what happened to 32 man servers?

kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
-_- 24 man servers are so boring.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    They can't stand the recent but hopefully soon to be fixed lag.

inb4 debates about 32 man servers and ideal max server numbers:P
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I for one am a big fan of 32 mans
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've never been a big fan of 32 man servers, the game becomes incredibly unbalanced with that many players, it's unplayable.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I like 32 player servers now and then, also i can't understand why they want to have an artifitial limit, sure balance for 24 or less and give a recommendation but don't force the limit on others, it also ignores possible mods that would like more than 24, hopefully they do the right thing and remove the limit.
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    24 +2 is a good match up the +2 being spectators Diamond servers do it
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Electr0 wrote: »
    I like 32 player servers now and then, also i can't understand why they want to have an artifitial limit, sure balance for 24 or less and give a recommendation but don't force the limit on others, it also ignores possible mods that would like more than 24, hopefully they do the right thing and remove the limit.

You want a limit, because if too many people connect, they kill both the server performance and gameplay balance. Simple as that. IMO 18 is maximum, then the game becomes unplayable. Pubs can bear higher counts, because pub marines can't aim.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    dePARA wrote: »
    "
    - remove the alienenergy limit

Darwin Mode leaping skulk: activate
  • kendopekendope Join Date: 2013-04-06 Member: 184663Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    24 are generally boring yeah, which is why the game should be capped at 18p :>

I guess you like playing boring games.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Idleray wrote: »
    I for one am a big fan of 32 mans

I look at 24+ servers like I do the combat mod: its a fun diversion, but not for serious play.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I once shot 32 aliens and then they respawned... True story...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do not mind to see them gone tbh.
    I lost count how many times ive seen servers with 24 or more slots stating in there name 'blabla something blabla NO LAG', and then having a performance and tickrate which is so abysmal its hard to even put a name on it.

And then many players complain about lag, bad performance and the works.. No kidding!

If they want to 32m it, atleast 'mod' it so its split.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited September 2013
    You have to remember that some of the "lag" can also be on the client side if you are running and old junky PC with hardware that cannot handle the chaos. The more people in game = the more rendering and processing your PC will have to do and you can't do that on any rig considered obsolete in regards to gaming.

I don't know why people have their damn panties is a twist over the player counts. If you like 4V4 then go play it. If you like 8V8, 10V10 etc, then go play it. You don't see anyone who likes to frequent the high player count servers slamming all the peeps who like smaller player counts do you? (at least I have not in my forum travels)...That's because they know what they like and just look for the player counts that make their gaming experience fun. The only real freedom people have is choice so stop trying to take it away you commies :)

That being said... if you like 32 player chaos, gforgrenade.com welcomes you. I know a lot of you UK Chaps like the 32... not sure if you'll ping well to the G for Grenade! as it is in US (Massachusetts).
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    dePARA wrote: »
    "don't force the limit on others"

Limits are not good, so please UWE:
    - remove the clipsizelimit, i want to shoot nonstop
    - remove the biterange cause i dont like that i have to go close to marines
    - remove the alienenergy limit for nonstop blinking
    - remove the walls cause i dont like that UWE is restricting me where i have to go
    - remove the steamrestriction, i dont want to pay for the game

Yep, limits and restrictions should really removed with next patch.

Im surprised anyone agreed with this, you lot do realise this isn't actually a good argument? it misses the point and takes it to extremes, but sure ok player count is related to all those things and hax as well omg!!! :/
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @SeeVee
    you may have misunderstood me.

I am saying that I often see the big slot 'no lag' servers trash their own server rates/performance. I am infact talking about server side, as according to net_stats.
    Now do not get me wrong, this is surely not always, but new people do not know that.

Also I wont have much issues clientwise with big slots. But many other people, like you said, infact might. And they will expect it to run fine without performance issues. Lets not forget the game needs to be hex edited to enable such big slots server side. That is a indication its not yet designed to maintain such sizes server and/or clientside.

I will agree that if people want to play on insane high slot servers, that they should be able to. But rather then hex edit the server slot and just keep it in the main pool, id prefer if admins would make a server mod for it. Then folk who can will join, but there is less chance newbies will just hop on and think the performance on those servers is standard.
    Thank you for further clarifying. I was not replying to your post in particular as much as the whole topic and other posts in topics I have seen on the UWE boards mentioning player counts.

I'd love to have a player count mod... that'd be a lot easier than hexing the exe every patch HA!
    Another clarification.
    I did mean a game mod so its not ns2 but like 'ns2 max'.
    Ya know, a different game entirely.

Combat has proven that if its popular, it will run regardless if its a game mod or not.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    32 player server, subtract 2 for commanders on each side leaves 30. Divide by 2 for even teams leaves 15 active aliens on the map. Remember age old alien mantra, "when in doubt, gorge rush."

15 gorges bile bombing :O
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    20p servers still become unstable after 20-25min... and that's best case scenario on overclocked servers. 32p would just be constant and unbearable lag from the beginning lol
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Somebody needs to line up 32 skulks and 1-shot them with a railgun on video for the lulz. Would be entertaining to see. Then again, getting 33 people together to do this wouldn't be easy :-) .
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Somebody needs to line up 32 skulks and 1-shot them with a railgun on video for the lulz. Would be entertaining to see. Then again, getting 33 people together to do this wouldn't be easy :-) .

Oh god...the eggs needed to respawn that....
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Another clarification.
    I did mean a game mod so its not ns2 but like 'ns2 max'.
    Ya know, a different game entirely.

Sounds good! If someone codes it I'll put it on the server.

Here are my only requests:
    1) Does not alter game play from vanilla NS2, just ups the player count to whatever the admin wants up to 32 players.
    2) Has configurable server messages, MOTD etc.
    3) server side mod only, nothing that the client needs to have on their box.

Any takers :)

I'll be the test box too during development.

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Chikun wrote: »
    32 player server, subtract 2 for commanders on each side leaves 30. Divide by 2 for even teams leaves 15 active aliens on the map. Remember age old alien mantra, "when in doubt, gorge rush."

15 gorges bile bombing :O

Bilebombing? thats no fun when you have the option to place out almost 50 hydras in the main base if the commander is in on it :) Even with marine beacon you come back to an entire forest being constantly healed haha
    just to bad they patched commander res so he cannot go gorge in the beginning! Also to bad they patched entire game aswell so you have to mod the .exe every time you want to host servers above the lame capped lame players limit.