Hidden Mod

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It appears that both votekick and muting don't work with this mod. Would be great to get these things fixed.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    james888 wrote: »
    Really? I did not know, or even notice in the games I was playing last night. I played for about 2 hours and the server player count ranged from 3-12. I got my idea because it didn't seem to matter who was fade, the fade always won when against 4 or less marines.

I didn't think of health which is more linear and better in concept.

Yeah, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell until there are at least 5 marines. Right now the game is just way too easy for the fade, in general. He basically auto-wins as long as he doesn't do something stupid like charge head on into a group of marines.

I also don't think there should be any changes made to make the game end faster (like less ammo for shotguns, or the fade losing health over time). I honestly think more should be done to make games last longer/be scarier for the marines. My favorite part of being the fade is trying to make the marines panic and do stupid things so i can pick them off one by one over time.

ScardyBob wrote: »
    It appears that both votekick and muting don't work with this mod. Would be great to get these things fixed.

Yeah, some jerkoff was trolling your server pretty hard the other night and we couldn't do anything about it but try to ignore him. He'd just hide for 8 minutes every time he got fade and it ended up killing the server eventually, and he was playing some shitty rap music over voice comms the whole time. He would try to TK everyone when he was a marine, too. Can't remember his name though :/
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Really? I did not know, or even notice in the games I was playing last night. I played for about 2 hours and the server player count ranged from 3-12. I got my idea because it didn't seem to matter who was fade, the fade always won when against 4 or less marines.

I didn't think of health which is more linear and better in concept.

Yeah, they don't have a snowball's chance in hell until there are at least 5 marines. Right now the game is just way too easy for the fade, in general. He basically auto-wins as long as he doesn't do something stupid like charge head on into a group of marines.

I also don't think there should be any changes made to make the game end faster (like less ammo for shotguns, or the fade losing health over time). I honestly think more should be done to make games last longer/be scarier for the marines. My favorite part of being the fade is trying to make the marines panic and do stupid things so i can pick them off one by one over time.
    Completely agree.
    ScardyBob wrote: »

Yeah, some jerkoff was trolling your server pretty hard the other night and we couldn't do anything about it but try to ignore him. He'd just hide for 8 minutes every time he got fade and it ended up killing the server eventually, and he was playing some shitty rap music over voice comms the whole time. He would try to TK everyone when he was a marine, too. Can't remember his name though :/

I was there with you. The night before he was on also. Ironhorse got his steam id and I believe scardybob is speaking of the same guy.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How would someone go about making a map for this? Any special entities? Do I add power nodes, or even lights?

• TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    How would someone go about making a map for this? Any special entities? Do I add power nodes, or even lights?

Make it like a normal ns2 map, it will work fine.
  • RioRio Join Date: 2005-01-28 Member: 38716Members
    Sorry guys, but I don't have the time to work on the mod at the moment. If there is a programmer out there, willing to help me, message me!
  • GobiGobi Join Date: 2013-05-28 Member: 185390Members
    edited May 2013

I had in mind when I took these decisions to add a lot of pressure:
    to the marines with less ammo for shotguns, you will count your ammo and don't fire when you think the fade may be hidden but only when you're sure.

to the fade, if you are low hp, then you know you will have to kill soon or you will die. It even might put the marines under pressure because if there is a lot of time without any kill, you can be sure that one of the marines will soon be picked up.

I don't know right now if those are great/ bad ideas or will have the effects I'm hopping to.
    I'm gonna test those changes live this WE.

Rio wrote: »
    Sorry guys, but I don't have the time to work on the mod at the moment. If there is a programmer out there, willing to help me, message me!

I'm currently modifying your mod, I'm really thinking about its gameplay, and how to make this mod a classic of NS2.

The major problem I got is that a player can be dead for as long as 7min right now.
    If you are the first to die in two consecutive games, then you might have played 2min for 14min spectating.
    That's a problem often avoided by re-spawning quickly (tf2, ns2, bf3 ...).
    Not in CS by the way, but I didn't played it much, maybe the rounds are faster ?
    So if anyone has a suggestion to solve this problem of the dead guys spectating for too long, please post here !!

Dear Rio, if you are interested in any changes I suggested, then we should work together.
    If not, then we could go in different directions to offer different experiences.

I must add that I'm currently a noobish LUA/NS2 framework programmer :D

Cheers!
    Another idea is to question player at the end of a game, asking them if they want to play The Faded or not, and then random only for those asking for it.
    Because I often see people who F4 when they are fade, they only want to play marine.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    You quoted me as saying this when I did not. It was ritual who did. In response to what your direction... The faded I thought was a ns2 style hidden source mod. Hidden source has none of the gameplay mechanics you speak of. Faded does not get nearly enough attention, maybe yours will. Shouldn't call it the faded though just for the sake of confusing people.
    Gobi wrote: »

I had in mind when I took these decisions to add a lot of pressure:
    to the marines with less ammo for shotguns, you will count your ammo and don't fire when you think the fade may be hidden but only when you're sure.

to the fade, if you are low hp, then you know you will have to kill soon or you will die. It even might put the marines under pressure because if there is a lot of time without any kill, you can be sure that one of the marines will soon be picked up.

I don't know right now if those are great/ bad ideas or will have the effects I'm hopping to.
    I'm gonna test those changes live this WE.
    ok, my version of the mod might be called "the hungry fade" or "the mighty fade" then.
    I'm not copying/pasting the hidden mod as it exists on hl², I'm trying to do something else.
    edited June 2013
    Gobi wrote: »
    ok, my version of the mod might be called "the hungry fade" or "the mighty fade" then.
    I'm not copying/pasting the hidden mod as it exists on hl², I'm trying to do something else.

Possibly improve apon even. The hidden mod has not been updated in quite awhile.
    Fixed for build 500.
    Added an option for clients to exclude from Faded selection (type nofade or nofaded in chat)
    Added new help messages
    I never see any servers with this active. I try to seed one from time to time but no one comes. Maybe we few who like the mod should make a steam group and have like faded fridays or whatever day works best. Anyone?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Sometimes I see a server running this with lots of players. It must be an organised session. There was a russian server running it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    Is this mod still alive? I played it and really like it.
    edited July 2013
    It is alive, I just don't have the time to add new features at the moment. I got some cool ideas planed though.
    The steam group for the mod is probably a good idea too. Let me see if I can get something started this weekend.
    edited July 2013
    One cool feature to add would be a level 1 aura ability. Really to just see health levels to know who to pick off first. Hidden source mod has something similar.
    I started a steam group after all. It is public. I plan to try to coordinate some games depending on how many people join the group. At the very least we can try to seed a server. This mod needs more attention and more people playing it.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2faded
    edited August 2013
    Build 252/253 most likely breaks this mod, but on the other side the new build adds some of the features I wanted to add in the Faded mod. I'm going to release an update next weekend, so stay tuned for:
      * Repairable power nodes * The Faded gets blinded by light (flash light, room light) * Stab! * Grenades will be selectable as equipment

Some of the features that are going to get added after that:
      * The Faded causes a disorient effect when near marines * Bloodthirst (see https://github.com/myrio/ns2-hidden/issues/35) * Laser sight, laser mines selectable as equipment * Configurable fair Faded rotation (players who haven't been the Faded get favoured in the Faded selection) * Webs for the Faded, maybe? * Alarm tripwires
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    so does this mod still get attention?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    GameOver wrote: »
    so does this mod still get attention?

I think there are some servers running it, yes. One in Seattle, at least. There used to be a french one and german one, for a short time. I think it's lacking maps...
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2013
    And lacking of people playing ns2 at all.
    Even normal mode has just a few servers which are not empty, fells like dying atm.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, sadly.
    There've been players on a european hidden mod server today. I found it odd that you may not use the flashlight to have a better chance to get a glimpse on the fade.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    If any one is interested we have a dedicated server for this mod in EU.

91.121.64.194:270000 Faded mod - naturalselection2.pl
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This mod has two major problems, imo.

1. The visibility of the fade. You can't see him with your flashlights on, and that's fine, but you can't see him with your flashlights off, too. Or at least you can't see him good enough (i didn't see him once).

2. A fair system for who becomes the fade. It's frustrating to play a whole hour without getting the fade only to watch some joining newbie to get him instantly.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Just played this tonight, is this still being worked on? (Sorry about the thread necro!)

I think it's a lot of fun, just needs a bit of work.

The game needs to scale with the number of players. As it is now, it's always the same time limit, and always the same health for the fade.

Also, it'd be great if marines were given objectives to prevent turtling. Like maybe they have to build rez towers or something?
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Just played this tonight, is this still being worked on? (Sorry about the thread necro!)

I think it's a lot of fun, just needs a bit of work.

The game needs to scale with the number of players. As it is now, it's always the same time limit, and always the same health for the fade.

Also, it'd be great if marines were given objectives to prevent turtling. Like maybe they have to build rez towers or something?

@BeigeAlert
    @Rio could answer better, but afaik this is not being worked on as RIO told me in PM. He said "some french guy is updating it" for his server but the whole mod itself has not really been updated. When I last played it I saw that a lot of features weren't working. One such feature was scaling. The fades health used to scale based on number of marines. Time limit was always the same though.

I love this mod, and I used to try and seed it every fridays. Started a steam group to try and get a faded fridays going. Seeding a faded server is really difficult. I would love to see it active again.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ah that explains a lot. Yea I played it on some french server, and the mod was named differently (like "ns2 fr.com faded" or something like that).

Jetpacks are gone too... but I guess that's a good thing.
    I've noticed a lot more people playing this mod lately. Hopefully we can keep it popular.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I played it for a few hours this morning, good fun but definitely could use some health scaling. Also a popular suggestion in the server I was playing on would be to require the marines to move around for some objective, as waiting in a corner for the round to end or the fade suicide rushes isn't very fun for either team.

My personal gripe is the crouch to land faster mechanic, I wasted so much energy failing to enter vents because of it.