Where are my bugfixes!? - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Kamamura wrote: »
    I hope the crazy marine strafe jump gets removed in 256, as it did allegedly in the BT. This "feature" alone has killed most of the enjoyment of the game for me (and others, I am sure).
    I've never had a problem with it. Why don't you post up some footage of yourself getting outjuked and we can provide helpful advice so you know what to do next time you can't hit a marine.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Yes, shall we try *not* to nerf marines with every patch.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    This will be a 99% stability/performance patch, not a balance patch
    edited September 2013
    I wish they would just stop messing with balance altogether. Fix the bugs, sort the performance, then just stop and move on. Use the Reinforced donations for the next project. I'm sick and tired of marines being nerfed every single patch. And alien win rates are consistently above 60% (or even higher), yet still they nerf marines with every "balance" patch.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    rantology wrote: »
    Industry wrote: »
    rantology wrote: »
    RedSword wrote: »
    System wrote: »
    The fact is, we bit off more than we could chew – Hitting the Reinforcement deadline with the ambitious feature set we set for ourselves proved a little bit too much.

I am disappointed by this. Since you own the game I feel like you could have postponed that update if you felt something was wrong...

I don't think they could have though. I think Cory has mentioned a few times on these forums, the reason for the crazy deadline on the patch was because they were able to secure a steam promotion and free weekend, which cannot be postponed. It was a great publicity opportunity to promote the new update so they had to do it.

Also PAX. They couldn't postpone PAX.

Oh, yeah of course. I knew I missed something but couldn't remember what. :P

What's more curious is that despite essentially missing this deadline, as reinforced was clearly not a stable build, they decided to implement the patch anyway. This is an interesting business decision and I'm rather intrigued by it.
    This isn't actually my usual rant. I really do want to know weather from a business point of view it seemed more lucrative to release a build that was essentially broken but contained a ton of new features, than stick with the stable but less feature complete one.
    As far as PAX goes, I can see how showing the game off in a controlled environment would allow to sidestep these issues, but as far as the free weekend is concerned I simply can't find any explanation other than some "release and hope it works out" finger crossing.
    It seems to me that the more sensible thing to do would have been to show off the new feature build at PAX as a preview and promise of even more features while keeping the stable version for the free weekend.

I imagine it probably doesn't seem quite as simple from UWEs point of view.

• exaltexalt Join Date: 2013-04-15 Member: 184821Members
    ... Survivor Wednesday, Breaking Bad on Sunday. Maybe by then?
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wish they would just stop messing with balance altogether. Fix the bugs, sort the performance, then just stop and move on. Use the Reinforced donations for the next project. I'm sick and tired of marines being nerfed every single patch. And alien win rates are consistently above 60% (or even higher), yet still they nerf marines with every "balance" patch.

You that the reinforce program is essential the opposite? So they CAN continue to work on NS2 and not have to move to a new project? And that is exactly why I have donated! So hopefully they keep improving NS2 for a long time! Yes I like gameplay changes. They keep the game interesting and fun.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    I hope the crazy marine strafe jump gets removed in 256, as it did allegedly in the BT. This "feature" alone has killed most of the enjoyment of the game for me (and others, I am sure).
    Can't patch l2p issues :/
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    kalakuja wrote: »
    Can't patch l2p issues :/

Actually you can.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Is one of the bugfixes mineshaft being banished to a circle of hell?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You mean docking right?
    You both mean descent and biodome, right?
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members

Are you getting these numbers from nst2stats or something? The two servers I play on the marines are kicking everyone's arse most of the time.

• ZeroouuhZeroouuh Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186409Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    What should be added to the BB257 is the rest of the body when you look down, there are so many FPS games where I feel like Im only a head running around with a weapon.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Mapper holding on to hope for a fix for the black thumbnails in textures and props from biodome! If i didn't get a crash when I exited spark, that would be great aswell <3
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Never release builds on Fridays. Never release builds on Fridays. Ok, lets see what happens today. No promises, but we're working on it.

(pulled that from their twitter account)

please UWE, don't tease us and don't rush that patch. Also S2Games released most of their patches on Friday's until very recently. Went good for the most part.
  • hyckshycks Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186848Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    when build 256 ? need fix for order taunt medpack ammo ... wtf uwe ???
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    hycks wrote: »
    when build 256 ? need fix for order taunt medpack ammo ... wtf uwe ???

Here is your fix: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179918598

Edit: I got too annoyed by those errors while debugging ns2stats ;)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    SeeVee wrote: »

Are you getting these numbers from nst2stats or something? The two servers I play on the marines are kicking everyone's arse most of the time.

You mean your 32 slot server?
  • hyckshycks Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186848Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    thank you very much GhoulofGSG9 !!! but WTF UWE for 256 ???????????????????????????????
    edited September 2013
    Bicsum wrote: »

You mean your 32 slot server?

I play a 24 man pub server that's located in NYC and usually marines are kicking some ace.

On the 32 man it seemed pretty much the same. Marines won most of the matches.

• tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    since they're currently busy fixing memory fragmentation and stuff like that, I guess it's more like this:

a67ha8z.jpg
    edited September 2013
    B3rT wrote: »

You that the reinforce program is essential the opposite? So they CAN continue to work on NS2 and not have to move to a new project? And that is exactly why I have donated! So hopefully they keep improving NS2 for a long time! Yes I like gameplay changes. They keep the game interesting and fun.

I know that's what they said but I think they should refocus. NS2 has had its time. It's not gonna get any bigger. Changes for the sake of change may please hyperactive people who get bored easily, but for those of us who like to enjoy a game, it just means massive alpha-esque game alterations months after final release, and the majority of game-purchasers just quit out of the game altogether.

I think NS2stats is the accepted measure. That plus plenty of personal experience.
    neither of the servers I frequent have ns2stats running so nothing is recorded unfortunately. It is not made clear by the other posts what kind of servers they are talking about, player amounts and pub vs non. Maybe the marine team just had the better players regarding the matches I am referring to. It's tough to say there are a lot of variables to take into consideration.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I know that's what they said but I think they should refocus. NS2 has had its time. It's not gonna get any bigger. Changes for the sake of change may please hyperactive people who get bored easily, but for those of us who like to enjoy a game, it just means massive alpha-esque game alterations months after final release, and the majority of game-purchasers just quit out of the game altogether.

They can't "refocus" now. Over 2500 People have already donated that they keep developing on NS2. If they refocus now, they have to give all the money back, and start a new donation program ...

I like if a game is constantly evolving, new content, new tactics etc. That's fun! I enjoy to learn new things! And I love most of the changes NS2 had. If you don't like what happens to this game, maybe this is not the right game for you? (And UWE is not a Developer you like, because I am pretty sure, they will handle their next project in the same manner)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Groundlerks- and skulks, walking fades, solo onos and little minion training gorges are playing on large servers most of the time.
    And not a single balance patch can help these players.

So, yeah, could be you see more marine wins on some servers.
    But that has nothing todo with missing balance.

The last balancepatch was against the aliens btw by nerfing the fade, not the marines. Marines using grenades or aliens?
    Cant remember anymore.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    And alien win rates are consistently above 60% (or even higher), yet still they nerf marines with every "balance" patch.
    Nope, alien win rates have been at 56% since Reinforced.

I imagine it probably doesn't seem quite as simple from UWEs point of view.
    Truer words were never spoken. All of the decisions that went into the Reinforced release and PAX show and all the promotional events around that involved many many factors, and we had very valid reasons for doing things the way we did.
    Zeroouuh wrote: »
    What should be added to the BB257 is the rest of the body when you look down, there are so many FPS games where I feel like Im only a head running around with a weapon.
    I don't see us being able to add this to NS2, as it involves quite a lot of complexity to pull off properly, and would be too much work at this stage for too little gain. However, I imagine this is something we are going to consider doing on any future FPS games we make.
    Vert^ wrote: »
    Mapper holding on to hope for a fix for the black thumbnails in textures and props from biodome! If i didn't get a crash when I exited spark, that would be great aswell <3
    I believe the black thumbnail issue has been fixed in this patch.
    Zeroouuh wrote: »

That feel when L4D2 comes out, and you have no legs :(

They can't "refocus" now. Over 2500 People have already donated that they keep developing on NS2. If they refocus now, they have to give all the money back, and start a new donation program ...

I like if a game is constantly evolving, new content, new tactics etc. That's fun! I enjoy to learn new things! And I love most of the changes NS2 had. If you don't like what happens to this game, maybe this is not the right game for you? (And UWE is not a Developer you like, because I am pretty sure, they will handle their next project in the same manner)

Since I have paid full price for this game, I have every right to express my opinions, and to demand a stable playing experience free of involuntarily imposed beta-testing, sudden catastrophic drops in performance, and alpha-esque changes to game mechanics months after official release. Since we are still at only month 11 since release, I damned well have a right to say what I want about a commercial product that I bought not even 1 year ago. I will of course be leaving this game behind eventually, but unlike the vast majority of NS2-purchasers, I'm not going to just quietly be run out of town in frustration at the poorly thought through (shall we say) decisions of the developers, and certainly not at the behest of fanbois like you.

Yes, I'm sure they will handle their next project the same way too, which is why I and many many others who I met on NS2 are not going to buy any more UWE products. Once bitten twice shy.

My point was that they should stop shooting themselves in the foot every 2-3 months, and just move on after 256 comes out. I'm sure those keen enough to donate to Reinforced will see no issue with the developers saying that actually they are gonna stop all active development of NS2. In any case, I believe that if they don't reach the $500k goal, they said development of NS2 will stop. I was under the impression that those who wanted to support UWE were asked to donate if they wanted. I don't see how refunds would come into it.