Unbalanced onos groud slam damage(message to uwe developers).

M4NS14Y3RM4NS14Y3R Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177497Members
Well, the radius is way too wide and the damage is way too high. Combined with skulk xenocide its insta exo welders kill. Also. xenocide damage is too high too. Not many people are using it but when 2 skulks use xenocide + 2 onoses use ground slam its almost imposible to go throw or to protect arcs. Before there was no slam damage and, for example, grounded jet marine can get an onos hit and get up and fly away. Now he gets onos slam damage + onos hit and it often leads to infantry portal. Aliens have way to much aoe attacks. Lower slam damage and radius to 2/3 and it's ok. Lol, and btw, before when onos use seismic attack u r grounded but no dmg - it's ok. But now.. is it damage from falling? armor is THAT heavy? :) xD srsly this fantasy tips aren't for this game.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oni are dreaded now, how it should be.

And barely anyone is using xenocide (as you said), so I don't really see a problem here.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Coordinating two skulks to use xeno. Good luck.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited September 2013
    A few days ago we (marines) were turtling and I dodged 5 stomps from 2 onoses under 10 seconds. My superb matador tricks didn't save us in the end, but it just proves that stomp is fine as it is. Oh, and if we're talking about 'science' of stomp damage, I guess it works similarly as if you take a sledgehammer and hit a big rock as hard as you can. The impact shock really hurts your hands ^^
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2013
    Im confused. Is he complaining about the abilities, or that he played against an organized alien team (that got 3 hives)

P.S You can jump over stomp
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So, once aliens have won the game, they shouldn't have the tools to win the game?

Imma go rethink how I should live life.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    His post can be summarised as "make them useless again"
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2013
    Welcome to tier 3.

Also xeno is bext siege breaker in the game, lets see the whole team respawn off their precious 4 ips.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    " ...but when 2 skulks use xenocide + 2 oni use ground slam..."
    If the Aliens are this coordinated then you deserve to die.
    Don't forget the 1 lerk sporing.

Its not the holidays yet but I think I hear a song coming. 12 days of Christmas ns2 style.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You had a game where Onos managed to use stomp before marines conceded?

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I think XENO is fine as is too. I was using it a lot and it wasn't too easy to take things out but it would do plenty of damage to make marines worry and scramble around like ants :)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I personally think xeno is well underpowered, but then as it results in you dying and having to wait for respawn with very little chance of getting any kills, I never use it anyway. I probably wouldn't even if it did double its current damage and heavy type, tbh. It's just not a very well thought out ability from a fun perspective.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I totally disagree with the nerfing of the onos, and the xeno damage is fine BUT the xeno does have a bit too large of a radius. I mean its kinda ridiculous when you are halfway across a room and a skulk explodes in the doorway doing a ton of damage to you.. look at the radius grenades have, its a joke in comparison.
    Also the xeno visual does not give any indication how large the radius is so you can know in the future how far to stand to be safe - you are just damaged by this invisible magic damage cloud..
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joederp wrote: »
    I totally disagree with the nerfing of the onos, and the xeno damage is fine BUT the xeno does have a bit too large of a radius. I mean its kinda ridiculous when you are halfway across a room and a skulk explodes in the doorway doing a ton of damage to you.. look at the radius grenades have, its a joke in comparison.
    Also the xeno visual does not give any indication how large the radius is so you can know in the future how far to stand to be safe - you are just damaged by this invisible magic damage cloud..

Implying that xeno should be balanced with grenades. Xeno is a late game ability while grenades can be cheaply researched in the opening minutes, and marines can use grenades without killing themselves. I think it's perfectly fair that xenocide is stronger than grenades.

That being said, the cluster grenade could definitely use some damage tweaking
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Xeno is awesome as a late game, its job is to stop marines bunching up, kill welders, and do damage so the rest off your team can get in while marines are panicking or restreating to heal.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    " ...but when 2 skulks use xenocide + 2 oni use ground slam..."
    If the Aliens are this coordinated then you deserve to die.

This.

Also... complaining about xenocide is a new low. The ability is barely used and extremely situational.
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    So, once aliens have won the game, they shouldn't have the tools to win the game?

So then why don't Marines get an "I Win" button when they max out their skill trees
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

So then why don't Marines get an "I Win" button when they max out their skill trees

Because they don't need one... have you ever heard anyone complain about "alien turtling?" Marines are more than capable enough to take down a hive just with shotties, jps, and upgrades.

Not to mention that ARCs are pretty much an "I Win" button if the marines are fully teched.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

Asymmetry. And they do, to some extent (as long as they retain sufficient map control/ are actually winning).

Essentially things like ARCs and Exosuits accomplish the same crushing power that hive 3 aliens have. Marines have never had issues ending games because of the way the alien tech tree works- the state of the power of the new hive 3 aliens is relatively new in NS2 and it was a welcome change. Marines previously (when the hive 3 abilities were weak/ irrelevant) could turtle indefinitely and it was nothing but a giant waste of time for both parties involved. Now it just works both ways, maxed aliens are quite powerful and able to win games, while aliens on 1 hive are relatively helpless against marines on late game tech and lose quite easily.
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How can Arcs be comparable to Onos/Xeocide at all? Arcs blow up if the aliens look at them funny. It takes such a full team effort to make any kind of arc train work. Meanwhile Onos hits stomp and then they win all team fights forever.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2013
    Xenocide is only underpowered if you're trying to use it on a group of A3 marines by yourself with no follow-through by the rest of your team so that the marines have enough time to weld back up. Otherwise, it lets a single skulk - who is probably going to die in about the same amount of time as that xenocide charge requires - inflict massive armor damage to a pack of full upgraded marines, or kill any marines who already have taken significant armor damage. Pretty much any followup after a xenocide is going to do some serious damage, and given that you can switch to bite and get some hits in while xeno is charging it's possible to get kills even before the followup.

While it's quite hard and in some cases almost impossible for marines to come back after aliens get three hives, the same can be said of marines if they're allowed to tech fully while holding the alien's third hive location. A full tech marine team is certainly more dangerous than an alien team stuck on tier 2. The difference is that, in general, time and resource income are the only limiting factors for marine tech advancement, whereas aliens require holding several specific map locations. There's a clock on both ends. If you start to fall behind and let the enemy get ahead of you, well, you're going to be at a disadvantage. If the game didn't work that way it couldn't really call itself an RTS.

PS: flamethrowers kill bile bombs in mid-air. Some food for thought for the next time you're protecting an arc push. :)
    How can Arcs be comparable to Onos/Xeocide at all? Arcs blow up if the aliens look at them funny. It takes such a full team effort to make any kind of arc train work. Meanwhile Onos hits stomp and then they win all team fights forever.

Go up against an entire team of marines by yourself and stomp all you want. They will still kill you. Just like an ARC or exo push, you need a team effort to make it work.

Also, stomp is fairly easy to dodge. There is a very noticeable, drawn out animation, and it travels along the ground. Just jump at the right time.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold

In the context of the thread (ending games) arcs in combination with JP marines/ exos are pretty much an i-win mechanic against hive1 aliens.

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I would be happy if spawn timer post xeno had a fixed delay of like 1-2 seconds... Having to wait a long time is the only reason I don't xeno...
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BentRing wrote: »
    Xenocide would be used much more often if it didn't count as a death on the scoreboard IMO.

You shouldn't have abilities that help win games count against the person that uses them...

especially in sight of the new skill ranking, which primary factor is the K/D
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I don't see why people sweat the deaths of free life forms. And I hope nobody cares about the new rank system as it's still a work on progress and hardly represents anything.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    I don't see why people sweat the deaths of free life forms. And I hope nobody cares about the new rank system as it's still a work on progress and hardly represents anything.

But you see your overall K/D there. Thats enough for many player to change their playstyle...
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So basically...

Teamwork OP in a team-based game?

Nerf teamwork, please.