State of Development: September 2013 - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scriptable_game_engines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lua-scripted_video_games

It would be foolish of them to throw away even part of the work they've put into the engine after all these years. It's theirs to use, no licensing fees, and they're all already familiar with developing it. It's only the armchair developers on the forums who think that buying a professional engine will take all the hard work out of making a game that performs well.
    I could see them switching to something like Unity for future games due to its large cross-platform support.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hugh wrote: »
    Hehe - Just as a point of interest, NS2 cost ~$2.8 million to make. IF there ever was an NS3 you can bet the budget would probably at least match that, though over the past year UWE has become much more efficient and fast at 'making stuff.'

The moneyz, they burn!

I always wondered about the actual numbers... Thanks for this one.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    The ancient terratools / microsoft game Urban Assault might provide a good starting point for NS3.
    5663-3-urban-assault.jpg
    Btw: the left building, 3rd row, 2nd window from the left is where i live.

• Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only talking about 32bit crashes, what about the other problems which was released with Reinforced? 256/257 didnt fix it all.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    shonan wrote: »

It would be foolish of them to throw away even part of the work they've put into the engine after all these years. It's theirs to use, no licensing fees, and they're all already familiar with developing it. It's only the armchair developers on the forums who think that buying a professional engine will take all the hard work out of making a game that performs well.

Spark engine is written in C++, NS2 is written in Lua, you guys here keep mixing these two things.

Yes, and a great deal of work has gone into integrating the two. If they dropped Lua and just hard-coded their next game into C++ they would be throwing away one of the founding principles of their engine.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I'm hoping that their next game will be just as unique as NS2. NS2's FPS/RTS combo is pretty much the game idea where you say "duh, why haven't other people been making games like this?" after looking at it.

Personally, I think single player games are mostly dull derivatives, especially in recent times. Most of the interesting games to me have been multiplayer (such as DayZ, the Hidden, TF2, etc). Perhaps UWE could pull off a single player game if they had a good writer and a good yarn to spin.

Safe bet would be that UWE may work on another unique multiplayer game. Perhaps something like a first person arena shooter with wizards and spell casting (First Person Magicka, anyone?). Or maybe an interesting cooperative experience: you and a few friends work together as engineers to keep a starship functional (let's call this one Star Tech).
    Max wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I'm hoping that their next game will be just as unique as NS2. NS2's FPS/RTS combo is pretty much the game idea where you say "duh, why haven't other people been making games like this?" after looking at it.

Personally, I think single player games are mostly dull derivatives, especially in recent times. Most of the interesting games to me have been multiplayer (such as DayZ, the Hidden, TF2, etc). Perhaps UWE could pull off a single player game if they had a good writer and a good yarn to spin.

Safe bet would be that UWE may work on another unique multiplayer game. Perhaps something like a first person arena shooter with wizards and spell casting (First Person Magicka, anyone?). Or maybe an interesting cooperative experience: you and a few friends work together as engineers to keep a starship functional (let's call this one Star Tech).
    Have you considered the "Game Director" badge?

holyshitsholyshitholyshitangsanhb nljpgm.sdabnkgnksnbk
    Fundraiser for squishpoke's 8k anyone?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    shonan wrote: »

Spark engine is written in C++, NS2 is written in Lua, you guys here keep mixing these two things.

Yes, and a great deal of work has gone into integrating the two. If they dropped Lua and just hard-coded their next game into C++ they would be throwing away one of the founding principles of their engine.
    Not really, no..
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I do not know why people think that if the game was all in c++ it would not be moddable. Look at all the mods out in source for things like MM and SM and keep in mind that source is not LUA but C++. Shit pawn itself is basically little C.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I do not know why people think that if the game was all in c++ it would not be moddable. Look at all the mods out in source for things like MM and SM and keep in mind that source is not LUA but C++. Shit pawn itself is basically little C.

Modding on the fly afaik is much easier in lua, you could change maps and twenty things could have updated in the process

honestly if lua supported multi-threading properly it wouldn't be an issue
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    good to hear uwe is thinking about their next game, ns2 is what you call "feature complete", "just" code cleaning and bug fixing needed.(and sabot)
    with the awesome spark engine i guess the new game can be ready next summer if models, maps, props and sounds get done in time.
    and whatever game it is, it´ll run on unix and mac from day 1.
    im allready excited! ;)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »

I could see them switching to something like Unity for future games due to its large cross-platform support.

I would hope they do not. Spark seems to actually seem much more interesting from a design point of view than Unity.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I think they should rewrite in Matlab
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Instead of new game i would like to see some new big separate dlc for ns2. Dlc might contain new maps, implemented integration with environment (like weldable doors, elevators, brakable glass), maybe some personalization to fit gameplay style (non linear paths of evolution/upgrades, skins), new weapons or upgrades, some utilities (new key bindings, more friendly comms interface). I would buy it without even thinking, but the problem is that you cant add content or change game and want money from players to continue playing because of new content ... :(
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited October 2013
    I'd like to see UWE make a multiplayer Tower Defense game that also has a ranking system/leaderboards/matchmaking and where there are also other players on the other side controlling the AI NPC's, where they can also control an NPC and try to break through the defense.

I don't know why, but I'm really into tower defense games lately, but there are very few that have multiplayer and NONE that have players on the other side with the AI NPC's trying to break through the defense.