Combat : What the...

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

Apparently we cannot use tier 3 weapon and you still can buy it.

It starts to really feel wrong. While marine can just JP+FT (FT FTW).

How about removing FT if alien cannot use Tier 3 weapons ?

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Everybody knows that combat is broken right now

They are working on it

Just HoldYourFuckingHorses
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    *snip* no gigantic image macros, please -Narfwak
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Personally I love the competitive mode of combat with no onos (devour has to go. It Has To Go) and no ft, gl, exo, scan etc etc.
    There are a few servers running this and it's just so much better than the default combat mod.
    Did I mention that devour sucks absolute donkey arse? It requires no skill and forces another player immediately out of the game. Totally ruins an otherwise fun game mode.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Will add boneshield as Tier2,
    stomp as Tier3 and disable devour.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Devour is annoying as hell. And it's range is way too big.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    devour + jetpack + this games interp

Yup.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    But I like devour :(

Ahh well, I could live without it I guess...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Devour is annoying as hell. And it's range is way too big.

You're wrong about that. Onos have to be close like a skulk biting. It's just what you see on your screen because of lag (even on good server).
    JimWest wrote: »
    Will add boneshield as Tier2,
    stomp as Tier3 and disable devour.

Boneshield is useless, we not playing Onos for being a static rock on the map.

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't even know why exos and onos are in combat, so stupid. Oh well to each their own.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013

Not sure if trolling...

Ammo wasting, forcing a reload, ability to hold off an entire corridor with gorge or lerk support... The boneshield is a fantastic ability when used well!
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Personally I love the competitive mode of combat with no onos (devour has to go. It Has To Go) and no ft, gl, exo, scan etc etc.
    There are a few servers running this and it's just so much better than the default combat mod.
    Did I mention that devour sucks absolute donkey arse? It requires no skill and forces another player immediately out of the game. Totally ruins an otherwise fun game mode.

The competitive Combat mode is much better! I used to lose interest in Combat rounds once Exos/Onoses came out and would often quit and find a new combat server. Now if only Combat fades did more damage to CCs, the game wouldn't that often end in overtime JP victory ;)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Roobubba wrote: »

Not sure if trolling...

Ammo wasting, forcing a reload, ability to hold off an entire corridor with gorge or lerk support... The boneshield is a fantastic ability when used well!

Ammo waisting???... Just stop shooting or shot at something else. Before your answer i couldn't imagine that stopping it at first "signal" (visual, sound) would be "skill'. You should try the faded. It help keeping it in the pants.

The faded is a fun mod, indeed. However, you appear to have mistaken my advice and correction of your misplaced assertion about boneshield's utility for a lack of experience. Boneshield works wonders in a team game (which let me remind you that NS2 is, even to some degree in combat mod). It's also not something you need only use to hold one particular spot. It has uses in retreating, delaying to allow teammates to flank/support, forcing reloads to allow well-timed attacks, and distraction.

I'm not trying to argue that boneshield (or anything to do with the onos) is really particularly skillful, indeed I'm mainly a lerk player in comp games, which I find provides a good level of depth.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    If you take onos/Exo out you gotta take JP out.... We all know the good players don't need anything but JP/SG/resupply and nothing short of devour will stop them. I JP don't counter fades, lvl 3 SG counters fade.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    If you take onos/Exo out you gotta take JP out.... We all know the good players don't need anything but JP/SG/resupply and nothing short of devour will stop them. I JP don't counter fades, lvl 3 SG counters fade.

Even though apparently now "We all know", I strongly disagree. Even after the recent alien nerfs, the gameplay is balanced enough even in the end-game JP/SG vs Fades to be fun and good practice. I'm not sure if this is the case on all skill levels, as currently fade vs JP/SG is somewhat more difficult for the fade, but it seems to work pretty well. Also, taking JP away would kill all marine mobility and allow fades too good a map control.
    The reason I would argue that JP is greater then fade is the team work allotted to JP. This is related to combat only.... But when you have 2 marines with JP/SG and 2 marine with JP/flame flying around a hive room it's bad. Resupply is far superior to regen allowing marines to survive infinite attacks if the simply dodge, while flames DOT/energy sap force fades to disengage to heal and recoup energy. Because this is combat there are no shifts or crags so this becomes very painful for fades as they can't heal on the burning hive and they are forced to hide and wait for regen or die.

In normal NS2 crags (health) shifts (energy) shades (saves eggs) whips (damage) all provide essential player boosts to the aliens. However the marines army lacking anything (Mac?). Marines get health/amo/scan/catalyst constantly anywhere these are com abilities. Where are my drifter abilities?

While I understand that having things like celerity&adreniline balances this to a degree in combat located mid map. I feel without a shift/crag/shade option hives are far harder to defend then chairs....

JP/gl/flam/SG do high damage and are highly mobile... Aliens most mobile fades/lerks don't have high structure damage... Where as gorges and onos are big targets...
    The reason I would argue that JP is greater then fade is the team work allotted to JP. This is related to combat only.... But when you have 2 marines with JP/SG and 2 marine with JP/flame flying around a hive room it's bad. Resupply is far superior to regen allowing marines to survive infinite attacks if the simply dodge, while flames DOT/energy sap force fades to disengage to heal and recoup energy. Because this is combat there are no shifts or crags so this becomes very painful for fades as they can't heal on the burning hive and they are forced to hide and wait for regen or die.

In normal NS2 crags (health) shifts (energy) shades (saves eggs) whips (damage) all provide essential player boosts to the aliens. However the marines army lacking anything (Mac?). Marines get health/amo/scan/catalyst constantly anywhere these are com abilities. Where are my drifter abilities?

While I understand that having things like celerity&adreniline balances this to a degree in combat located mid map. I feel without a shift/crag/shade option hives are far harder to defend then chairs....

JP/gl/flam/SG do high damage and are highly mobile... Aliens most mobile fades/lerks don't have high structure damage... Where as gorges and onos are big targets...

+1

Friendly Fire on? mwahaha nah just joking.
    Any skulk that farts close to a bunch of marine and it's TK all over the place. If only we could get some point for TK on the opposite side.

I really do not recognize my NS2 Combat experience in what you are describing and I feel your comparison to NS2 is somewhat lacking. You cherry-pick things like "no alien structures" yet do not account for the marine's lack of their most significant structures, the phase gates or their main combat advantage, the comm med/nano spam that can win them many a lost engagement.

The main advantages I consider the JP/SG to have over fades in Combat:
    -Lower skill floor (=easier to get the hang off)
    -Can weld CC
    -Can destroy Hive

These are not in my opinion game-breakers. Sure, they give the marines an advantage in winning the game objective (due to CC heal and Hive damage), but they do not necessarily give an advantage in the actual fighting, provided the aliens have a couple of decent fade players. So, I'll much rather have game with JP/SG than a game with Fades completely dominating a jetpackless marine team that gets it on the midfield and is forced to turtle the marine base exits.
    @squirreli_ You say they lack there main advantage of med spam and PG's .. They have resupply catalyst and scan! In addition maps are much smaller with only 2 key positions (you spawn in one of them)

I cherry pick "no alien structures" because alien structures directly affect combat. However marine structures DO not affect combat. As such marines receive all the bonuses of all marine structures, and aliens do not...
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Remove gorges (or at least hydras and bilebomb) and the cloak part of phantom and the competitive combat mod will be fine.
    Remember that it's here to train, so who wins because of who is OP is irrelevant. It's just here to remove anything that doesn't require skill, and somewhat simulate the ns_ mod gameplay so you can practice. Killing hive/CC is just a goal, a way to give a flow to both teams, since deathmatch ala cs doesn't work with NS2 gameplay. Winning or losing doesn't matter.
    @King_yo
    Tell that to all guy that suffer on and on the JP FT. If you loose each time, you loose interest. Period.

If you remove cloak you end up with campers but not only in early game. Been there done that.

While a gorge must ninja like hell to get near anything especially on dumb large open NScombat maps. If you remove bile bomb, remove gorge directly. The only good point would be healing... kind of a boring thing and ultimately not rewarding fast enough (points).

Gorge without hydras can't keep up the pace with a LMG. In this case he should have faster spit (like bullets) which tends to get away from the original.

As you talk about training, how to train gorge if it is not close enough to NS2 ?
    Training??? BS! If you want this to be training, you should be limited to fade 1 time every 5 minutes and you shouldn't be able to combo Arden/celer.,, Nobody should play NS like they do combat!

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013

If you remove cloak you end up with campers but not only in early game. Been there done that.

Wait what... Cloak encourages camping and stealth walking in pubs. Removing it still allows aliens to ambush but also removes pub stealth walking and other fun tactics. King was talking about a comp-based combat mod, so people will go there to practice. If you get discouraged while you are trying to practice, you won't be going anywhere fast.
    joshhh wrote: »

Wait what... Cloak encourages camping and stealth walking in pubs. Removing it still allows aliens to ambush but also removes pub stealth walking and other fun tactics. King was talking about a comp-based combat mod, so people will go there to practice. If you get discouraged while you are trying to practice, you won't be going anywhere fast.

I talking about "Marines will camp more". You just have to find some place on map in which you will see things coming. And we're back to NS1 combat. Competitive mean competition, also win or loose.

If you want to create a competitive combat for practice you need to

1. remove impossible combos (adrenaline/celer, regen/cara, aura/cloak)

2. Penalise loss of high life forms perhaps with longer spawn times.

3. Utilise current competition maps

4. Increase challenge for everyone

Number 4 would be tricky since you want to keep balance and relevance to ns... I'd suggest more hazards, lava, cliffs, crushers... Generally automated things that will kill you (force you to be extra aware)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    If you want to create a competitive combat for practice you need to

1. remove impossible combos (adrenaline/celer, regen/cara, aura/cloak)

2. Penalise loss of high life forms perhaps with longer spawn times.

3. Utilise current competition maps

1. Yes
    2. Not needed unless you want to penalize the marine team for dying with better gear.
    3. Yes

Basically remove onos, exo, ink, gas, gorge hydras, emp, xeno, cat-pac, scan, camo and I am probably missing something.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Am I the only one that gets sad when I can't see what the "gigantic image macros" was?
    They should have used spoiler tags, then! :)

Personally i try to edit people's posts and do this for them.. but if i find myself having to do it consecutively for an individual i'll just begin cutting it, warning etc.
    /derailing
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Remove everything except shotguns, jetpacks, fades and lerks and you've got yourself a REAL comp mode ;)
    @squirreli_ You say they lack there main advantage of med spam and PG's .. They have resupply catalyst and scan! In addition maps are much smaller with only 2 key positions (you spawn in one of them)

I cherry pick "no alien structures" because alien structures directly affect combat. However marine structures DO not affect combat. As such marines receive all the bonuses of all marine structures, and aliens do not...

Med spam from a good comm is not the same as resupply. This should be self-evident to anyone who has played with a good comm ever.

Also, the smaller map means that there are more aliens per area of same size and thus you will get stuck unless you have good mobility from JP. The alien structures are not important either.

Training??? BS! If you want this to be training, you should be limited to fade 1 time every 5 minutes and you shouldn't be able to combo Arden/celer.,, Nobody should play NS like they do combat!

Wtf. Maybe you are serious, maybe you're just a forum troll I fail to recognize by name. In any case, I'll just leave your comment there.