dee-rins ideas list...

joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited October 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
- gorge grapple hook
- elevators
- onos devour
- add the "Your Squad 'n'!" voice over (from ns1) when commander assigns marines into squad
- add unique rally point marker (with countdown timer?) for offensive coordinating
- show selected armor when spawning in ip
- skulk ability to grab/slow a marine with option for 2nd skulk to also grab same marine and then pull his arms/legs off!
- ride an onos
- start game voting system for first upgrades/structures
- marine ability to contaminate infestation spreads through chain disabling structures temporarily
- create booby traps from dead player carcass
- lerk lifts/carries a player/egg/structure
- user sprays

...i may add more to this initial list

in your comments please remember the purpose of this forum "Ideas and Suggestions" is to encourage not discourage ideas/suggestions.
if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    "create booby traps from dead player carcass"
    bodies really don't last that long, it might not be worth it.

"start game voting system for first upgrades/structures"
    Why not just ask the karm/com? if you start a vote, it takes about 30 odd seconds to finish, meaning you have essentially wasted that time. Also, the amount of options (viable or not) is quite large.

"ride an onos"
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131562/onos-mount/p1

"add unique rally point marker (with countdown timer?) for offensive coordinating"
    Ip's have a set marker, and the marine com can set a move here marker too.

"skulk ability to grab/slow a marine with option for 2nd skulk to also grab same marine and then pull his arms/legs off!"
    Might have to explain that one more, but it sounds like two skulks could insta kill a marine... or one skulk could be wasting his time.

The ideas are nice and varied, I'm just not sure they are possible. :(

On the plus side, Lerk-lift might make a comeback at some point, yay!

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Lerk lift is being tried out in the "Beta Test" mod.

P.S Alot on that list are new features, something the majority of community/UWE are not interested in/tired of right now

(And the cost of new feature/expansions is)
    s-THE-RENT-IS-TOO-DAMN-HIGH-JIMMY-MCMILLAN-large.jpg
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    dragonmith wrote: »
    "create booby traps from dead player carcass"
    bodies really don't last that long, it might not be worth it.

"start game voting system for first upgrades/structures"
    Why not just ask the karm/com? if you start a vote, it takes about 30 odd seconds to finish, meaning you have essentially wasted that time. Also, the amount of options (viable or not) is quite large.

"ride an onos"
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131562/onos-mount/p1

Ip's have a set marker, and the marine com can set a move here marker too.

"skulk ability to grab/slow a marine with option for 2nd skulk to also grab same marine and then pull his arms/legs off!"
    Might have to explain that one more, but it sounds like two skulks could insta kill a marine... or one skulk could be wasting his time.

The ideas are nice and varied, I'm just not sure they are possible. :(

On the plus side, Lerk-lift might make a comeback at some point, yay!
    that could be changed.

for fun and to make it part of the game/to encourage/support coordination in the core...for fun

cool!

not the ip marker, that's not what i'm talking about.

the idea isn't instakill, the idea is to have fun and work with another player to do something special cool and fun.

they are all possible and based on current and legacy features/ideas.

Nazo - sorry buddy, but i'm not interested in naysayers - thats not what this post is for and dont forget that the purpose of this forum is to encourage, NOT discourage ideas.

thanks for the comments guys.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    So, its a thread about people agreeing with you. Got some bad news Im afraid, that's not how I&S works. You have ideas, we have opinions. You'll have to learn to deal with it.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »

Nazo - sorry buddy, but i'm not interested in naysayers - thats not what this post is for and dont forget that the purpose of this forum is to encourage, NOT discourage ideas.

thanks for the comments guys.

Maybe I wasent clear enough, I enjoy new features/additions to the game. I am pleased with alot of the balance /expansion updates (gorgeous/reinforced) but people like me are in the minority right now (at least from what ive seen)
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nazo wrote: »
    Maybe I wasent clear enough, I enjoy new features/additions to the game. I am pleased with alot of the balance /expansion updates (gorgeous/reinforced) but people like me are in the minority right now (at least from what ive seen)

I think what you don't understand is that the new patch that was very recently introduced still needs to tweak bugs and features and the community is hesitant to introduce new variables that could further bog down debugging and balance.

A good analogy, if you'll pardon the politics, would be in the U.S., the hesitation to start another possibly unending war in the Middle East with Syria with the bad taste that Iraq and Afganistan had with public support.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    marines and aliens dont need "public support" - what they do need are spraypaint/tags and cheeseburgers randomly dropped around the map
  • SpiritwindSpiritwind Join Date: 2008-04-20 Member: 64116Members
    Lerk lift could be cool, it was a good addition to ns1 imo.

As for Marines, the main thing I'd like to see is the Heavy Machine Gun, and I believe it is something they are working on/considering, because there is information regarding it in the .lua files.

I would also like to see Gorges being able to build more passive buildings, such as mini versions of the craig, shift, and shade. Although the Gorge can be a great Offense or Defensive unit, it just dosent feel as interesting as it did in NS1.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am for the onos mount...
  • Vision305Vision305 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187724Members
    being able to move eggs to the front line with your little worker dudes and set it as automatic would be interesting to try. Could make it look like ants moving eggs around the map.

I like the idea of giving skulks a stun mechanism. A marine that gets jumped on or bitten shouldnt be able to run away and hop away from you so easily. The same goes for skulks getting shot. I think taking damage should slow you down a bit.
    edited September 2013
    Vision305 wrote: »
    being able to move eggs to the front line with your little worker dudes and set it as automatic would be interesting to try. Could make it look like ants moving eggs around the map.

I like the idea of giving skulks a stun mechanism. A marine that gets jumped on or bitten shouldnt be able to run away and hop away from you so easily. The same goes for skulks getting shot. I think taking damage should slow you down a bit.

vision, i like your whole ants moving eggs thing. i worked on a mod for hl2 called insects infestation and one thing i learned about termites while working on that mod was that the termite queen is moved by her little workers and its gross and neat and i love it!
    the whole stun issue is very tricky and may easily become only frustration, rage inducing, and worse of all no fun.
    personally, i think its more about diminishing not stopping...the skulks grabbing onto the marine are essentially playing a mini-game of tug-of-war/button smash!
    it would simply not be fun to have no control over your own movement...the ONLY exception to this that i've experienced in any game is when i'm riding in a vehicle or in the belly of an onos! [-O<

...adding devour to list...
    @Joohoo_n3d

I agree that completely being stunned could be annoying but at the same time I can see it being fun. Look at Counterstrike for instance. While you are getting shot at the game slows your movement down. You arent completely stunned but you also shouldnt be able to just hop away at full speed either when you are being bitten or shot at.

till this day people are still playing Counter Strike. I am not saying that we need to turn this into a counterstrike, Im just showing a successful example of stunning or slowing mechanisms in combat which work and are fun.
    One other thing that I have noticed is that the humans in this game have a 1 shot weapon called a shotgun. I have yet to find a 1 shot or 1 hit weapon for the aliens.

My style of game play which I like most is the stealthy sneaky approach. Thats why I like going marine with the shotty and waiting in ambush. People call it camping but it's what you would do in real life.

I wish I could deal more damage as a skulk for the cost of resources for an upgraded bite damage which you lose upon dying. I think it would bring back my excitement about playing the funnest unit in the game aka the Skulk. Right now playing skulks has lost my taste for the aliens completely as that is my favorite unit.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members

UWE has basically said Devour won't make it into the game due to the fact it's a CC mechanic.
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    UWE has basically said Devour won't make it into the game due to the fact it's a CC mechanic.
    please define "CC mechanic" for those of us that dont understand.
    thanks! :)

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CC meaning crowd control. It's a shorthand term for abilities that disable those affected and prevent them for taking certain actions. Stomp is pretty much the upper limit of where they want the presence such mechanics in the game. While Devour was effective and powerful, it was incredibly frustrating and boring for affected marines, and they aren't likely to put it back in the game.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Crown control, but basically things that take away control from the player. (people don't like sitting around)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    Vigilantia wrote: »
    please define "CC mechanic" for those of us that dont understand.
    thanks! :)

crowd control - a stun, aka being frozen
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Crown control, but basically things that take away control from the player. (people don't like sitting around)
    I personally think mechanics that slow your movement speed should be the only type of CC in this game.
    edited September 2013
    Hobocop wrote: »
    it was incredibly frustrating and boring for affected marines, and they aren't likely to put it back in the game.

that opinion doesn't reflect my own.
    i enjoyed the devour mechanic because i knew my team was chasing down that onos and if they killed him i would pop right back out...it was about tension and action and relief...i loved the suspense that when an onos was charging at me i was terrified he would eat me...terribly fun! bring it back!

thanks for comments guys!! !

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never liked Devour as a mechanic, but it was necessary because of the state of heavy armor and as a method of keeping marines from recycling weapons.

Now that bilebomb can destroy weapons, and Exosuits as the replacement for heavy armor being much more distinct from light marines with their own non-salvagable armaments and have more clear weaknesses than heavy armor did (cannot repair themselves endlessly without significant risk, the methods of continuous repair are much more vulnerable to harassment than other heavy armor marines in the train), there isn't much reason for it to be back in the game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2013
    Vision305 wrote: »
    @Joohoo_n3d

I agree that completely being stunned could be annoying but at the same time I can see it being fun. Look at Counterstrike for instance. While you are getting shot at the game slows your movement down. You arent completely stunned but you also shouldnt be able to just hop away at full speed either when you are being bitten or shot at.

till this day people are still playing Counter Strike. I am not saying that we need to turn this into a counterstrike, Im just showing a successful example of stunning or slowing mechanisms in combat which work and are fun.

Except this isn't a symmetrical game like Counterstrike. Aliens are very dependant on full control of their movement to be effective as marines require good aim and evasion skills to be effective. Alongside positioning of course ;)

Any sort of limitation on movement like stuns or slowdown mechanics when being shot will have a heavy influence on the gameflow and balance. It's also been tried and was deemed too much of a rage inducing mechanic mostly...
    added gorge grapple hook from ns1 :x