32-Bit Crashes - What's going on!? - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    I thought Bill Gates was dead?
  • majorpainmajorpain Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187515Members
    Roll back to a build that actually works untill you get your sh*t together with this one?
    Is that not the intelligent thing to do?
    Offer a half arsed work around quoting "be carefull not to brick your PC's"?
    Yes, i have lost my patience now, what are you guys thinking keeping this build live with all its issues?
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I wrote at the forum, this "leak" (kinda, because the memory consumption grows over time anyway regardless of the cause) also happens on Linux, especially Debian Jessie (testing) amd64. Yes, the game can address more on 64-bit OS but nevertheless it's limited by 4 Gb memory per process. It's a fundamental limitation of 32-bit apps and it can't be worked around with PAE. PAE extends physical memory address space (what OS sees), not logical (what programs/processes see). Here's the brief explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5079519/memory-limit-to-a-32-bit-process-running-on-a-64-bit-linux-os Applicable to Windows to some extent, too.

So, we have almost entire 4 Gb available to NS2 running on amd64. It doesn't free us from the leak at all but at least it allows us to play a bit longer than those who run i686 OSes. I manage to play 2-3 games before it crashes. Nothing to be proud of, I guess... What's your count btw? Just to compare and maybe get to know if Linux version consumes memory faster than Windows one. Or vice versa.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I'm running Win7 64bit, HD6870 with 1GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM.
    I'd really like to get the new DirectX11 renderer running, but it keeps stuffing itself with all my RAM until it reaches breaking point at roughly 7GB which crashes me back to desktop. This process takes a while though... so I am able to play ~40 to 90 minutes until it happens.

My solution has been to simply switch back to DirectX9 which doesn't show this behaviour.
    DirectX9 runs perfectly on my system. Zero crashes and much smoother since build 255.
    Still, I'd like to make use of my DX11 capabilities.
  • SummerSkySummerSky Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187576Members
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    rkfg wrote: »
    So, we have almost entire 4 Gb available to NS2 running on amd64. It doesn't free us from the leak at all but at least it allows us to play a bit longer than those who run i686 OSes. I manage to play 2-3 games before it crashes. Nothing to be proud of, I guess... What's your count btw? Just to compare and maybe get to know if Linux version consumes memory faster than Windows one. Or vice versa.

Vista 32 bit here.

Before Reinforced: Could play for 3-4 hours until the first memory issues popped up (checkerboard textures).
    After Reinforced: Could play 2-3 matches until crash.
    After last patch: Can't end a single match before crashing.

It's a sad tendency.

While I'd love to have a 64 bit OS on my desktop PC as well, it's currently not an option for me. If I do an upgrade, I'd also upgrade the hardware with it, but there's no money left for that at the moment. And the hassle to set up a new OS with all your programs and backed up data is something I don't want to have to go through more than once.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    edited September 2013
    I understand many of you are unwilling to try nor should just for a game and that's UWE's responsibility to fix it, but if you're a tinkerer like me... i'll share some of my advice with you guys.

The memory limitations on 32 bit workstation flavored versions of Windows and lesser Server editions such as Web are purely artificial and this choice was made by Microsoft in order to fuel the x64 market. There would be little point in trading the massive retrocompatibility that a 32 bit OS provides even today seeing 95% of apps are purely 32 bit and a lot of the x64 ones also offering 32 bit support, while not losing any RAM to boot.

Do you guys have an option of trying (you can get a 3 month evaluation image from Microsoft) Windows Server 2003 R2 or Windows Server 2008 (not R2, the Vista based) 32 bit? This could help a bit. They are identical to Windows XP or Vista once you enable Desktop Experience and they have the very same functionality, except that you can use up to 64 GB of RAM. I think the only thing absent is Bluetooth support. And sorry, Windows Server 2008 R2 (7 server) and up are exclusively 64 bit.

Check this out, it's pretty useful info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SeeVee wrote: »
    I have seen games in the past (like the Unreal Engine Games) have a setting in the options to make all other players "one particular character model"... this was a setting introduced to cut down on the memory usage of lower end pc's and making the game less memory intensive. It also helped people with lower end GPU's as well because it didn't have to render so many different varying player character models.

Maybe UWE could add in an option to force default models, and when ticked only the ones that come with the game will be seen by that client.

I payed good money for my skins and i demand all the 32bit noobs with ancient PC's see them and / or crash.
    TROLL O LOL OL OL OLO LOL
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    64-bit windows 7 that I installed from their website... been telling me that "You must activate today." for the last 2 months since I built my computer...

Haven't had any crashes or hitches in game for 255...

Flawless
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Athlon 64 was released exactly 10 years ago next week and 4GB of DDR3 is maybe $25.
    1310497097772.gif
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wellp, time to finally upgrade my win 7 pro to 64bit, thx microsoft for only chargin me $16! Hopefully this problem is fixed by the time I recieve the disc anyways, though! Would love to play some real ns2 again, combat gets boring.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have the license key you can just download (official) disk images for Windows 7: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Installs in less than 15 minutes from a USB stick.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    snaga wrote: »
    If you have the license key you can just download (official) disk images for Windows 7: http://www.w7forums.com/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads-t12325.html

Haha that got me banned from the Steam forums on piracy grounds u.u

i guess one of the mods was on his period :(

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Haha that got me banned from the Steam forums on piracy grounds u.u

Seriously? oO *facepalm*

But hey, who has time to click on a link before banning these days? :P
  • SkulkBaitsSkulkBaits Join Date: 2013-06-13 Member: 185549Members
    Glad my PC is sitting pretty at 16GB of ram LOL! :-) Seriously guys upgrade.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Tom_bmx can solve this issue within the day, And make the game run smother on servers up to 64 players than they are currently running on a 12v12 - i have told this for past 3 months in youtube videos on official ns2 channel and event AFTER that he ironicly held a conferance on memory allocations specificly in some google headqarter cuple countrys away from where he currently live.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah am not too comfortable using those steps, ill just have to wait. But for gods sake, hurry up man!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a solution to all this! GET A 64 BIT SYSTEM! ^^ It's cheap on ebay these days... bought a Professionel Win 7 for 30 EUR. It's better for your life anyway. You can enjoy more disk space, the best games ever made without glitches and blue ray movies from your hard drive. GO!

I've been meaning to for a while, but I have soo much things on my computer that i cant be arsed backing them all up.

My computer Is 64 bit capable anyway but I bought it from a friend when I was low on cash and he was using windows 7 32 bit. Since then though I have upgraded my GPU and PSU, I have some extra RAM from my Old computer I can install and have windows 7 professional 64-bit there ready to use but am just to lazy to do it all right now lol
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013

I did that but directly from the microsoft site. I had an key from a laptop I don't use anymore so it would activate and install. After that it just reminds me every 24 hours that I have to get a new license "today" lol

I just don't feel like buying the same software twice. Not when I could donate money to a more needy source... like myself or maybe some to NS2 every now and then... :)
  • dark_m1n1ondark_m1n1on Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188115Members
    The game crashes for me since the new updates and it never happend to me before on any computer even with only 2 gb ram. Now it crashes, even on my new computer that has 16gb ram and 64bit windows 7. Maybe it isnt related to this, but when it crashes, it often says "couldn't allocate bytes 20480" (I'm not 100% sure that its this byte number but I know it was this sentence) so it seems to be related.
    I've read some people saying its related to directx11, I'll try directx9 and see what happen.

Beside that little problem, I love NS2, its a great game, thank you Unknown Worlds for making this game and the free updates. I hope you can fix the crash.
  • Canny_MessapianCanny_Messapian Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187890Members
    SkulkBaits wrote: »
    Glad my PC is sitting pretty at 16GB of ram LOL! :-) Seriously guys upgrade.

Oh yeah, so I'll be able to play the same games I was able to play two weeks ago...
    No, mate. If I have to upgrade my PC for an update, then I'd rather have no updates whatsoever.
    I bought the game to play it, not to have to upgrade or wait for fixes every new build.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    a nice reminder that the 32b limit is including hardware like video card.
    a small read:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited September 2013
    Linux Mint 15 Cin. I have 16GB of system and it says: Could not allocate memory. I am having file match errors, cannot play on modded servers, got the red connection issue bug and sometimes certain inputs will just stop working and play back minutes later without me being able to interfere, let alone do anything about it.

Windows on the other hand works fine. Just some kinda sluggish movement and i dunno from where it comes, but otherwise it is lovely. And i find the update to be quite meaningfull.

I just wish UWE would break the game less often.

It really has become abit of a hassle. There is no warnings, nothing. They just force it upon you and then you gotta deal with the buggy thing. I dunno, if i support you for that.

You guys need give yourself more time for such massive releases
    and test better.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited September 2013
    Now i cannot edit this anymore, because the site is borked. I would even help playtest. How does all of this slip by? Gotta have better feedback and interaction with the community.

Maybe post a message via the ingame webbrowser saying: Folks we need some help over here. Please test this thing with us.

• darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    32 bit is deprecated. Drop the 2-3 starving Ethiopians with 32 so the rest may play without this fail. Why is it not already 64??!!!
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    And thus occasional crashes have been traded for permanent lag! Hallelujah, Praise God!
  • chikotochikoto Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183078Members
    @darkhunt333

Your own link shows that 1 in 5 people are running a 32bit Windows operating system

Windows 7 (not 64bit) 12.70%
    Windows XP 32 bit 6.83%
    Windows Vista 32 bit 2.32%

Not quite as few as your bad-taste comparison suggests.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been unable to play since the "update" the game simply wont work without a fatal crash. This is effecting both me and my sons accounts, how close are you guys to a fix and what compensation will we receive?