New AMD GPU14

NemeNeme Join Date: 2006-11-29 Member: 58771Members, Reinforced - Supporter
In less than 24 hours, AMD is going to present their next generation GPU codenamed 'Hawaii'. Are you excited?

fZIRsgu.jpg

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Like in the CPU department vs Intel, I just hope AMD can release a GPU that's good enough to keep Nvidia honest. Its doubtful we'd have seen the type of performance jump of the GTX Titan had Nvidia not been at least a little fearful of competition from AMD.

Also, YouTube does livestreams now? How does one get access to livestream over YouTube?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Also, YouTube does livestreams now? How does one get access to livestream over YouTube?

If you've got partnership and your channel is eligible, you can apply to be approved for live streaming
    https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2474026?hl=en
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Not gona buy any more dedicated GPUs.
    I'm hoping their APUs get powerfull enough to run games like NS2 at a playable framerate. Maybe this hUMA system will make it better(depends on devs implementing it i guess).
    I'm dreaming of a sub 100W APU that I can put in a fanless chassis like HD-Plex or similar. Some silence would be awesome.

http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-h10-series/
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Skvate wrote: »
    Not gona buy any more dedicated GPUs.
    I'm hoping their APUs get powerfull enough to run games like NS2 at a playable framerate.
    Then you'll be waiting a long time because APUs are far from being powerful enough to run any modern game at any decent framerate or quality.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What Scardy said...

Also if you are just looking for a quiet system, there are plenty of ways to do it. Run a watercooling loop through your cpu and gpu, then replace all the fans in your case with Noctua. It wont be cheap but you get a dead quiet system.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well, the current APU(A10-6800K) gen is somewhat faster than my Phenom II X3 720 according to benchmarks, and i am capable of running NS2 as it is. If the built-in GPU can keep up, i will make the switch. I don't mind turning down the graphics to medium-low settings to make it run ok.
    Also, the only modern games i play are NS2, and Dota2. It all depends on memorybandwith and if this hUMA thing turns out to be any good, and used by developers.

As for silent systems: I've tried watercooling before, and i think it's a lot of hassle...and its not 100% silent :p
    Skvate wrote: »
    Well, the current APU(A10-6800K) gen is somewhat faster than my Phenom II X3 720 according to benchmarks, and i am capable of running NS2 as it is. If the built-in GPU can keep up, i will make the switch. I don't mind turning down the graphics to medium-low settings to make it run ok.
    Also, the only modern games i play are NS2, and Dota2. It all depends on memorybandwith and if this hUMA thing turns out to be any good, and used by developers.

As for silent systems: I've tried watercooling before, and i think it's a lot of hassle...and its not 100% silent :p
    Its a cool concept, but I guess I've never heard of memory bandwidth being the bottleneck for gaming performance. It may help APU's become more powerful, but I doubt it'll make forgoing a dedicated GPU worthwhile.

Also, combining a passive heatsink with some low noise case fans and a SSD can get you a very quiet system. I'm not sure how forgoing a GPU can make you a quieter system without these other modifications.
    edited September 2013
    I think it has to do with the memory on discrete cards. The memory on those are faster for what they are meant to do. The more "general purpose" ram in the computer is not specialized to do the same work. Since the GPU in an APU uses that memory, it might be a problem. AMD have announced hUMA technology to help the memorysharing between the CPU and GPU in an APU be faster.

http://www.slashgear.com/amd-huma-wants-to-speed-your-apu-memory-use-no-joke-30279900/
    The first cores with this tech is coming Q4 2013, and will probably reach the market early 2014.

The current APU can play games like DOTA2 ok, but probably not NS2. The OpenGL drivers from AMD are very poor, so since i'm on linux, i'll have to hope they make better drivers now that SteamOS has been announced.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    My 5800k is faster than my phenom 965. I can confirm that. The gpu is not good for serious gaming as mentioned. It is rumored though that the next line of apu's Keveri will have the equivalent of a 7790 onboard at the top end. That and further improved cpu.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    Even if we keep on progressing in hardware, it's not doing much because game developers still can't utilize it and have proven to be unable to do so for year after year

An example of a very well made engine would be frictional games 'the dark descent' engine, heck my computer was 'meh' at the time of that engine and that thing was a beauty to look at/play with
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    Even if we keep on progressing in hardware, it's not doing much because game developers still can't utilize it and have proven to be unable to do so for year after year

An example of a very well made engine would be frictional games 'the dark descent' engine, heck my computer was 'meh' at the time of that engine and that thing was a beauty to look at/play with

The game is "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" and they call their engine HPL2 (That is, "H. P. Lovecraft version 2")
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    That'll change with the new low-level API called Mantle.
    Battlefield 4 will showcase it in December.

What I'd like to see UWE support is TrueAudio. It'd do wonders for NS2 when you can exactly hear where that Skulk is crawling:

I definitely want a TrueAudio capable GPU as an upgrade for my aging HD6870.
    edited September 2013
    Sounds binaural. Its nothing new. Maybe their implementation in games is new.