Sewlek's Beta Test Mod

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns1 had this awesome mechanic where gorges were required to expand so aliens had to sacrifice p-res to gain more res...just sayin.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Neoken wrote: »
    I'm still a bit undecided on the pitch black rooms. Overall it looks nice in most rooms, especially with the cysts/structures giving off light. It's very atmospheric. But it also seems like a big nerf to marines in general as it obviously makes spotting and tracking aliens much harder. Maybe you could try some compromise? For instance, keeping the cyst glow, increasing the pitch black phase after power is destroyed, but just toning down the red lights a bit instead of completely removing it?

Just give marines flare grenades. Especially rookies will feel cool using them. :p
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wheeee wrote: »
    ns1 had this awesome mechanic where gorges were required to expand so aliens had to sacrifice p-res to gain more res...just sayin.

Like it or not, the alien commander is not going anywhere. The best course of action is to go forward with balancing the game as it is, because the removal of the alien commander simply is not realistic.

However, I do agree that it's the primary cause of the current lifeform explosion problem.
    yeah, i understand alien khamm has too much invested to simply pull the plug on it. however, what if we allowed gorges to suck out extra p-res from empty/uncapped res points, and slowed down overall p-res production, so that gorges would come out ahead, but non-gorge fades would be delayed by an extra 1-2 minutes?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    ..So the gorge becomes a res node.... Gotta suck down that gas, become big and strong.

Who's going to sit on a res node for 5 minutes to gain res haha.
    no, because the gorge only fills up his own p-res pool, and it would require the gorge to camp an uncapped node while not contributing to the rest of the team - it is a strategic tradeoff; you can either choose to have 1 or 2 earlier fades, or have the gorge support an early push, or have the gorge fortify an area.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, the problem is no one is going to do that, it's way more worth that early game pressure (except in 24p server of course). Also that means the alien comm can't cap a clearly alien controlled res node. I dunno, I'd rather have an alien res node for pres for the whole team + tres than 1 guy getting extra pres.
    the node doesn't have to be clearly alien controlled res node. that's the whole point.
    edited September 2013
    If a gorge can walk up to an RT and idle on it, it's alien controlled...

EDIT: And no one is going to give up pres to go gorge for those small moments you happen to be in a res node area while the cyst is growing on the RT before the drop etc. Or at least, they shouldn't.
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    aYos wrote: »
    I'd like to see skulks start out with leap. I mean the way their body is composed, they are built to leap. Do a minor amount of dmg (way less than bite, more than para) and increase it's energy cost. I think this could help alleviate bunny hopping marines.

Leap already costs way too much energy. As it is, I feel like you get to use it once per fight, twice if you're lucky. On the other hand, allowing skulks to leap more often would do a great deal to increase their viability against jetpacks.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    Adren skulk with leap is pretty cool, if your fps cant support cele.

Either way, leap makes getting in range as a skulk super easy, which would mean you need to make him worse when he actually gets in range (in other words, worse than he is right now). Id rather just leave the early game simple and straight forward, and let players diversify roles and tactics as they accumulate res.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I was reading the change-log on the BT workshop mod, and I noticed this: "- disabled on infestation construction penalty for marines" does this mean infestation is back to purely being for building alien structures and bone wall?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    CD121 wrote: »
    I was reading the change-log on the BT workshop mod, and I noticed this: "- disabled on infestation construction penalty for marines" does this mean infestation is back to purely being for building alien structures and bone wall?
    Infestation still deals damage to marine structures' armor, and makes marine janitors angry.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Just checked out the new darkness/bioluminescence mechanic. Looks ****ing awesome :D

I have my doubts about it balance-wise though. Maybe make the flashlight beam a bit wider, so marines aren't forced to have permanent tunnel vision. I'd really like it if this could be made to work though, as it really improves the atmosphere and immurzion of the game.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like CrushaK's idea of adding flare grenades. That gives the marines a cheap way to counter the darkness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I love the dark alien areas, hope it makes it through to an official update.

-it makes alien & marine controlled areas more distinct visually
    -it makes territory control all the more important.
    - +1 for giving marines flare grenades.
    -I would suggest a very slight green tinged ambience light if possible, just enough so that walls are not completely pitch black.
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Also, Sewlek, can you make the 'fps' console command persistent until map change, or even client closure? Small annoying thing ever since it was added :P
    This. I turn on the fps thing nearly every round. Making it a menu option would be kind of nice, so it could be persistent through everything.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    ..So the gorge becomes a res node.... Gotta suck down that gas, become big and strong.

Who's going to sit on a res node for 5 minutes to gain res haha.

lol....

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New update... uhhh...

Only thing listed is,

"- new bio mass UI, gradually fills depending on hives health or research / build progress"

What happened?
    What happened to all of the changes? I thought they were great!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    *sad face*

I guess the higher-ups took a sledge hammer to sewleks ideas.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Or there is hope: Maybe they have been turned into internal beta. Who knows ;;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did a mapchange on my dedicated server and sewleks mod showed up again in all its glory. Something maybe went wrong while publishing an update to the workshop?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Edit: Ok just silly publishing tool then ;)
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Maxunit wrote: »
    I did a mapchange on my dedicated server and sewleks mod showed up again in all its glory. Something maybe went wrong while publishing an update to the workshop?
    Oh man, I hope this is the case. I nearly had an attack.

I hope that's what it is... I haven't been able to find a populated BT server to check.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Sewlek

Try metabolize for fades please. It's an addition to skilled movement and a 2nd hive buff that can prevent and/or protect against pinches. I feel like it's being ignored because it was in NS1, but it's such a natural way to buff fades on the 2nd hive in a way that still results in the ability to get insta-peaced.

Swipe->Blink->Shadow->Meta->Stab would work really well. My main concern here is increasing the importance of the 2nd hive without outright buffing fades.

LETS RECAP: What will Metabolize do?
    -Increase Regeneration ability reducing pinchability
    -Increase energy potential
    --Thus increasing fades potential "independence" from other fades

Will this cause a fade explosion? No. It will not change the current meta in such a way that 1st hive defense goes back to saving for fades. The team composition should hold as it is.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »
    --Thus increasing fades potential "independence" from other fades

I don't think this is something we should try to achieve. If you make a lifeform strong enough to be very effective on its own, (=without teamplay) you will make a ball of them overpowered.

It's simple: Whats better than 1 fade? 2 fades!

As long as they need other lifeforms to complement them, a fadeball is less likely and powerful. But creating a lifeform that doesn't need teamplay at all, will lead to the same problems we got already.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Wheeee wrote: »
    yeah, i understand alien khamm has too much invested to simply pull the plug on it. however, what if we allowed gorges to suck out extra p-res from empty/uncapped res points, and slowed down overall p-res production, so that gorges would come out ahead, but non-gorge fades would be delayed by an extra 1-2 minutes?

Wow, what an idea. Better yet - turn harvesters into player characters! Press LMB to suck up one tres after a timer is full. Better yet, make it a punishment so that the khammander can force players to obey him! Who does not obey or has no kills will be turned to a harvester for a few minutes. That will teach them!