Over 150 000 dollars !

Comments

• darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Star citizen is 2 years away from release. Cryengine 4 is being developed around it. It will be the MMO destroyer of publishers and investors. History is being made. Entirely on pledges. Everything you can pledge for now will be taken away from the website store in 2 months (November 23), when we reach 300k alpha testers(almost there now). Everything exclusive bought can be earned in game with reasonable effort(minus LTI), 90% of whats on the store is temporary. We know millions will play at launch and they will not have ships. So the influx from pledges will smooth the transition at launch. They will be able to work on your ships and work for the Empire until they choose to move from a nobody pleb to earning UEE Imperial Citizenship, hence the name. It's all optional, open ended sand box MMO Space Sim done right.

Before screeming pay 2 win. Do your research on the game, and what constitutes win in a sandbox super MMO, no really, do it! It's sub free with constant major updates for life after release. We will defend this with our lives and keep EA the f#@k away from this baby. It's the chairman, Chris Robert's universe, we are just along for the ride. It's his passion for the game that gets us. The depth, understanding and real community(we troll in the forums), is what gets us to raise our pledge from $40 to, $110 to, $350~.

I've never been this excited about the game. I'm actually optimistic since the game will create that new high from video games I can't seem to get since I was 12. Now that I'm older, with money, and now know what a good game is. I've plateaued. Star citizen looks like the cure/crack I need.

I love being a part of a dedicated clan 2000 members heavy. I love going on team speak and seeing 30 people just sitting around, talking about a game 2 years away from completion. I love being able to ask any developer any question, including the chairman, and get a response that isn't a script. I love that they will troll you if you're a derp. I love that they have common sense when handling support issues and will even joke with you. I love that they are going to seriously hurt stagnant publishers. I love that they are trying something new and ambitions.

I loved the NS2 that was ambitious for its size. I love the unforgiving history, dedication and excitement that forged the beast. I love that they release new content. I hate when they neglect the base game and their core customers. I hate that they don't communicate and ignore all community feedback when rolling out features. I hate that that they can no longer see the flaws. I want my old dev team back. I want NS2 back.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah, I know that it will not be pay 2 win and you can earn the ships ingame. But they sell ingame items. And this might be okay for a RPG like game. But on a shooter it is a whole other story.

I like that in NS2 a match is a match, you don't get benefits for winning any previous rounds. So it is impossible to get items by playing. ergo: items you theoretical could purchase would be purchase only. I don't like both of this ideas. So -> I hope UWE never goes this way.
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    aaaand donated. They gave me my 4th mouse button, I gave them some money. Now buy yourselfs some icecream from that :)
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If i look ingame i expceted more people to donate. I think about 15 to 20% supported.
    Still i'm happy with the 150.000 and it's good they didn't use kickstarter.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I like edited 50 times. So my post might have taken a 360 from what anyone read lol.
    edited September 2013
    Chikun wrote: »
    Like what was said earlier, money from the reinforcement program will start coming in slower and slower so the only way they're going to make more money is drawing more people in. This is where a crack marketing team comes in. Or a marketing employee who's on crack.

As soon as the focus goes away from making a game great to advertising. That's a formula for EA status. They spend 20m~ making the game and fist 180m into false demos, focus groups and, bogus ads. People are too simple to know that the graphics never got better and the story was taken from a public stall, it's the hype, like apple, they want to feel important. Thus the placebo exists.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I like edited 50 times. So my post might have taken a 360 from what anyone read lol.

2 180s, eh?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    I'm still holding out for the moment, because I'm not sure if there will be an additional tier or not. I'm assuming there are a lot of people who are thinking thesame. In any case, 150.000 is a pretty sweet milestone to cross.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    NS2 sales and reinforced revenue are driven entirely by playtesters buying gift copies for their friends. True story.
    sN5D2My.jpg

No Onos badge? Pretty weak effort :p

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @darkhunt333 I'm assuming you are talking to me. I pledged 11/2012 (Colonel) and I always stay well informed :)

It's just that I don't like the community (based on my experiences in the NS2 and Kerbal community, two great communities) and I disagree in some points with CR*.
    I don't expect you to share my opinion, and I'm sorry that my previous posted may have offended you :)

NS2 sales and reinforced revenue are driven entirely by playtesters buying gift copies for their friends. True story.
    sN5D2My.jpg

!!!

So apparently if I go buy the other badges I will have 8. LOL Might have to do that. (PT, MT, Pax. Sup tier - shadow tier)
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    sN5D2My.jpg

!!!

So apparently if I go buy the other badges I will have 8. LOL Might have to do that. (PT, MT, Pax. Sup tier - shadow tier)

Don't forget to buy the Insider and Game Director Badge as well *g*
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    sN5D2My.jpg

FINALLY the truth come out and explains why everyone is so bad at this game. It all makes sense now.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @Narfak. I had to try it to believe it. That's just cool. So many badges.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, 150k is still 150k. Can not fall off with it. It's nice that people who have the game have also donated money out their own pocket when they had no obligation or need to. Just shows that there are grateful and thankful people in this community who deserve UWE's gratitude.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    sN5D2My.jpg

My checking account was completely empty when Onos came out. :(

But now I have Rainbonos.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    sN5D2My.jpg

My checking account was completely empty when Onos came out. :(

But now I have Rainbonos.
    I have some concept art for the Rainbonos.
    gEBUS.png
    Not an imagebourd, put images inside spoiler tags please :) - GISP
    edited September 2013
    The wild Bronos in its natural habitat. In a galaxy far far away and alone. It used to just eat men. Now it rubs its face against them.

Everyone's got to stop taking offense to being called gay. The idea of taking offense to being called gay is like saying that being gay is a bad thing and that's a hate crime. You're all gay.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So having multiple badges really works or was I just fooled :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    JCD wrote: »
    So having multiple badges really works or was I just fooled :P

Yes. It works. Do what I did. Donate $1 just to have two badges. Donating $76 is just fine to me. Having the Rainbonos is not for me though.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Let's compare sizes.

NS2 Reinforcement program:
    $153,823
    /2,902 contributors
    = $53 average

Star Citizen:
    $20,079,693
    /261,109 contributors
    = $76 average

The possible reward tiers for Reinforced are:
    $1, 10, 20, 40, 75, then a big gap filled with vacuum, 333 (severely limited and therefore (?) all gone), then a canyon and finally 8,000 and 75,000.

It's impossible to list all the different reward tiers of Star Citizen but it starts at $30 for the full game plus ship.
    Okay, let's take the $40 one, because you also get alpha and beta access there. That's it. You don't have to spend more (and I personally think that people who spend way over $500 without a single clue how it will turn out are not to be trusted with buying decisions... but that certainly won't stop them from transferring several months worth of income to Star Citizen...)

The thing is, that there are shiploads of options in Star Citizen to raise the average.
    Wanna spend $65? There is an option.
    Wanna spend $125? There is an option.
    Wanna spend $140? There is an option. Et cetera, et cetera
    Just have a look: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/newbackers

Considering the above, I'm quite positive that there are many NS2 fans who would spend anything between $76 and $333 you didn't cater to yet or who have settled into shadow after giving up on onos, although they'd have liked to spend a little bit more. Maybe not over 300... but something around 125 to 150...

Sometimes I think the self-contained NS2 bubble gets a little bit too thick and you are losing sight of the outside world while being in there, UWE.
    Kickstarters and -look-alikes are ON FIRE ever since Tim Schafer accelerated that thang to 0.9 lightspeed, which is my way of saying that a look at SC's ship prices could have helped you finding the right price points a lot.

Anyway, it's easy to be the smartass armchair commander feat. hindsight 20/20.

PS: I'm a backer of NS2, Double Fine Adventure (aka Broken Age) and Star Citizen.
    Bonus Trivia: Tim Schafer must have German roots, because Schäfer means "shepherd" in German :)
    I had a guy last night who was complaining that the people with shadowbadge must have hacks. He said this because everyone with a shadowbadge was just too good. He was probably a troll because there were 5-7 shadow badge people in that server.

He did have a point though. People who have the shadow badge are typically better at the game. People who play the game a lot, enough to get reasonable skilled, must love the game. We must love the game a lot because we paid an additional $75.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    I didnt donate and I am not going to, why? Because I cant be sure, that the game I donate for will be the same game I will have to play in a month or two(happend to me as I bought NS2 with gorgeous). It also gets boring after a while(no additional gamemodes, only a few maps), the maps are always the same(3-5 techpoints and a bunch of rooms), get some vertical maps. And the mechanics that dosent really work: vents(if you place vents than make more or make them safer for Aliens), Commander(place some structures and decide between A, B or C, idle).
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2013
    @Discowitz

So, you want the game to stay thesame, yet you also want additional content and changes made to game mechanics? ^^
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regarding star citizen, they asked for 500 000 dollars on kickstarter and recieved over 2 000 000 dollars and now they recieved another 20 000 000 dollars through their homepage. All because people donate to them. Why is everyone so hype about that game?
    Regarding star citizen, they asked for 500 000 dollars on kickstarter and recieved over 2 000 000 dollars and now they recieved another 20 000 000 dollars through their homepage. All because people donate to them. Why is everyone so hype about that game?

People excited about this game keep throwing around the term "Game of the Decade" and also saying "I have been waiting for a game like this."
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    @OAG:
    The story is more like that Chris Roberts wanted to raise 2 million and finance the rest through investors initially.
    The 2 million should serve as a signal that there is interest and demand for a PC (sic!) exclusive (sic!) Space Sim (sic!).

Well, what do you know? The campaign soon went past 6mio, then 9 and this week past the 20 million mark - with no end in sight.
    With that money, they can afford their own motion capture studio, a bigger office building for the Austin team (they got teams in 3 different cities), their own professional sound studio, Oculus Rift support, a behind the scenes documentary, first person combat, AMD TrueAudio as well as TressFX support and after release the ability to enter a planet's atmosphere.
    Stretch goal for 22 million is a Facial Capture System, which uses a series of cameras to capture real heads and import them into the game.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2013-05-09 Member: 185176
    @Neoken I talked about changeing the existing features, not something like some of the last patches did.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »

People excited about this game keep throwing around the term "Game of the Decade" and also saying "I have been waiting for a game like this."
    I foresee many disappointed fans in the future...
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

I foresee many disappointed fans in the future...

Weather the game is good or not I think there will be disappointment. Peoples expectations might be higher than reality can produce. If anyone can do it though, it is Chris Roberts.