Unofficial NS2 Player Survey

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    251 took the survey, only 139 use an operating system :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    As said in the OP, there are 122 empty votes from the previous iteration of that survey that didn't get reset in this old iteration of Google Docs. It only skews the percentages, not the totals.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited October 2013
    Some interesting results. Lerk is everyone's favorite and the community is deeply split on Biodome :D

edit:
    My name is It's Super Effective, and I approve of this survey. But it's timing is very suspect, like it may be skewed because of the current discontent of recent events. Just saying.

My name is F0rdPrefect, and I approve of this quote B-) :D

Oh, and this one:
    I had a dream last night I went on holiday to mars with Carl Sagan
    edited October 2013
    Wow, the newer version of Google Docs for those forms surely has some improvements that would have been handy for this survey. (Like being able to set the minimum and maximum number of things to pick from a list, or to define that a text field only accepts numeric values, generally easier management, the ability to delete previous responses, responses being stored in a separate table outside of the form, etc.)

At least I know that now for future surveys.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ezekal. I did not say that it was a bad thing.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow

My name is It's Super Effective, and I approve of this survey. But it's timing is very suspect, like it may be skewed because of the current discontent of recent events. Just saying.

I think it's the best moment to make this kind of survey. Specially when people are preoccupied about the future of ns2, and were the next updates will be focused on. ( new content or focus in the real problems that the game has)
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    The survey is good and collects some pertinent data. UWE should look at the results too :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SeeVee wrote: »
    The survey is good and collects some pertinent data. UWE should look at the results too :)

Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?
    No, it's @Hugh !

:D
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited October 2013
    ezekel wrote: »
    sotanaht wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    lol -

dXHfrxL.png

Why was there no BALANCE option?

I voted for matchmaking, but then you tacked on all that other shit that doesn't affect pubs to the same option. I'm not really convinced matchmaking is an effective or viable solution though, and what I really want is BALANCE. New content sets balance back to ground zero so if I could vote AGAINST new lifeforms/maps/weapons etc I would. Performance has been acceptable if not really very good on my 3 year old machine so I am indifferent there.

Speaking of balance, I ended up answering the individual mechanics balance question based on how good each mechanic felt to use and play against. I find that a vast majority of alien abilities feel like they need buffs, while it is mostly marine options that feel like they need to be nerfed. However on the whole I understand that the alien team is generally stronger than the marine team, so obviously going through with those individual changes would lead to a massively unbalanced game.

Balance is always being worked on, doesn't need to be an option

edit: However, you won't see any 'massive' changes like 250 again AS FAR AS I KNOW

I disagree with that statment. I don't feel like balance changes are a "given". I also don't really consider major game changes like 250 to fall into the category of balance. Either way I want the focus to be on balance, generally in the forms of frequent, minor tweaks with occasional overhauls of a single ability or weapon at a time. Given the choice between having them focus their attention on this sort of balance tweeking or performance tweeking, I would DEFINITELY prefer balance. Also, given the choice of having new weapons and lifeforms and NOT having new weapons and lifeforms added (with no additional strings), I would actually vote AGAINST those options on fear that they would drastically upset any balance progress being made.

With the options the survey actually offered, performance was a natural "default" choice. New weapons and lifeforms may be undesirable. Single player content isn't what most people want. "organized play" has it's supporters but if you aren't strictly in that group you have nothing to lose by selecting performance.

Balance VS performance is something that affects everyone, and seeing the communities preference just between those two options would be useful data.

Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?
    No, it's @Hugh !

Hugh will just walk in here and give you a lecture about statistics. :p
    CrushaK wrote: »

Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?
    No, it's @Hugh !

Hugh will just walk in here and give you a lecture about statistics. :p

Yay!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is really cool @Crushak. I'll tweet it out today - I'd recommend hiding the existing results for a while, you are likely to get quite a few more responses.
    No statistics lecture? I am disappoint.

• RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just to let you know; that's interesting. (~60% NS1 D:)

"Lerks should have Primal Scream instead of Enzyme on the Drifter." o.O ?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, the Mac version would likely bring in some new players, it's understandable that this community is not as interested as we play the game on PCs.

On the other hand, people that DO use a Mac should probably be punished.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    This survey was an awesome idea. We should have such surveys every few patches or a while after each really major patch.
  • |DFA| Havoc|DFA| Havoc Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68375Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sotanaht wrote: »
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    lol -

dXHfrxL.png

Why was there no BALANCE option?

I voted for matchmaking, but then you tacked on all that other shit that doesn't affect pubs to the same option. I'm not really convinced matchmaking is an effective or viable solution though, and what I really want is BALANCE. New content sets balance back to ground zero so if I could vote AGAINST new lifeforms/maps/weapons etc I would. Performance has been acceptable if not really very good on my 3 year old machine so I am indifferent there.

Speaking of balance, I ended up answering the individual mechanics balance question based on how good each mechanic felt to use and play against. I find that a vast majority of alien abilities feel like they need buffs, while it is mostly marine options that feel like they need to be nerfed. However on the whole I understand that the alien team is generally stronger than the marine team, so obviously going through with those individual changes would lead to a massively unbalanced game.

Completely agree with this.
    RedSword wrote: »
    Just to let you know; that's interesting. (~60% NS1 D:)

"Lerks should have Primal Scream instead of Enzyme on the Drifter." o.O ?

I put that in there because it was actually available on the Lerk in one of the last iterations of the Beta Test mod.

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Yeah, the Mac version would likely bring in some new players, it's understandable that this community is not as interested as we play the game on PCs.

On the other hand, people that DO use a Mac should probably be punished.

Well, there is that :D
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    woot my map is mentioned in your survey <3
  • JavertJavert Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15954Members
    217 responses thus far - not a single Asian player, though.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    217 responses thus far - not a single Asian player, though.

Incorrect.

Unless you mean a player from Asia.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Who's the one guy that said summit was terrible?
    shriike wrote: »

Witchhunt!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer

probably mendasp
    edited October 2013

A 21-26 years old male US Central player who got the game during alpha, doesn't like competitive games, claims to have over 2500 hours of playtime, Lerk as his favorite lifeform and voted "terrible" on every map except Tram, which got an "awesome" from him. And he also said that the game and the people who play it suck. In other words: a troll. ;)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Narfwak wrote: »

probably mendasp
    Pls. Do not spread lies. Summit is perfect and we must hunt down this heretic that has no taste in maps.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    Balance is always being worked on, doesn't need to be an option

edit: However, you won't see any 'massive' changes like 250 again AS FAR AS I KNOW

Plz remove performance, game is always being optimized as well as new map as I hear one is in progress.