State of Development: September 2013 - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    edited October 2013
    ns1 classic map pack gogo
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    Wonderful soups chefs, I am ready for my next dish! Bring it UWE!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm also guessing the something for "veterans" is the official Eclipse remake I've heard whispers about.

I'd be fine with no big gameplay features, I think there's plenty of tech in the game as it is. There are still some balance/design tweaks I'd like to see though, hopefully the disappearance of the Beta Test mod doesn't mean they're done thinking about that sort of thing.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hera too?

Last update I saw, hera was looking AMAZING
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Right now, there are several Reinforcement Program rewards that continue to be delayed – The physical Onos tier rewards and the Expanded Original Soundtrack (OST). Good progress is being made on the Onos rewards and those with that tier will receive them some time in October.

Will you guys still be emailing us soon about our T-Shirt sizes and name-to-print on the T-Shirt?
    I'd personally like my ingame name on the T-Shirt but use my real name on the artbook if possible.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whatever new game they are making, it's likely to be using the spark engine. So, that'll hint toward what sort of game it might be.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would be cool to see Eclipse, Hera, maybe Tanith return to official NS2.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Popture wrote: »
    Whatever new game they are making, it's likely to be using the spark engine. So, that'll hint toward what sort of game it might be.

I see big limitations with the engine :(

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm hoping that their next game will be just as unique as NS2. NS2's FPS/RTS combo is pretty much the game idea where you say "duh, why haven't other people been making games like this?" after looking at it.

Personally, I think single player games are mostly dull derivatives, especially in recent times. Most of the interesting games to me have been multiplayer (such as DayZ, the Hidden, TF2, etc). Perhaps UWE could pull off a single player game if they had a good writer and a good yarn to spin.

Safe bet would be that UWE may work on another unique multiplayer game. Perhaps something like a first person arena shooter with wizards and spell casting (First Person Magicka, anyone?). Or maybe an interesting cooperative experience: you and a few friends work together as engineers to keep a starship functional (let's call this one Star Tech).

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Awww man, every one has lice but me ...

So is there a credit card/debit card payment option? Those 3 payment options I am unfamiliar with, we can use a credit card with paypal yes/no? If yes I can sling a work mate some coin and get me some lice.

Also - can we turn lice off ingame? I'm guessing yes as I see some shadow lice but also some all-up-to-shadow lice, unless that means they paid several times?

I'd rather pay and be lice free.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    EDIT: No worries, answered my own question about payment by clicking on 'paypal' option.

However, can we turn lice off in game?

Payment coming through Thursday (my Thursday, non anti-podians)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The badge icons I assume. No they can't be disabled. And they all stack and move your name across the scoreboard.
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Regarding badges. I've seen some people having more than one badge. What's the official stance on it? Is it encouraged?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can choose not to activate the lice to your Steam account, which is what I did.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    xDragon wrote: »
    I hate to be the only negative one, ...

Naaah. You don't. ;) Actually it seems to be your full-time job.

Anyway. Looking forward to the matchmaking and a bugfix for the freezes.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    does development updates include speeding up combat again.

Because between skulk and fade agility/speed nerfs and marine strafe jumping, combat is far easier than it once was for both sides. A lot of people are noting the effect of this as the "not as fun" sets in.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After having lolled around in CS:GO matchmaking for a while now with friends, I must say, I feel like even a not-so-good matchmaking system would be a nice thing to have in NS2... Could in many cases beat random completely random pubbing.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    How about a NS RTS-only mini-game timed with the Steam Box release? With simpler 1vs1 or maybe 2vsAI gameplay and with support for the Steam Controller. If it turns out to be fun it will give the "NS universe" some extra attention and drive new players to (the by then further improved) NS2.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    a co-op game for living room

yes!
  • CraftyBadgerCraftyBadger Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186327Members
    edited October 2013
    Introduce a new race and call it... Protoss! no wait Predator!

Seriously though I would love a proper wave based survival game with this engine a bit like Alien Swarm or l4d with special infected AI.
    Space Hulk Vengeance of the Blood Angels gave great suspense in the day. you had to move as a unit working together to cover as much ground as quickly as possible with the ai most of the time trying to find your weakness.

It would have a commander style game with AI and human controlled players working through objectives against the narrowing odds as time goes on. If a concept could be worked from this style I would buy it.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I was hoping for such an announcement.
    All that NS2 needs is some polish and maps, it is in a good place content-wise. I'm glad you guys are moving on and I'm very excited what you come up with this time. Thanks for making my favorite MP game of all time and all the best for your future project, you've got my support!
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    good to hear that there are people working on the memory issue. Keep on fixing guys!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I am just a bit worried that there was no direct mention of improving performance. I assume that is a result of bug fixes but this game still has major cpu limitations for both clients and servers.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mazza wrote: »
    Will you guys still be emailing us soon about our T-Shirt sizes and name-to-print on the T-Shirt?
    I'd personally like my ingame name on the T-Shirt but use my real name on the artbook if possible.

Yes, I or Lilly will be doing this soon.

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    *insert generic optimistic statement here*
    I hate to be the only negative one, but I still stand by the fact that as long as certain key aspects go on ignored, any additions to the game will continue to only have a marginal impact, matchmaking and other features included.

I understand that full-time development must come to an end, but that doesnt mean the game will stop being actively improved and bug-fixed. I hope thats the case here.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I doubt they will stop development any time soon. They will just slow development a bit, meaning you wont see stuff like reinforced/gorgeous as often.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    As is the nature of a growing forum thread losing sight of the original post, there is much discussion of 'the end of NS2 development' in this thread. Such a thing is not happening!

The bit of article that this thread is linked to that most people are talking about - 'The end of UWE being wholly and only devoted to NS2 development' - Comes at the end of a long discussion of current and future NS2 development plans.

If you are coming to this thread on page X, here is the link: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/state-of-development-september-2013/