No love for the User Interface (HUD/Scoreboard/Minimap/etc) ?

blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
edited October 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Recent updates are great and all, the game is pretty playable, but why is there never any (re)work done to the UI, Minimap/Scoreboard/Chat?

I am aware that this may be at the very bottom of the priority list, but I mean come on. The game hit retail, is available in Steam Store, so should it not look at least more polished? Gameplay aside, I think the visuals in the game as for now are pretty weak.

- The scoreboard is hopefully a placeholder... basic, dull and unfinished, no own style
- The Alien HUD is overloaded, has weird design (i.e Gorge menu) and colors and lacks polished fast menus
- The MOD List in the main menu is really annoying, you cannot sort map mods and active mods etc, this should be more user-friendly
- Serverbrowser needs some tweaking aswell (but this is being discussed already I think), someone already released a promising looking non flash Browser
- Marine Commander has no squad system, waypoint blips are way too large for marines and block vision
- Minimap should be alot more polished with outlines and better, maybe larger indication of RT's and Powernodes and Infestation, or even be reworked
- There should be more options for the player's HUD (position, size, crosshair, transparency you get the idea)

what do you think?

Comments

• wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    I'd love to see upgrades progress on my UI as a non-commander.

Obviously that information wouldn't be always on... it would be shown on a key press, maybe when opening the map.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree on reworking the UI to be more streamlined, especially for gorges.

Commander Squad system would be amazing, especially if there was a tint on the armor of the marines so that they would know easily which squad they were in

@wopwop there is a tech tree with upgrade progress available in game, default bind for me is "j"
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    wopwop wrote: »

Obviously that information wouldn't be always on... it would be shown on a key press, maybe when opening the map.

Press J and you will be amazed.
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    wopwop wrote: »

Press J and you will be amazed.

Ahw gad, I knew about the tree but didn't know it showed progress, amazing!
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    no idea if its possible to add decals on marine armor depending on which squad u are but would be nice. I was more thinking about different colors and a basic squad management system, hotkeys etc. to help improving the marine commander interface.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'll give my opinion when bp- will really play the game ! We miss you, crazy german !

<3 schlampe
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'd like crosshair selection, as well as a better default server browser (=...) .
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    rayzou wrote: »
    I'll give my opinion when bp- will really play the game ! We miss you, crazy german !

<3 schlampe

wut
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    edited October 2013

<3 schlampe

we will see rayyon : D <3
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Why this flag ? My post was full of love ;(

Anyway, i agree with the fact that User Interface isn't that great, but I'm not really sure UWE have time for this right now. Especially since they are working on another top secret project of d00m.

It's true it could give a better impression for fresh new players about the game... When you launch a game and find it looks like a mess, you don't really want to look for the informations you want. Things should look more pure and natural, well placed, etc...

I prefer seeing gameplay changes than this :D
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Why this flag ? My post was full of love ;(

I flaged it because you used german language in a inappropriate way and could offend ppl with that. Don't use words you don't know ;)

Removed flag but pls don't call ppl a slut in public forums
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited October 2013
    I'd love to be able to see my ping and the alien deaths with lower resolutions.
    offenses between friends are allright, honestly. i call my friends c()$%!% gobblers and c&*( (*^ all day long and they arent offended by it.