Public service announcement regarding hacking proof:

Comments

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited March 2013
    Unfortunately, I've had to challenge my typical "they're probably not hacking" stance when playing with a few players recently. They did stuff I haven't seen any player do (no matter how good). It definitely seems like there are some wallhacks/aimbots that are starting to become popular, which is a real shame.

What about people like myself with a "6th sense"?
    Sometimes I just "know" there's a skulk with silence closing in on my ass.
    Your "6th sense" as described here is almost assuredly your semiconscious recognition of the small red blip moving across the minimap in your peripheral vision--one blip from out of a litany of similar, historical blips which have, thanks to the gifts we call pattern recognition and Pavlovian conditioning, effectively trained you to react to threats lacking audible warnings.

In a related way, if you've played the game enough you know not only to check behind you regularly when up against shade aliens, but you've likely internalized the map locations in which ambushes are most likely in that exact scenario. As a human, you're more likely to seek additional meaning in the exceptions (exceptions being instances when these habits bear fruit in the form of a dead skulk). Because these habits will keep you alive sometimes, you're more likely to continue employing them, and they're more likely to work again in the future. This positive feedback loop is one of the ways good players get better as they sort through the choices which work and the choices which don't.

Importantly, I never said anything about getting killed as a silenced skulk. I understand that silence isn't a perfect ambush tool because I understand how the game works.

I'm a very vocal skeptic when it comes to hacking accusations (as I've been accused of hacking in many a pub game), but I'm now quite certain that certain hacks are gaining popularity in the community. For evidence, I'm referring quite specifically to videos like the aimbot proof uploaded to YouTube which was posted in a thread in these very forums just yesterday (now locked). This same video is also making the rounds over at reddit's /r/ns2 right now if you'd like to take a look.

In the reddit discussion, tyrsis explained the following:

"I actually stumbled onto how they are doing it. There is currently a wallhack that colours players red/blue, and also lets you see them through walls. There have been screenshots / posts about this before. Then they use premade pixel / color aimbot that is out there. I found it because people trying to figure out how to make one embedded one of my youtube videos into their forums and the analytics told me where they were at. So this is definitely possible, but not very widespread. Not sure if VAC catches it either yet, but it isn't exactly underground. That being said, this guy is so obvious. Especially him side shooting off the high walls in the alien hive like he was. I would say close to 15 bullets used each time."

Yesterday I was playing on the alien team in refinery and came up against two people playing exactly like the guy in the video (albeit more intelligently in that they avoided spraying at empty walls). My suspension of disbelief has been sufficiently maligned by the growing body of evidence, so at some point a simple "we're aware of the issues" from the developers would assuage many concerns. It's easy to find the specific tools being used by these people via Google searches (or at least older versions of these tools--I have no idea what's current), but I don't want to advertise or name them for fear that it'll only help the problem proliferate.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    edited March 2013
    any games have hacker or people play "pro" than you do pow , just a view by yourself
    in real life , "pro" or "hacker" didnt mean they play good than you do , but they have more advantage than you , so be cool and enjoy games

Ex : Mouse pad , Keyboard , Gaming gear , High-end PC...
    Coding and Programing (hacking::D)

Which mean if you and those you call "hacker" play in LAN games , with 2 same PC and Gaming-gear >> maybe you can easily win
    Rich man vs Poor man >> if they dont have money and fancy clothes , they just like poor people ( naked:D)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    edited March 2013
    any games have hacker or people play "pro" than you do pow , just a view by yourself
    in real life , "pro" or "hacker" didnt mean they play good than you do , but they have more advantage than you , so be cool and enjoy games

Say what again!
    *snip*

I dare ya, I double dare ya!
    *snip*

Please don't links to hacks, thanks. --Zaggy
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Haha shamed Goliath!
  • abcdef99abcdef99 Join Date: 2013-04-19 Member: 184894Members
    The email address doesnt work (tech-support@unknownworlds.com). I always receive a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏" when i send an email.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    abcdef99 wrote: »
    The email address doesnt work (tech-support@unknownworlds.com). I always receive a "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)‏" when i send an email.
    Seems to work fine for me using gmail
  • abcdef99abcdef99 Join Date: 2013-04-19 Member: 184894Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    abcdef99 wrote: »
    Seems to work fine for me using gmail
    I ve used hotmail. So it may be a problem with Microsoft but only for unknownworlds.com addresses.
  • WarcloneWarclone Join Date: 2013-04-23 Member: 184947Members
    edited April 2013
    I just want to say that I've seen people with almost perfect aim firing through solid objects like the cylinders that hang from the ceiling near smelting. I've also seen people repeatedly & intentionally teleporting across the room via lag hacking.

I've recorded video proof and submitted their steam IDs using sv_status to Steam and Unknown Worlds.

THE ENTIRE 18-MAN SERVER (Voogru Hive #1) WAS EMPTIED last night because of two lag hackers. It's hard to call this an e-Sport when it's so easy to cheat!

E: Do you want to see the proof for yourself? Here's a short video I took last night which shows hacking with 100% certainty:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/565743/NS2LagHackers.avi
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    The problem lies also in the detection tool players have.

I do believe that is why; when someone finds out, he goes public. While i consider it is better not to, i do understand why they go public.

-Players can't record like we use to do in NS1 because of version. A recorded file plays only on its game patch version if i remember correctly. Would be nice to have a "NS2 recorded file to AVI" tool. Also this knowledge (and reflex) for recording isn't in each player. A menu would be great. Not only for cheats but video edit.

-Consistency check is a joke right now. How things are done is not enough. It can be tricked easily. Rest assured i don't do and i don't tell how neither.

-Recent threads on forums showed that it is possible to go further than just "skinning" the game to make it easy.

-VAC. hmm. ok next.

I don't know if anyone is interested but it seems a mod should be made in that direction.
    Not only 1 click video recording tool but also:
    -Real consistency check
    -Proper mod cataloging and evaluation. What's ok / what's not for playing casual and/or competitive.
    -Proper analysis on client side (keyboard input also). And no!; you can't bash the space key 100 times a sec (100 hz).
    -Client screenshot upload...
    and so on.

But it'll need some code (also "hooks", etc) and TBH tech documentation isn't really public (did not find it). We have the basics like "hello world" on wiki but it won't suffice. Still i'm willing to make it. Any help appreciated.

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited June 2013
    -Consistency check is a joke right now. How things are done is not enough. It can be tricked easily. Rest assured i don't do and i don't tell how neither.
    Tell the devs at least...

I don't know if anyone is interested but it seems a mod should be made in that direction.
    Not only 1 click video recording tool but also:
    -Real consistency check
    -Proper mod cataloging and evaluation. What's ok / what's not for playing casual and/or competitive.
    -Proper analysis on client side (keyboard input also). And no!; you can't bash the space key 100 times a sec (100 hz).
    -Client screenshot upload...
    and so on.

But it'll need some code (also "hooks", etc) and TBH tech documentation isn't really public (did not find it). We have the basics like "hello world" on wiki but it won't suffice. Still i'm willing to make it. Any help appreciated.
    Good points, but UWE maybe don't care cheater, we bought the game and thats enough for them, like every other developer.
    Battlefield is full of cheater too...but at least, punkbuster is way better then VAC...
    Yesterday i saw an aimbot user again, people voted to kick him, he comes back, kicked again, then he left...then later a guy with a new nickname, got magic aim ;-)
    A anticheat mod would be the best, like you said, nobody can hit a key in a sec like 100 times, even 10 times should be a limit...
  • bleizhanbleizhan Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185855Members
    gnoarch wrote: »
    QUOTE (Katana- @ Dec 19 2012, 02:24 AM) »

can you tell me precisely what you think this will achieve?

He thinks it will make people think twice, he thinks it will give him an increased feeling of justice being served, he thinks it will make cheaters hide in shame and never come back.
    Now, we could try and argue how this is absolutely not how cheaters think and this is not how it will work and achieve anything. But the mob neither wants to see the bigger picture nor does he want to argue reasonably.

This doesn't work in the real world and it won't work here. Punishment doesn't help, tar and feathers will not prevent anything. People who cheat will be prompted to be more careful. ANd those who are intimidated and afraid of getting caught won't cheat no matter what the punishment is.
    If you start to hurt cheaters emotionally they will cheat even more, they will keep coming back for revenge.

And last but not least, UWE don't want to show how easy it is to cheat in NS2 and how many people are doing it because it will hurt the image.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    edited July 2013
    bleizhan wrote: »
    gnoarch wrote: »
    QUOTE (Katana- @ Dec 19 2012, 02:24 AM) »

can you tell me precisely what you think this will achieve?

He thinks it will make people think twice, he thinks it will give him an increased feeling of justice being served, he thinks it will make cheaters hide in shame and never come back.
    Now, we could try and argue how this is absolutely not how cheaters think and this is not how it will work and achieve anything. But the mob neither wants to see the bigger picture nor does he want to argue reasonably.

This doesn't work in the real world and it won't work here. Punishment doesn't help, tar and feathers will not prevent anything. People who cheat will be prompted to be more careful. ANd those who are intimidated and afraid of getting caught won't cheat no matter what the punishment is.
    If you start to hurt cheaters emotionally they will cheat even more, they will keep coming back for revenge.

And last but not least, UWE don't want to show how easy it is to cheat in NS2 and how many people are doing it because it will hurt the image.

...Instead of coding (yes coding, not LUA developing) something that is preventing most of cheat 'stuff'. At least checking if something smells.

A true shame as it is so easy to do.
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Maxx11_v2.0

Couldn't agree more, ive done the same thing for BF3. There literally are no "Cheats" that i have seen, there have been some really good mods that make it EASIER for the experienced player but none the less no cheats on my radar. From my old americas army days sound is very important to me as well as being tactically proficient
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    :) I've seen people accused of hacking while playing skulk. and nothing so pedestrian as a wallhack, full on aim assist... will wonders never cease.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Well even in this forum there is Nice and Bad people

So in video games >> just enjoy it :))
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Pointing out that cheating exists basically means saying that the game is poorly coded. Such an attitude won't win any friends on these forums.

Maoists had "reeducation camps" for nitpickers, where lots of fresh air and hard physical work brought peace and wisdom to people's minds.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Pointing out that cheating exists basically means saying that the game is poorly coded.

What?
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    necro'd (soz had to do it.)

Seeing way too many legitimate hackers in various games this days. Wondering if people still feel the same way. I've had to change my view on this after taking ~5 year break from FPS and now it's super obvious to me how many people legitimately hack these days. Especially on F2P games like Ghost Recon Phantoms, Warface etc
  • AbsurdonAbsurdon Germany Join Date: 2015-02-09 Member: 201274Members
    The reason why you should never publish "prove" on forums etc but instead provide them to admins/devs directly is as followed:

• videos when not super obvious don't prove shit (and I don't mean the "this has to be hacks 4 sure!!!!!1111!!" but more like teleporting oponents in front of him killing 'em ez, I've seen that in BF3 btw so much for PunkBuster > VAC these systems all have their flaws and hacks use these flaws to avoid detection. it's the same as with viruses and anti virus software)
    • publishing evidence alarms the cheater that he is under surveilance and makes him more careful
    • investigating on hackustations takes a lot of time as u might have to use tools to analyse server logs or get additional information about the player (additional logs on frequence of action input, reaction times, package loss, u name it) a warned hacker will just make gathering this impossible
    • u can't ban someone out of a whimp u have to have solid evidence it's like getting someone to jail you can't do this just because someone says so there needs to be evidence
    • alarming the hacker helps nobody even if he stops as there will be no way to identify how he did this

i've seen so many hackusations against players who just performed not entirely braindead it's ridiculous. u think he's wallhacking? me he's just someone in spec ghosting for him that's still shit and ruins the game but it's not actual hacking.

So next time you see someone suspicious gather evidence in silence and provid them to the authorities. they might not only be able to prove that he is hacking but also find out how it is working and prevent that in the future.
    keep that in mind when running around making wild hackusations

i've read that someone statet the posibility to hack means the game is poorly programmed. that is not the case. there is no such thing as a secure system (in this case the system is the game). there might always be a hole where they can break through and it does not even have to be in the games code as it could be in any used third party library or framework. pls check ur facts before posting such bullshit. the only thing u can do is make it harder for the hacker to get in but there is no way in such a big project as a complex game to make it impossible. u can analyze this to death but keep in mind that takes ressources. everytime you change something u have to analyse and test through everything again because there is no way u can prove that there is no influence on the other parts.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @purephoenix
    I played Warface for around 2 month.
    While the forum is full of posts about "hackers everywhere" i didnt saw many ingame.
    Sure, i saw some here and there (maybe one every 20 hrs) but that was not a big problem.
    But what i saw in EVERY game where people who are so bad in shooter-games like in no other shooter i played before.
    These people have zero brain hand coordination, struggle to learn the simple small warface maps and i would call them basicly braindead.
    These where the players who whining nonstop about cheaters after every personal death.
    Simple fact is:
    Warface (and im sure every other F2P shooter) has the worst average skill i ever saw.

Here is a small example after ONE week in Warface (in every other game you would still suck compared to the average pub skill).
    Typical Warface pub
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    dePARA wrote: »
    @purephoenix
    While the forum is full of posts about "hackers everywhere" i didnt saw many ingame.
    Sure, i saw some here and there (maybe one every 20 hrs) but that was not a big problem.
    But what i saw in EVERY game where people who are so bad in shooter-games like in no other shooter i played before.
    These people have zero brain hand coordination, struggle to learn the simple small warface maps and i would call them basicly braindead.
    These where the players who whining nonstop about cheaters after every personal death.
    Simple fact is:
    Warface (and im sure every other F2P shooter) has the worst average skill i ever saw.

Here is a small example after ONE week in Warface (in every other game you would still suck compared to the average pub skill).
    Typical Warface pub

It was nice of all those players to just let you run around and destroy them. Oh wait, they weren't doing that on purpose? lol.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @purephoenix
    Simple fact is:

Typical Warface pub

I shouldn't laugh about these people, but I did.
    I should, however, awesome that post, but it's actually kinda sad.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    @purephoenix
    Simple fact is:

Typical Warface pub

Boy, I haven't seen such suckage since TF2

Edit: only thing worse I've seen was the Jagex release of Ace of Spaces. The kids acted like they didn't even know the concept of violence. It was like slaughtering harmless kittens :(
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    I was called "cheater" in every *snip* round in Warface for 2 month. Also the "top clanplayers" are laughable there.
    Met maybe around 10 good players in 2 month.
    @purephoenix
    There are not more or less cheaters in Warface like in any other online game.
    NS2 had some cheaters in the past, i met around 7 in 4 years (wich is a laughable ammount compared to more popular games) and still has some for sure. (maybe a hand full)

So please stop with your "cheaters everywhere"
    The truth is:
    "bad players everywhere"
    And that comes from a player who is far away from awesome, me.
    Just imagine what real good players would do with the Warface players.
    But cause its an horrible game (performancewise, warping and stutters all day long) every half descent player didnt play it.
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    @dePARA i know bud. I went 100-3 as skulk with prey mo just 3 upgrades on lan in NS1.
    NS community is used to there being an 'overwhelmingly staggering, almost godly difference' between baddies and semi-pros.
    NS1 regionals was 100% hacker infested even, R18 etc in Aus even were super obvious about it. Things like nailing stealthed skulks even when it gave 100% cloack - and never checking/prefiring/space clearing any other time. Only ever shooting when there was a cloacked skulk and never missing it.

I actually (for the first time ever) hacked on a smurf account in warface to prove a point. Their anti-cheat is a total fraud, the company that's responsible for it (Gameblocks) only ever bans people manually. I've got hours of footage of people sending 3+ shots needle accurate from guns like the AK47 which has insane recoil.

This isn't something i really want to debate; It's more of a case of 'if you genuinely CAN'T spot it, you aren't looking or don't know what to look FOR'.
    No amount of skill can negate inherent gun spread/recoil. Pulling down on the mouse etc just controls walk. Walk and recoil are not the same thing at all.

Similarly, the teleport is an example of this 'i know what hacks are, but fail to actually see them' attitude.
    Teleport is in the multihack i use. So is infinite run, longer slides etc. These things are not modified by gear or more extreme than the gear equipped provides.

TL;DR it's not an opinion, it's an extremely easily proven fact (and as such if i have doubts i don't say a damn thing).
    I have a 2nd smurf account i'm 'stealth' hacking on, it's not perma'd yet. The first 'obvious' account took 6 hours and dozens of reports to get banned.
    In a business environment where companies would rather pay their cousin to create a shell corporation CLAIMING to be anti-cheat (but never really do anything legitimate) than employ somebody like me who actually knows how cheats work....

It comes down to the community to expose the rampant hacking and undeniable proof it exists.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is this thread specifically about NS2? It doesn't seem to be.