NSL Season 3 Weekly Predictions

casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited November 2013 in Competitive Play
10/11 UPDATE: Playoff Quarter/Semi-Final Predictions are up! Read on!

Ok. So I've finally found some free time outside of class, master's thesis, etc. etc. to finish my predictions. Yes, ALL divisional predictions for Week 3 are up. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the time to go back and do weeks 1 and 2 for Divisions 1-4 (and that would be cheating anyway). Still haven't had time to work on my first article, and I already have an idea for a 2nd one in mind already. Hopefully I'll get to them sometime this century. I'm semi-reposting this in the Competitive Play forum because it'll just get buried in the General forum again.

Anyways, I'm going to make a really, really concerted effort to keep the predictions up-to-date from week to week, and to force myself to do that, I'm going to make this public commitment:

All predictions will be up by the Friday 9PM EST/Saturday 0300 CEST preceding their intended play date.*

So, for instance, Week 4 Predictions will be up September 27th @ 9PM EST/September 28th @ 3AM CEST.

Here's the link (yes, it's still free/wix stuff. Sorry about that—I'm a broke grad student).

All the best,
soz.

P.S. - Let me know of any wonky formatting (Wix is a pain in the ass sometimes) and/or factual errors (team records, rankings, etc.--unfortunately, on a budget of $0, I don't have a copy editor).

* - My incentive to do this is mainly for you guys—if people aren't reading, I'd unfortunately just have to stop doing them. I know it's a bit selfish, but I simply have too much real-life stuff to do, it just wouldn't be worth my already-sparse free time to keep doing this for just a handful of people (beautiful though you may be!). So please! Feedback, responses, and even [civil] debating with me/each other about who's better than who would be amazing!

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Really nice soz! Love these things, I advertised it in the weekly newspost and will keep doing so :)
  • roxrox Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185536Members
    Yeah great job on this! Really entertaining read and I think you are spot on with most of these, which is pretty impressive considering how hard it is to predict some of the new and lower level teams.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Snails vs Saunamen:
    "Even so, however, these two teams are already so familiar with each other—I can't see either one getting the best of the other here. They'll split the rounds here and look to meet again in the post-season for a more definitive outcome."

You underestimated the Saunamen rage in this one. :)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really enjoy these, gives me my NS2 fix for a while. :)
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Hey, 3-1 isn't that far off from 2-2 :P

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Awesome that you put in that much effort, and for the lower divisions as well. =D>
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Quite impressive that you're able to follow and give accurate predictions for all teams, even the lower division ones. Good work, soz.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Didn't we all? ;)
    That match was exactly what I wanted to see from Saunamen at the event, I'm happy to see them take those games so convincingly.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    do you want web hosting i can give you webhosting
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Soz these are great! :D

Also side note os2firefox is having me work on a babbler stuffed animal. If they are successful we'll send you one.
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Soz, I was thoroughly creeped out on how much information you knew about my team. I didn't expect such an accurate write-up.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Gliss wrote: »
    do you want web hosting i can give you webhosting
    If it's not an inconvenience for you gliss, that would be great :O Just for legitimacy, if nothing else :p
    Spa wrote: »
    Also side note os2firefox is having me work on a babbler stuffed animal. If they are successful we'll send you one.
    A babbler!? Will it come with a bait ball :D?
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    well done soz, great work. This was one of my favorite parts about CS 1.6 :P
  • Mellow1123Mellow1123 Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183615Members
    Good job. However, the radical - veetus prediction 2-2 is a bit off. We (radical) will 4-0 them with one hand in our pocket like we will with any team in our division :)
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    excellent write up; specially before watching a stream :)
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mellow getting cocky haha. I expect we will have some pretty close games especially against priori. We haven't even played vetus yet so can't comment on how we will do but I expect a decent match.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    A babbler!? Will it come with a bait ball :D?

Lol good idea I'll work on that too :P
    Alright, sorry for the lateness guys, Week 4 Predictions are up!

Also, read the update in the OP! Happy reading everyone :)

-soz
  • FulgoFulgo Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180399Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really nice job, I enjoy reading these! Btw, bumbasaur is mulkmulkmulk, not a new addition for Quaxy :D
    Fulgo wrote: »
    Btw, bumbasaur is mulkmulkmulk, not a new addition for Quaxy :D
    Impostor! Fake mulk on the loose! :p

• AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    i like your idea, but you should talk to someone from the european community.
    your predictions for the korean team and some of the EU are completly off.

its you predict the Green Bay Packers would losse to Cleveland Browns
    or Bayern Munich would losse to Spartak Moskau.

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    the amount of work to do these is apprecciated
    edited September 2013
    Aioros wrote: »

It's all in good fun, I'm not getting paid to do this or anything, just writing in my spare time (which is... 'spare' as it is), but I suppose I could talk to some people! Maybe you'd like to enlighten me on some of my off predictions :D

And the way this season is going, the Packers probably would lose to the Browns :p

And as always, agree or not, thanks for reading!
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aioros wrote: »
    i like your idea, but you should talk to someone from the european community.

As a fan of the Detroit Lions I feel the need to point out that the Packers are not doing all that well this year and likely would lose to Cleveland.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Team X 3-1 in the opposite direction.

Soz didn't see dat coming.
    Locklear wrote: »
    Team X 3-1 in the opposite direction.

Soz didn't see dat coming.
    Dat NA pride. It messes with my mind D:

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Hey Soz, as you know I love your casting. But Aioros is correct in a way. You called BKlub over Team X; DN over Quaxy; Titus over Quaxy. i.e. American over European teams. It might be argued that in your defence you picked Snails over BKlub (but they're winning tournaments and BKlub isn't so you'd have to be insane not to). i.e. where there are two teams of a more similar level you choose the US ones. Perhaps the only real exception was Titus and Exertus but I suppose Exertus due to their past exploits might have deserved a tentative 2-2 prediction as we had not seen them for a while.

I do love these so keep them coming.
    You called BKlub over Team X; DN over Quaxy; Titus over Quaxy. i.e. American over European teams.
    You're right :p I'll admit there's probably some bias coming in :D But those predictions were all made without much to base them on--in other words, they were Week 1 matches (Bklub/Team X & DN/Quaxy). Both BKlub and Team X hadn't played together as a team basically all summer long. I picked BKlub because I didn't know they were going to be using an all-new roster (inzo, palagi, pyro, etc.), meanwhile I had watched (and cast) quite a few Team X PCWs and they didn't look like they were 100% back in season shape just yet. I was high on DN to start this season because they assimilated All-In's old roster and just have a ridiculous amount of individual talent, and I grossly underestimated Quaxy entirely this season so far. But either way--did anyone call them drawing Titus? :s

I think the Titus guys will be the first to tell you they could/should have won that outright!

As far as lower divisions go, though, of course, I'm not familiar with every single team. I hardly have the time to write these, so doing my homework and watching them all is a pretty far cry from the realm of possibility D: It would help tremendously if teams actually played their matches though so I had something to go on... there are still a handful of teams that haven't even played a single match yet o_o
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2013
    casan0vax wrote: »
    and I grossly underestimated Quaxy entirely this season so far. But either way--did anyone call them drawing Titus? :s

I think the Titus guys will be the first to tell you they could/should have won that outright!

I don't know if i'm misunderstanding you here but both teams deserved the draw and in my opinion we (Quaxy) f*cked up the alien round in Descent, so we could have been talking about a 3-1 to us if we didn't make those mistakes :/

I understand Titus might think the same way I do, they could have won 3-1 too, so, again, both teams deserved the draw.