NS2 ever going free? =D

KozaKKozaK Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183811Members
Hi, guys!

What do you think about NS2 going free?

Something like TF2....

I wouldn't mind at all, i paid for the game, helped developers already, and i just want to keep playing with lots of people...

UnknowWorld guys concluded that they wont be getting much money from sells anymore ( thats what i understood from their last posts)

So, how about going F2P, plus giving the community something to buy and walk around the ready room in style???

Comments

• DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They already said they're never going to do that.
  • KozaKKozaK Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183811Members
    and what do you think about? would you mind?

I think they said that becouse they think the community would look at it in a bad way...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Why the **** should NS2 be free. Come on it cost like 5 $. People not ready to pay that much for a game don't fit into the ns2 community anyway in my opinion.
    Why the **** should NS2 be free. Come on it cost like 5 $. People not ready to pay that much for a game don't fit into the ns2 community anyway in my opinion.

Why not?

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    KozaK wrote: »

Why not?

-snip-

Because
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    PPL who play F2P games have total different mentality than ppl who bought a game.
    Before you buy a game you inform yourself if you like the gameplay etc. . As NS2 has a high learning curve we need ppl ready to spent some time with the game, not ppl who just want to test it.
    We need ppl who are aware what ns2 is.

In fact making NS2 F2P wouldn't help the community in any way it just would destroy it. Even the free wekends were a pain for many of us, having ppl on servers who had no interest in actuall learning the game.

And everyone who is ready to play NS2 after informing himself is also ready to pay 5$.

A game which is hard to access has no chance as F2P and so NS2 is no game meant to be F2P. Why do you think it would be a good idea to make it F2P ?
    ezekel wrote: »

Why not?

-snip-

Because

Hey im just trying to help, i like the and i want more people to play it....
    We used to be in this rank: http://store.steampowered.com/stats
    Now we can't even find NS2 in this list.....
    But hey, look, the game you said sux becouse it's free is the second one most played....

42,610 78,965 Team Fortress 2

=/

edited September 2013
    If you like more ppl to play it tell your friend about it etc. . You can get NS2 for 3 TF2 keys at tf2op.com (1 TF2 Key ~ max 2$ at Community Market).

Making it F2P is the wrong way to go because of the reasons i pointed out. TF2 is less complex than NS2 also DOTA is easier to access and both are AAA-Titels who had a lot more promotion than ns2 will ever have.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    PPL who play F2P games have total different mentality than ppl who bought a game.
    Before you buy a game you inform yourself if you like the gameplay etc. . As NS2 has a high learning curve we need ppl ready to spent some time with the game, not ppl who just want to test it.
    We need ppl who are aware what ns2 is.

In fact making NS2 F2P wouldn't help the community in any way it just would destroy it. Even the free wekends were a pain for many of us, having ppl on servers who had no interest in actuall learning the game.

And everyone who is ready to play NS2 after informing himself is also ready to pay 5$.

A game which is hard to access has no chance as F2P and so NS2 is no game meant to be F2P. Why do you think it would be a good idea to make it F2P ?

the free weekends we had were kinda fail... at both the game perfomance were really really bad, many ppl just didn't buy the game becouse of that....

problem is, how do we get these ppl back to try the game???
    edited September 2013
    First step: Making NS2 more stable. Second step: Community promotion. First goal: peak of 2000. Imho 5$ are more than total fair for ns2.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    We need a stable free weekend promotion. That would be a big boon. If we can get a rock solid build out before a free weekend we'd likely pick up a lot of new players.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah the bad performance builds really did put a dent on possible players-base.
    When's the last time you played a game, noticed awful performance and came back at a later date? More often then not you find yourself completely forgetting about said game. If someone ever mentions it in the future, you'll think of it as: "that badly optimized game".

Regarding F2P, I'd say no, simply because the over the top cosmetics from TF2 is the last thing I'd want in any game.
    And if you can't make money on hats, you'll have to make money on gear and then set some stupid xp unlock system that takes forever to grind through.

Maybe at some point in the far future when the playerbase is fading away they can make it f2p but without any special unlocks. Simply free. Tie this in with the reinforcement program and you might have a possible source of in-come. Doubt this will happen though but it be an awesome gesture from UWE. That being said, they do need money to keep going and I doubt reinforcement program will outweigh the profit from steamdeals.
    On the other hand, making ns2 simply free to all users on steam would be a hell of a way to market your company and expand the user-base. Everyone has heard of, or more likely also played Enemy Territory.
    Could be a good way to market their new game in the future while giving an extra jolt of life in ns2.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi, guys!
    i just want to keep playing with lots of new people...

No you don't.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Free to play Will bring lots of people yeah, but lots of the wrong kinds of people. It's fine as it is.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You can put as many smileys in your post as you want, but you won't find much love here about that topic...
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was just gonna type it here, but needed to help of my feline friend :)

http://i.imgur.com/p0ghQkX.jpg
  • Cyanogen101Cyanogen101 Australia Join Date: 2013-10-01 Member: 188547Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It might go free, but maybe when it stops getting developed, maybe when NS3 comes out, lol
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Free doesn't always suck, I've been playing Warframe which is a F2P title, loads of fun. You don't need to spend a time to keep up with the paying folks :)
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Wasnt NS1 F2P? I never paid a cent for it, anyway.
    Lol

edited October 2013
    CCTEE wrote: »

Lol

NS1 was a mod, that is a different thing than a f2p titel. And pls don't quote me out of context.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    Mods and F2P are two completely separate things

Also you had to buy/own HL1 to play NS1

(Ninja'd)
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 was Free-to-Play but alot of it was in part of it being a mod and not actually a stand alone game. The NS2 Development was entirely STANDALONE (minus the first part were UWE attempted to use the source engine) and cost all the developers time and personal funds wich was in fact donated. The game itself I can never support going free-to-play because no matter how many people donate (my mind can change if we hit ther 550,000 goal) we can never pay them back for the painstaking hours and time away from their families. Making a game free-to-play in itself dosent mean that the game is now free and can get a new wave of players but the game going free tells the developers "Hey...thanks for spending your time on this great game and instead of getting paid for your hard work we want it all for free...THANKS!!!" I will always be a UWE donator and will always support money whenever they ask on a few seperate occasions because thats dedication. I waited 5 years before NS2 became a thing were I could actually play and faith made a huge role in it.

Thanks to all the Developers and their Familiys who support them and always know that the Constiliation will always support your endevours. All you need to do is ask.
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They really need to drop the game's price in order to get more players. Or invest in advertisement... or something...

The game feels so inactive with 800 players online.
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    SjN wrote: »
    They really need to drop the game's price in order to get more players. Or invest in advertisement... or something...

$24.95 is NOT expensive especially since the new game sale curve is $55.00+
    edited October 2013
    SjN wrote: »

Dropping the price = F2P. It is allready at ~5$ at every steam sale
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »

Lol

NS1 was a mod, that is a different thing than a f2p titel. And pls don't quote me out of context.

I dont see the difference from a player perspective AT ALL.
    NS1 didnt have a learning curve? Required teamplay?

I also dont see how i quoted you out of context.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff