon?
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Squirreli_ wrote: »
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

Oh shit! I'm a bad alien only floor skulk! ;)

And just to clarify: The quick marine side-to-side movement and jumping, when combined to lag compensation, gives the marine a bit too strong advantage. The skulk is in serious trouble if it collides with anything and loses momentum or pretty much does any mistake. Thus, I like the marine jump mechanic but feel that it gives a bit too strong an edge a bit too easily. For me, it is not gamebreaking and I do not wish marine jumping to be removed. Just a slight tuning pass at some point.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I haven't played myself yet, but from what I see in comments section, this patch didn't brake anything or introduced questionable features. Which is awesome, can't wait to get back home.
  • VicentoVicento Join Date: 2007-04-21 Member: 60683Members
    The only thing i was looking for this update is to fix this stupid marine jump......and all we get if a new nerf for alines....

I'm sure now, UWE only want to make marine player happy.

FIX THIS F**** BUNNY JUMP !!!!