Skybox rambling and discussion

xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited October 2013 in Artwork Forum
To spark a bit of discussion about skyboxes, the map docking for example looks amazing on the inside, very clean. But it's on a very industrialized layout, a very polluted, very dirty atmosphere, it's almost saddening at what a horrible place that industrialized world has become. I do not exactly understand, or can really make sense of a back story for the map, the pipes under the landing pad running through these blazing infernos of towers does not describe itself to me, someone who lives in the past. Docking has an airport like interior but who would want to visit such a horrible place, is every person who was in the docking concept art a worker there?

On a more judge mental note, the skybox is actually pretty bad quality, probably the worst of all the maps. (Maybe it's all the red not agreeing to compression?) The main goal of this topic is to bring a bit a discussion about the skyboxes, as they may have a lot of work put into them, they are what sets the graphical bar in a lot of cases, as their stretched image resolution never fools anyone when looking at a distance landscape, they almost always look 2d unless detailed right.

I messed around a bit in photoshop out of boredom because I love to experiment with creativity, and I got nothing better to do tonight, so I threw together just an edit to one of the docking skybox sides just to see what a small difference to the atmosphere can make to the appearance of the whole map. It could have been cleaned up a bit more but it's 5:30 AM and I'm tired.

Stock
HEkhSbg.jpg

My edit
5DWvQap.jpg

What would your take be on the skyboxes in NS2 being replaced with less artwork style, but more high resolution and realistic looking sky boxes?

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think you are lacking an introduction.

He's talking about Docking.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    I think you are lacking an introduction.

He's talking about Docking.

I'm just bringing up discussion of Skyboxes in general, docking is just one of the more interesting ones that stands out to me because it's not all pretty and ambient like you see on Decent and Summit, it's instead a large industrial polluted wasteland ran by a corrupt government. Skyboxes tell a lot about a game, NS2 has some good looking ones but they lack quality, compression value and resolution for the most part.

I see what you mean, when writing the post originally I unintentionally hit the back button on my mouse and lost track of what I was typing, correcting.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    While I do like the second one a lot more, I've seen worse skyboxes in games. New games at that. Definitely not the best skybox. It's just nowhere near as good as Descent's. That's one of the most gorgeous looking skyboxes I've ever seen. Too bad there aren't more windows on Descent.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    While I do like the second one a lot more, I've seen worse skyboxes in games. New games at that. Definitely not the best skybox. It's just nowhere near as good as Descent's. That's one of the most gorgeous looking skyboxes I've ever seen. Too bad there aren't more windows on Descent.

Decent looks amazing, it was probably the first map I've played on NS2, it looks almost like a StarCraft 2 skybox was ripped and put into it. I'd like to see more maps like it, better yet the skyboxes someone relating to each other. Imagine if there was a blue shaded map with a land perspective of the ring from the Decent map, to add some kind of connection between maps.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think there shouldn't be any fire coming out of the smoke stacks in docking... because it never moves! lol