Looking around

Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
I think its bad practice that the skulk moves his entire body just to look around and thus giving away his position with the movement. The same as marines.

In certain games you can hold the ALT key to look around which causes just the head to move and not the entire model. This is a feature that I think people would enjoy and wouldnt affect any sort of balance.

Comments

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see the point. It's an extra button that serves no real purpose when you can just position yourself better so none of your little extremities are poking out around the corner.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The skulks view point is in the center of its body, because it is more familiar to us bipedal humans. So doing what you suggest would not only turn the head, it would have to move the view model forward to the head at least temporarily. Seems mostly useless, and hobocop put it. Also, alt is the button for voice chat.
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    Seems pointless to look around without moving your entire body in circles?? Not only is the current looking retarded it gives away your position to be looking around when you want to be completely still and still be able to look slowly as marines pass by you.

It's called "Free looking" which a lot of games put in their mechanics. Even if you find it pointless I think that many people would like it.

The community on these forums seems pretty self-centered if you ask me. Im losing hope for this game especially as I hear there are only 4 devs working on updates?
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    'Free-looking.'

You keep using that term, but I don't think you actually know what it means. Looking around already isn't restricted in any practical way in this game. All your suggestion does is add a needless complication that doesn't significantly improve overall gameplay. For what? A smattering of edge cases where your character model MAY be visible around a corner, which could easily be solved by simply moving back a few inches.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    NS2: ARMA Edition Update
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited September 2013
    Vision305 wrote: »
    Not only is the current looking retarded it gives away your position to be looking around when you want to be completely still and still be able to look slowly as marines pass by you.

There's a big part of your problem...

Skulks shouldn't be hiding in corners watching Marines run around. They should be running in packs, ambushing and darting away, hitting extractors, etc. If they greatly outnumber you then go somewhere else, or do a suicide rush to try to kill a few and "thin the herd"

It's called "Free looking" which a lot of games put in their mechanics. Even if you find it pointless I think that many people would like it.

Oh really? "a lot of games" huh? Alright, name some. You claim they are plentiful. Name 10 FPS games that have a button for "free look" - Only games I've ever seen "free look" mechanics in is Flight simulators.
    The community on these forums seems pretty self-centered if you ask me. Im losing hope for this game especially as I hear there are only 4 devs working on updates?

So lets get this right.. You post some really awful ideas that would either be completely pointless, or would destroy game balance entirely... People respond with reasons why your ideas are bad, and some even offer the occasional tip to help you improve your gameplay... You claim we're a "self centered" community.

This is very clearly not the game for you. No offense, but you sound like you suffer from a severe case of the CoD mentality that kills are all that matter. All of your suggestions seem centered around improving your ability to get kills while avoiding death.

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    "I wont be responding to your comments as I am gone" Vision305, 12.09.13